Freethinkers/Atheists & Tarot

red_dragon_ladii

Um, I was wondering, does it make sense for a person who is Atheist to believe and do Tarot readings? I am asking because, most recently I have abandoned the idea that a God exists. For a while I was considering myself an Atheist (having studied Tarot before this change), but then realized that some of the Atheist views do not fit the ideas that I hold onto (i.e. Darwinism, reincarnation, and being spiritually connected with everyone and everything through the universe). So now I consider myself a freethinker. But my aunt was telling me that I had to be religious to do Tarot. I don't really believe that, because the cards have nothing to do with any supernatural phenomenon such as a higher being that lives above the clouds.

Also, I have noticed that some of my friends find it hard to believe that I don't believe in God, but I can believe in a "deck of card board cards with images on them".

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or ideas about this? Can Atheists believe in Tarot, although they don't believe in God? Can Freethinkers?

(I just noticed, if you consider yourself a freethinker, you are able to think and believe whatever you want, therefore it does make sense for freethinkers to believe in Tarot.)

`Shadiya
Thanx in advance

jmd

I know quite a number of people who would consider themselves to be atheistic and use Tarot for various purposes, including reading.

Their explanation as to how it works, what kind of advice Tarot may give, and how it may be used may differ somewhat from my own - but that does not preclude Tarot usage.

For example, irrespective of one's worldview, Tarot can effectively be used for creative thinking, for counselling sessions, for seeing things from a different perspective, for alternative solutions not otherwise considered.

These (and other uses) make no assumptions about one's worldview other than images used on Tarot can assist in the above.

Moonbow

Well, I guess Freethinkers and Atheists can see whatever they like in the cards, as can everyone else, isn't that what makes them Freethinkers. There are people that use Tarot for many different reasons and for some religion doesn't come into it.

I personally find Tarot to be spiritual, which doesn't necessarily mean that it's religious.

Moonbow*

Grizabella

Maybe you're agnostic. Agnostics are willing to consider that there's some kind of higher power or higher intelligence in the Universe.

I don't think a person really has to label themselves. I think we're all on a journey and that it's up to each of us to explore and gradually find our own way and form our own beliefs as we go along, if we're not sure of them, without actually labelling ourselves or our beliefs if we don't want to. I'm enjoying the journey, not hurrying to find a destination. I like it that way. Maybe that's how you could see it too for the time being. It actually seems to work out quite well. :)

MeeWah

The approach to Tarot need not refer to one's philosophy, spirituality or world view. There are all kinds of thinkers here, including the agnostic, atheistic, scientific, etc & one can learn from all.

If anything, Tarot tends to broaden & enrich whatever perception & understanding, thus making it a unique experience for each individual.

My personal approach is that of the spiritual, but need not preclude the mundane.

red_dragon_ladii

Thank you everyone, all of your opinions have definetly helped me out, a lot.

Chubby Mummy

Im an atheist, and I read tarot!!

xxx
cm

Kimberly

I'm a Pragmatic Nihilist -- a fancy name for a specific kind of Atheist.

I am not sure totally how I think of Tarot... I believe it works but I'm debating why I think it works.

red_dragon_ladii

really? how cool!!

red_dragon_ladii

kimmee said:
I'm a Pragmatic Nihilist -- a fancy name for a specific kind of Atheist.

I am not sure totally how I think of Tarot... I believe it works but I'm debating why I think it works.

Oh, I hope you find out why you think it works.