Party Questions

Shade

Hi all. I just received a call froma story I read at for one of their psychic festivals. A lady that I read for wants to hire me to do readings at a halloween party. Now, if the event is on haloween itself I won't be available but I'm hoping that it will be on the weekend.

Before I call her to let her about it I thought I should know what I'm charging.

So how have the rest of you handeld these? I've only ever been paid per reading (generally at festivals) never for a whole night.

I know some things that have been brought up in the past are to know about how many guests are coming and if each guest is supposed to get one reading or more than that.

I'm thinking I should plan at least 20 minutes per guest so 12 guests would be 4 hours.

What would you charge for an event like this? Is $30/hour too low? That would be $120 for a 4 hour party.

Umbrae

Could very well depend on the party size.

Party situations usually require 10 minute 3-card readings. Nothing too intense. You want to cycle through as many guests as possible.

Further, I suggest a Flat-Fee rather than a per-hour fee. Say you charge $300 or $250 for the entire night regardless of the time spent. 3 hours? 5 hours?

Remember, each guest - is a potential client (make sure each one gets a business card), "Feel free to call me if you have questions..."

Also remember that when you get there, you may be asked to read in a low-light situation. Is that a one two three or four candle deck? Can you read the images without picking up the card and holding it close to a candle to see what it is?

Remember, if you're charging $250 and you get there and your lighting is 2 votive candles - you gotta read...choose your deck wisely.

I love party reading...

Kahlie

Shade,

Have fun at the party =)

From what I heard of a friend of mine, there was a fee for the hostess for the coming of the Reader. (I think it was around $100 or something) and everybody would get a short 1 Card Reading. Then the Reader would be at a private table, and everybody interested could acquire a Reading for a fee.

Think on what you are most comfortable with, and don't forget to see if you do it in a private or non-private setting.

Kahlie

tarotbear

We have discussed this in many threads - but I'll be damned if i can find one! My suggestion for you is to go to the Tarot School site ( www.tarotschool.com ), click on the 'articles' button and look up "22 Suggestions for offering readings at Parties, Fairs, etc." You will be glad you did.

Been there; done that many times. My personal suggestions: Bring a package of cough drops/throat losenges for a dry throat. Bring a bottle of cool water to sip frequently if you need fluids. Take potty breaks! Once I had to bring a 5-candle candlabra with battery-powered candles with me because they turned off the room lights and left me in the dark! Bring a folding chair with a seat cushion - just in case (my chair kept disappearing when I left!). Bring lots of brochures or business cards and hand them out like Halloween candy. Be sure your readings are done away from the party in a separate room so that you won't have to scream over the stereo or music.

Last but not least - remember to have fun!

Shade

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Tarotbear you've given me an idea, I'm thinking of attaching my business cards to Halloween candy... it will certainly make it mor memorable.

Ace

In California, accorindg to someone I know there, they charge (flat hourly rate) $75/hr mimimum for parties. I would not recommend going below that. And suggest a mimimum of 2 or 3 hrs. Most parties I work want FAST 3 card 5 minute readings. Maybe 10 mins max. How many guests is this person having? if it is 12 people, then 20 mins per could work, if it is 20 people, cut your time, people won't wait all night to be read. This is of course, IMHO.

The thing is, value yourself. This is very expensive energy you are using. They should pay for that. Take water, and sip all night. And as Tarotbear says, potty breaks. Or just a rest break when you need it.

Congrats on getting asked, I bet you do well!
Ace

Alissa

... Don't sit next to the stereo.... My biggest pet peeve is having to SCREAM a reading at someone over the obnoxiously loud DJ/stereo playing. Eyeball your area right before you sit down, and like previously mentioned, make sure you're gonna be

1. Comfortable - How hard does your chair look, esp. if you're butt's gonna be sitting in it for several hours long? Are you directly beneath a fan (too cold) or in front of a firelace (too hot)?

2. Can see - Up to you, but the ability to see can be hard to manufacture in the atmosphere's of some parties. At others, it's not an even an issue. But be aware.

3. Can hear - I once sat beneath a DJ's loud speaker because that's where the hostess envisioned me, and due to space constraints, it was where I had to stay for a few hours. It was so miserable. I couldn't hear my people and my people couldn't hear me.

I would also recommend charging a flat hourly fee. I charge travel fees as well - for events, hosts have to pay for the time (and gas) it takes me to get there, esp. if it's a significant commute.

Shade

An interesting side-note. A friend of mine in my coven is a "party princess". She has these amazing costumes for about 6 of the Disney princesses and goes to little girls' birthday parties where she does a storytime, face painting and a magic show. I asked about her rate and she said she charges $180 for the first hour and $100 for each additional hour. I was impressed. When I told her what I was thinking of charging she instantly said "No, go higher."

Ace

Good for your friend! Definitely go higher. If they say, no they can't afford that you can come down, but if you say low and they say great, (since they were expecting to pay much more) you can't go up as easy.
go for it!
Ace

Emeraldgirl

I charge a flat $100.00 per hour fee if the hostess is paying. If the guests are paying (as does happen a fair bit) I charge per reading $20.00 for 10 minutes $30.00 for 20 minutes. Anything longer take a card and make a private booking. I have a minimum of 2 hours as well.