Tarot and spiritual development

TheoMo

I have been thinking recently about the relationship between tarot and spiritual development and I would love to hear what other people think concerning some thoughts I had.

In the last few months my relationship with the Tarot has really changed and I credit a lot of that to some maturing on my own part. I've kind of learned the value of just letting things happen, "what will be will be" and so forth. And much of that is due to Tarot, and I feel it is a good thing.

At the same time, the Tarot itself is a remarkable tool in gaining insight into situations, in giving advice , in forecasting an outcome. There have been times even when I've changed my behavior or questioned an original judgment I had because of a reading (which may or may not be a good thing, a different discussion probably).

Having learned some of the value that comes from letting things be, does Tarot (or some uses of Tarot, to be more precise) become a hindrance to a further sense of serenity? In confronted with a situation, does the thought that one should do a reading eventually come into conflict with the notion that what comes is what will come, for better or for worse? Are the attributes that make the Tarot such a great tool in promoting self-examination inefficient or perhaps even inappropriate at certain times?

I ask this just because recently doing readings on things that been coming to mind, I wonder whether it may have been better to just see what happens and deal with it at that point. I know when I do a reading I am comforted with the (perhaps false) thought that I have some control over a situation and that the Tarot can help me figure things out. But how much control do we really have anyway?

On the other hand, maybe I'm just asking the wrong things! Which is certainly a possibility. Perhaps there are other ways to use the Tarot other than "advice" "outcome" spreads which I like to much. Surely it must be possible to combine the best aspects of letting things be with such a great tool.

Anyway I hope I've made myself clear and would be interested to hear other thoughts.

TheoMo

dadsnook2000

My view is . . .

My view is that "what will be will be" is not quite correct. Let me explain.

First of all, I believe that if you want something, if you make a place for it in your life, if you have a good reason for wanting it, if you share your wish or dream or vison with others, and if you take some preliminary steps towards your desire -- then it will come. For me, it is that simple.

So, I can worry about those things that I can change, and I don't worry about those things I cannot change. BUT, this is not quite the same as "what will be will be." My approach is, it seems to me, more proactive while the "what will be will be" approach is more accepting and passive.

I see this as applying to how we expect the Tarot to be used. Often a question, a spread, or the cards will suggest a course of action and even a probable result. Without the action the result may never materialize. So, perhaps, how we use the Tarot and what the Tarot gives to us, may well be a reflection of how we participate in life. I see this process as being like what I experienced in my many years of astrology -- people always asked what and when something will happen, but they never put themselves in a situation where something could happen, they never made an effort to cause something to happen. Of course, they all had passive charts, so . . .?

I tend to frame my questions and spreads such that there are choices, results, actions to consider. The Tarot responds, although the answers often surprise me. Thats my view. Dave

TheoMo

dadsnook2000,

thanks for the really insightful response. I think you pointed out rather well that there are things we can change and things that we cannot. maybe this is something i should be exploring with the tarot.

TheoMo

Zephyros

Taort can be a fantastic tool for developement of all kinds. There are so many things that you can do with it, and it never runs dry. I grew up with Tarot, as I started at age 13, but I'm confident that it can be learned at any age! The perspective that Tarot gives us a truly wonderful things. For me, the cards usually do not give me answers, but only questions. Sometimes this is good, since it can make me ask myself question that I would not on my own. And sometimes it is less so, since I already have too many questions.

sharpchick

I believe we create our own destiny - our thoughts and actions direct the manner in which our lives go. I also believe that what goes around, comes around, and you can't completely escape the consequences of your actions.

Tarot readings can point out to us likely outcomes if we continue on a particular course of action or line of thought - then we can use our free will to decide if we want to continue on the same path or change direction.

In confronted with a situation, does the thought that one should do a reading eventually come into conflict with the notion that what comes is what will come, for better or for worse?
There are, as Dave pointed out, always some things over which we have no control, and we just have to accept those, although we can control our reaction to them. But as far as something being "fated" to happen - I just can't go there. My mindset is just too welded to "cause and effect."

Nuncle

I wasn't going to make any posts today, but here I am because this question interests me very much. I have just started back to tarot after a long break, and I'll explain why in a moment. First, though, regarding the issue of action vs letting come what may I have to say that I mostly agree with Dadsnook.

dadsnook2000 said:
My view is that "what will be will be" is not quite correct. Let me explain.

First of all, I believe that if you want something, if you make a place for it in your life, if you have a good reason for wanting it, if you share your wish or dream or vison with others, and if you take some preliminary steps towards your desire -- then it will come. For me, it is that simple.

So, I can worry about those things that I can change, and I don't worry about those things I cannot change. BUT, this is not quite the same as "what will be will be." My approach is, it seems to me, more proactive while the "what will be will be" approach is more accepting and passive.

The only thing I would add is not that I worry that a tarot reading might give me a path of action instead of waiting to see what happens, but that a tarot reading may urge me to follow some path or say "So that's what's going to happen" instead of making decisions and doing the work to make something happen. If I want to travel, I have to save money, make plans, etc.--it (probably) won't happen by itself if I just wait. On the other hand, TheoMo, maybe being active is "what happens" if that's where your spirit leads you. So there are different ways of putting this.

Anyway, I bought a deck of tarot card a week ago today (I couldn't find my old deck in storage), and am using the cards for the first time in a long tme. I learned from a very talented and psychic friend. I also had a reading from her teacher, so I understand their power. But after working with this for a few years, I just stopped. In the meantime, I went to grauduate school, got my doctorate (in Literature, which of course is deeply indebted to symbolic meaning), persued my life, teach at a college,etc. I have a rational streak a mile wide and a mile deep.

But a lot has changed in my life, and since making some old connections this summer I have been more interested in the intuitve side of things and have had some dreams, as though communicating with others. When ten days ago I had dreams about tarot cards, I decided it was time to get back into it.

I don't know if I will ever do a reading for another person. Maybe friends. I am more interested in developing intuition, getting in touch with whatever the cards lead me to, and understanding my life on different levels. The cards can do that. I suppose that is spiritual development.

For me, the cards provide balance. I don't feel I can get that balance from an organized religion, nor do I want to. I am also interested in bringing together the rational mind with the intuitive, which I think is a very powerful combination. And of course the cards even privilege that through the suit of the swords (that's why that king of swords keep appearing), the hierophant, the emperor, and perhaps the Hermit. So perhaps asking what a reading tells me, asking questions of the cards, or reversing--what do the cards ask me--is the ideal union of intuitive and rational.

Having been so rational in the above, I have to say that my cards are developing amazing energy, as I know they can. When the same cards jump out of the deck day after day, when readings and clarifications clearly reinforce each other, you know there is energy. That's my spiritual quest, to understand that energy and develop my intuitive sense of life. I can give you a rational explanation for all of that, but that's not the place I want to go. We make choices. Guidelines for the choices we make may be another matter altogether.

I don't think that one path necessarily excludes another. I understand and trust analysis for the powerful thing it is. I also understand intuition and energy and even psychic events (however they may be defined) for the powerful thing they are, as well. When I work with the cards, I don't take a skeptical or rational view. I trust their energy. But that doesn't mean I have no choices or free will. I don't think that's what you were saying, but this is how I am thinking about it. They give me energy and have proven good predictors in only a week's time.

Sorry for this overly long post, but the issue obviously has my interest. I hope it gives you somerthing to chew on.

Hoping that the rational and intuitive will someday yield me the world,
Nuncle

Cerulean

In addressing the three questions...

1. Does Tarot (or some uses of Tarot, to be more precise) become a hindrance to a further sense of serenity?

No it does not. I may feel sometimes that in seeking a tarot reflection or 'take' of a situation, that I am further questioning and creating energy around finding resolution to some of my anxious questioning. I feel that one or two tarot card draws or spreads might be helpful: but no more than one or two in a given time period.

Serenity to me comes after consideration and analysis. I need to consider whether my actions or abilities can contribute to a good resolution before I can rest in understanding that nothing else can be done that day.

2. In confronted with a situation, does the thought that one should do a reading eventually come into conflict with the notion that what comes is what will come, for better or for worse?

I think it depends on the question. If it's a question depends on someone else's action or motives or behavior outside of myself--it depends on whether their past behavior was responsive to changes in attitude or actions on my part. If the person can respond to my change of behavior, then that does change the outcome.

But there are times my card draws will not really effect the outcome of the event--just my consideration and analysis of it. I could draw wonderful cards sometimes about a bad situation--say my sadness at a dreaded outcome of an illness for someone I loved. This will force an analysis or outlook change on my part, because of my puzzlement of receiving 'good information' when I expect 'bad news' is inevitable. In the instance, my sadness or grief at an elderly person dying in my family was less so at the funeral. The cards that I read suggested that I felt the need to make family connections. When the family came together, this also promoted stronger communication with cousins and other family connections from me.

So the event happened--but the tarot reading was helpful in promoting a better change of behavior on my part.

3. Are the attributes that make the Tarot such a great tool in promoting self-examination inefficient or perhaps even inappropriate at certain times?

I believe if I geared a reading for myself toward an answer I wanted..if I didn't do reality checks, yes it would be inefficient.

Sometimes I do receive readings where someone asks me what a card means to me... and when I tell them my answer, they tell me I'm wrong. I believe my self-examination in that case is right; their answer for me is inappropriate.
If you as a reader find a card definition is counter to what the querent believes, after their 'reality check', the querent is likely to tell you the card is not right in terms of their view. In that case, your analysis of a card for yourself might be on the spot, but not right for your querent.

Here's another instance that I believe a tarot spread might not be right.
Sometimes I don't study as well as I could for certain tests, whatever the reason--my good cards might come up in a reading and suggest my wish will come true and past the test with success and celebration, easily. In those cases, the cards are not at fault that I was only average or didn't succeed as well as I could have.

I don't think I do well in 'future' or predictive readings. I can suggest outlooks, personal considerations, deeper understanding--but I don't think I'm
the type of reader someone calls intuitive or psychic. So for me, it's inappropriate to read for someone else's question, "Why doesn't so and so call me?" When is XYZ going to change their evil ways?"

I probably gave you more detail than you wanted--sorry. I just wanted to explain why even though I might be an analytical reader for myself, I also understand the same tools for self analysis may not be helpful for reading for another. If the examples given are inappropriate, I'll edit my responses or delete.

Thank you for your question.

Cerulean

ShekinahMoon

I have discovered that reading Tarot and Oracle cards has pretty much eliminated the "caught off guard" factor of life. Life happens as it always happens with the good and the not so great but I'm not thrown for a loop when things happen because my readings give me an indication of what to expect. In some cases I recognize the readings are more of warnings and I know what to watch out for. Like today when I did my daily oracle reading from the Madame Endora's deck the card that came up for immediate concern was the Wolf Card with the statement "Beware who you trust". So I have been very alert today with what I say to who and how I act around whom. That in a nutshell is what reading cards has done for my life. Helps me be alert to what I should focus on for that day. Helps me to keep a keen eye out for subtle situations I would not normally notice in relation to what a reading suggested.

I see that depending on reading Tarot has to be balanced though. I don't think that one should become a slave to Tarot reading by not being able to make a simple decision in life without pulling a card. But I see how the use of reading cards can help a person from becoming a slave to chance and fate and their lives being tossed around by those pesky twins (chance and fate).
:)