Ever known of a child to get a reading?

ShekinahMoon

I went to a Halloween festival and parade in my city and of course at festivals there are many things do to. They had Tarot readers there and I got my first professional reading. I had a great experience with my first professional reading and I'm hooked on getting professional readings from time to time. This reading was a $10 five card 15 minute read and it was perfect for my first reading. The reader was very concerned about giving an honest reading and I appreciated that. When a card she pulled confused her (it confused me too) she stated it confused her and asked if I would like another card pulled to help clarify that card. And that did help.

As I finished saying thank you to the reader this child who looked about ten years old walked up to the reader and asked "Does this cost money?" And then he asked how much. When she said ten dollars this child was a bit stunned at the "high cost" and I was about to pay for him to have a reading because I just thought the whole situation was soooooo cute. Then the reader said something to the child that was wise. She said "I'm not a fortune teller. I'm not like the people you see on t.v." And I realized that's probably what this kid was hoping to receive. He probably saw this as something like a carnival magic show and the reader was wise to explain in such a kind manner this is not what she does.

I pondered the nature of Tarot reading as being a method to help people understand themselves on a deeper level and I wondered how DO you give a reading to a ten year old? Anybody ever done readings for children?

Grigori

I read for children occasionally. The first thing I learnt was they will not like any deck you buy thinking it will be good for children, so just use your regular deck :D

They don't much care for the long version and get restless pretty quick, so although I prefer large spreads I give short summary readings and then ask them what they want to know more about. Often it is just one specific thing.

The "fears and worries" type positions are usually more of interest to the parents (who are always present when I see children), the "advice" positions are usually of more concern for the child.

Children are far more perceptive and self aware than we give them credit for, and are usually able to explain things far better and at a deeper level than any adult. Don't rush to count them out of the process, as they're mostly really into it and very open to the discussion. (Unless they are being forced to be there by a parent, in which case just fill the time and give them a lollie when they leave :laugh: )

Ace

I do read for children often at parties. I tell potential clients that I will not do a party for children under age 12--you would be surprised at the number of 11 yr olds that want fortunetellers at a party but I dislike reading for them, I feel there isn't enough there yet to read!

If I am at an "all ages" or family party with kids under 12, I keep it short, mostly discuss who they are NOW. and keep explaining that the future is theirs to create-if they ask will I be a baseball player when I grow up, and the cards say they have the talent, the answer is you could be, but you might also want to be something else when you are older-it is up to you.
Ace

MeeWah

Though the younger lives relatively unformed, as in Astrology, however, Tarot can provide some indications of potential.

I am willing to read for children as long as they are brought by a parent & the parent comfortable with waiting in another room. I see privacy as integral to a reading session regardless of age or cirumstance.

Children amongst the most attentive & perceptive I have read for. Ditto for teenagers. I do not underestimate their ability to understand.

The youngest in-person client thus far was 8 years old. She wanted a reading after she found out I read for her father. He agreed on the condition it be a 'small' reading. Several years later & now a teenager, she still remembers the reading.

catlin

I do readings for children when parents request it (has something to do with the "German pocket money paragraph" which regulates doing business with minors), which happens mostly at the Silvester Fair.

However I don't read on parties as they are usually in a "not so serious mood" which I don't think appropriate for tarot (at least here in Germany where we still have to struggle to show that tarot is serious not something to make ridiculous).

Chronata

I very often read for children, mostly at fairs, festivals, and parties.

When I do, I am walking that line between tarot reader, and fortune teller...as catlin says..in that "not too serious" mode.

Often the reading will focus on a positive personality trait, talent, hobby or diversion that the child is interested in..and how they can relate it to thier goals and dreams of the future.

I almost never charge for these. Parents often want to give me money anyway.

Recently I was at my parent's house, the night they had a big block party.
I had a reading request from an adult...who never showed up again...

Instead, I had a gaggle of kids. One of them passed along the message that this was an activity that "you had to pay for"...so each one showed up waving a dollar bill.

So I used Majecot's amazing three card spread...the one I call the " bus schedule"...which is Where you are...Where you want to be...How to get there. I read for two hours for about 15 kids.
And it was eerie...how many of the readings..and the subjects were like the usual adult ones in minature.

I had the kids that wanted to know about thier spirituality...if they were psychic...
I had the ones that "tested" me, and didn't give much energy away....
I had the kids that just wanted someone to talk to, and the ones who asked what each individual symbol on each card was.

It was really a neat experience, in the end.

ShekinahMoon

Thanks for your replies. I normally think of Tarot reading as alternative therapy so I never really thought it would fit well for children. But I see it does. Hmm, now I wish I had paid for this child to get a reading. If nothing else it would have been a memorable experience for him.

I see both sides of the issue. I understand why a reader may not read for children and why some do. I guess it's like how some people make great elementary school teachers and why others would be better as college professors.

SphinYote

I remember getting a reading when I was eight or nine (I don't remember much about it, just the fact that it was a friend of my mom's who gave it). Of course, I was already collecting decks by that time, as well....I started down the steep path to tarotholism early in life....

SphinYote

ShekinahMoon said:
...Hmm, now I wish I had paid for this child to get a reading. If nothing else it would have been a memorable experience for him.
...QUOTE]

If his parents weren't around to give permission, it was probably best that you didn't. That's a situation that could get sticky really fast...parents get suspicious when another adult, a stranger, buys anything for their child in general, let alone something like a tarot reading that they could potentially have some sort of religious opposition to.

That's not to say that I disagree with thesentiment though. I think the experience could have been potentially a very good one for the child...but unfortunately it could have backfired in a bad way, as well.

Flavio

ShekinahMoon said:
I pondered the nature of Tarot reading as being a method to help people understand themselves on a deeper level and I wondered how DO you give a reading to a ten year old? Anybody ever done readings for children?
I've only read for my niece, when she was 4 y/o she saw me reading for my aunt and when we finished she said she wanted to "play", she actually had a very serious question in her mind, she wanted to know if she'll be a surgeon, I fanned the cards and asked her to pick one, she got Page of Swords! is that a YES! or what?

If you get the chance to read for children do it! you'll be amazed of the insights they have when they see cards for the very 1st time.