7 of Swords/Moon in Aquarius

dantarot

When I study the 7 of swords in tarot I tend to get a rather negative view of trickery and misinformation. The correspondence of the 7 astrologically is moon in aquarius. When I read about the moon in aquaius in astrology I get very positive traits of creative thinking etc. I don't understand why it's one interpretation in tarot and another in astrology. Any thought?

dadsnook2000

Two different systems

Tarot and Astrology are two different systems and any individual factor in either system has a place or context relative to other factors in that system. I find it quite distracting to associate specific cards to specific planets, signs, etc. except as a memory aid to help me remember the nuances of a card. But I personally never bring the meaning of astrological factors into a tarot reading or a tarot card meaning into an interpretation of a astrological chart. Its the oil and water thing with me. Dave

Grigori

I'm just beginning to learn astrology, but am finding the correlations very helpful to me, but I do not think that the 7 Swords is the same at Moon in Aquarius.

The Moon in Aquarius is one of the things that informs the meaning of that card. Some others are Netzach (including Venus) in Yetzirah (Air/Swords), the number 7, the Chariot card, as well as the visual details of the card and the tradition accumulated over time.

I am finding it useful to think of the Moon in Aquarius as the possible strengths of this card, and look elswhere for the cause of its weaknesses.

wizzle

I'd put it this way, the moon, astrologically is big, really big. Big even for an archetype. The 7 of swords is a card and mundane. So the moon in aqarius has many many many possible meanings, among which could be the one traditionally associated with the card. But it also has way more. Also, moon in aquarius in a chart isn't cast in stone in terms of interpretation. It's energies will be more influenced by aspects to the moon and it's placement by house than by sign.

But then, the same can be said for the 7 of swords. If placed between compatible cards, it's meaning shifts from it's rather sneaky side to something like flexibility of ideas or approach.

rainwolf

I think uranus gets too much credit for being weird. And lonely. I have my moon in aquarius and I don't think its very optimistic. It's like trying to combine emotions with a cold shoulder. Emotions and independence don't exactly mix. Others may have their own views however.

dantarot

I think rainwolf's thought about the moon in aquarius is one of the best interpretations I have seen! Having my moon in aquarius (I think in the 8th house), I have read about its meaning for years. All of them fairly "lovey-dovey and idealistic. And as I mentioned when I started this thread, almost all of the views of the 7 of swords in a tarot deck are rather dark and shady. Of course nuance and placement matter. But basically he is a darker side of the magician, both having the yellow background in the rider-waite. I go back and forth between using astrological references as helpful or looking at them as entirely different systems. Right now I see the connections and it has helped me both understand astrology better and tarot. Some cards such as this one are troubling for me. Another one I find an odd identity is the chariot as cancer. I always think of cancers as homebodies, not travelers. The devil as capricorn I can see some connections, but it's not the easiest either. I just ordered an oracle deck, forgot the name, that is made as an astrological card deck. I'm interested how I will find it after using tarot decks for so many years.

star-lover

i thought all the sword cards related to the mind, and the moon is emotion and need so i would have thought 7 of swords if anything would be mercury for instance in a certain sign or aspect if there is any correlation between tarot and astrology
just my humble novice opinion lol
personally i think the 2 systems are too different to be merged

paradoxx

I too have my moon in Aquarius (Idealisim and romantic behaviour is common for me), and the 7 of swords does show that for something to be maintained something might be taken away. Also the term "walking on swords" has been associated with this 7 quite often. (The Cosmic tarot shows a woman walking on a bare field with swords embedded into the ground and the TArot nova shows a rat walking on swords)

The moon in Aquarius is fixed and determined, a steady and fixed wind in the air, a determened cause w/o heistation. Lunar Aquarians are content to just raise the bar at their workplace, it is after all how that job becomes worth more. Once they have been shortfallen though, this placement goes into overdrive, but then ther eis the chance of overexertion. The placement is more complementry to a male than a female (aquarius being a mental sign, the moon being an emotional body.).

As for the chariot being cancer, think of the "vehicle of the mind", also Cancers are very very touchy about their vehicles as they are a part of their attached property and value.

rainwolf

Why thanks dantarot--I've been noticing that moon in my chart lately so I knew just what to say when it came up...that I didnt like it :D When I learned about the tie between cancer and the chariot, I was also confused at first. I realized however, that they both embody a central them--CONTROL, both gaining, keeping, and losing it depending on the context of the card. For the Devil, Capricorns are known as avaricious (sp?), which is what the devil implies, along with other things. I've also noticed that capricorns are very sexual once they start being, well, sexual.

Star lover~ I see what you mean, {moon} being in an ill dignified element (or neutral in tarot), but I think thats what makes it so....7 of swords; its out of place and that makes it the uncomfortable meaning it portrays, simply because of the planet and especially because of its sign.

Paradoxx~Idealism and romantic behavior are a thing with me too; idealism being a not-so-wanted trait.

Jai1216

7 of Swords is Moon in Aquarius. I am discovering more about astrology, so this is my take on it. The astrological attribution seems to fit to me.

Aquarius is about the transmission of knowledge. The Moon is about hidden aspects . . . I see exactly how they correlate. 7 of Swords is about hidden knowledge, deception, etc.