Collecting decks...

lilwinky

What makes you so inspired to collect all of the decks out there, because I have noticed that so many of you have like a "worlds collection" of Tarot cards.. so I just really wanted to know...I wasn't aware how "collectible" that they have been or are...so in some ways, this is all new to me...so I am just really curious as to how much you all have gotten up to,and do you use them all, or are some only for show, or collecting or what?

Why collecting different types, is it for the use of them or the range of so many different styles, and cultures,etc..would this be a main reason for collecting? I just wanted to know...I am not trying to make a case out of this.,...merely very curious...is all....like I said, this is very new to me....and now I am thinking that the people who have read me a long time ago, maybe they must have collected as well!

just curious...

lilwinky

Eco74

I just love the artwork and the inspiration different decks can give me.
Most are just used as art-galleries that I look through sometimes, and actual readings have been scarce lately because I've felt quite drained by other things.
They are starting to clear up though, and I'll be getting back to using my cards for things other than inspiration and making me feel good.

My collection is constantly growing but I find myself getting more picky with what decks I want to get. Not wanting too many that are too similar, I tend to look for the "odd and quirky" rather than the traditional type decks.

I really do live for those art-gallery moments, and having plans to work on developing my writing, they'll be coming in handy for inspiration aswell.

Myrrha

Some decks are very different from others. It is like reading two different books with similar plots but written from really different perspectives. Some decks apply the tarot archetypes and structure to different spiritualities or to myths and stories, like fairy tales or Shakespeare's plays. So it isn't just to have a lot of tarot decks, but to experience these different "takes" on tarot. This is my reason anyway, but I try not to have too many because it is easier to focus on the ones I have that way.

If someone has ten books does that mean they "collect books"?

--Myrrha

September Pixie

I don't have as many as others here do.. infact my collection is quite small.. it wasn't until recently someone said "you have quite a bit of them!!" that I realized.. yup, I too am a collector!

I don't buy my decks for their collectible value.. that would be kind of silly for me.. I use ALL of my decks, with the exception of the 1977 Thoth deck. I buy different decks because I like the artwork, I use them all for different kinds of readings, a lot of the time I will let the questors choose their own deck for me to read with.. i buy the deck because i connect with it on some level.. but most of all its usually cause I love the artwork :D

Cerulean

Main reason for collecting?

1. I like visual arts.
I like 78 cards that usually have illustrations, a higher and interesting meaning and used for inspiration and creative ideas--I like hobbies related to visual arts.

2. I like variety.
I like how I can get about 78 usually different images from an artist that can usually can be bought for less than an artbook.

The art can differ greatly and styles of decks might depict different meanings.

3. I like art history and there are historical 'tarocchi' decks...
...from the Western European Renaissance period. Of course, I also like learning about historical playing cards, as well--from Europe and Asia--specifically, Japan.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Lillie

September Pixie said:
I use ALL of my decks, with the exception of the 1977 Thoth deck.

And I usually ONLY use my 77 Thoth deck!

I just like the rest for looking at!

Funny old world, isn't it!

thinbuddha

Lillie said:
And I usually ONLY use my 77 Thoth deck!
I also only use Lillie's 1977 Thoth deck. You know those voices you hear at night, Lillie? Sorry, but it was me all this time ;)

Seriously though- the root of the question is, I think, why does a person need more than one deck? (AKA Aren't all deck created equally?)

Well, every deck is different. Each one has a certain mood. Each one has different images (OK, RWS clones have almost the same images, but most are not clones). So each deck is unique- some, of course, are much better than others. Some seem "right" for a certain situation. Some are just great fun to look at.

Prettymuch the same reason people collect anything. I know a guy who has more cd's than he could *ever* hope to listen to. Seriously, he has something like THIRTY THOUSAND cd's! Most he got for free when he worked for a radio station...... but he keeps them all- good and bad.

Me? I have around a dozen decks (not quite crazy, yet)

Lillie

thinbuddha said:
I also only use Lillie's 1977 Thoth deck. You know those voices you hear at night, Lillie? Sorry, but it was me all this time ;)

So! it was you all along!
You devil. :D

Right, now you've confessed, answer this!
Why did you keep telling me 'Two hundred and twelve' a few nights ago.
It's been doing my head in!

thinbuddha

Lillie said:
Why did you keep telling me 'Two hundred and twelve' a few nights ago.
It's been doing my head in!

Well, it is the numerical value for the Sanskrit word meaning "Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch". I can't make my instructions any clearer than that without risking reprisal from Mages representing Cyprus Hill, but I think you know what I need from you.

Lillie

:D :D :D :D

You're funny, you are...