Tarot Readers & Sex/Gender Demographics

FaerieStorm

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious to hear from anyone about this...I am needing some information and insight into the issues of SEX and GENDER within the Tarot community, Tarot in general, Tarot organizations, Tarot Reader demographics (# of Females vs. # of Males, etc.), etc. I'm curious about all of your thoughts because I am analyzing these issues for a Sex/Gender class I'm taking.

Thanks for all your thoughts and insights,

-FS

WalesWoman

I'll bet if you do a search you will find several threads and even polls dealing with these things you are asking.

LOL Sorry but I almost misunderstood what you were asking... since you said both Sex and Gender in the Tarot Community... and except for some racy remarks now and then, I don't think we have much sex in this Tarot Community... Live Chat... is another story. })

FaerieStorm

To clarify my question, I'm not referring to the act of sex or sexuality, I'm referring to biological sex (i.e. Male and Female) and the general demographics of Tarot readers (i.e. how many males vs. females, etc.), and even some general demographics on those who get Tarot readings (Male vs. Female). I'm just looking for general thoughts and personal experiences in the Tarot community...not necessarily REAL numbers.

Thanks, FS

PlatinumDove

From my experiences in going out to the French Quarter....most of the readers were females, or males dressed as females. There was one male reader that was flamboyantly dressed as a pirate, and he was the most awesome reader I had a face to face reading from.

From my experiences of online reading for other people, they were mostly female.

Annabelle

Hi FaerieStorm,

Well, if it is general thoughts and personal experiences you are wanting, allow me to share :).

I am female (as you can guess from my name) and I'm a tarot reader, although I do not read tarot professionally - just for friends, co-workers, whoever asks me, etc.

So far, I've read for men as well as women, in pretty equal numbers. I've read for a wide age range of folks too - from mid-30s to late 60s.

I have found that women and men tend, in general, to ask different questions. For example, my male querents have been more apt to ask me about their job searches, or about what they need to do to get ahead at work, or about their financial outlook for the year. My female querents, on the other hand, have been more apt to ask me about their home and family life, and are also MUCH more inclined to ask questions about their relationships with other people - "What can I do to help my son do better in school?" "How can I have a better relationship with my mother?" "How can I help my husband overcome his drinking problem?" etc. etc.

All that said, though, keep in mind that my querents are hardly a representative sample. I'm reading mainly for friends, family, and co-workers; altogether, it doesn't add up to a large group of people. Also, in part due to where I live and where I work, my querents so far have been all heterosexual (well, I'm 98% sure of that, anyway), all white, and mostly politically conservative.

I really wish I could move to another part of the country!