Going for a Position. Wish me Luck & Give me Tips =)

Kahlie

Hello,

I don't know if this thread already exists, I remember Elven writing a bit about going to find a position, and I was wondering how people did this, and what kind of tips and tricks you use.

I have done Readings with one of my Oracle Decks that strongly suggest I seek a position for live Readings. (Normally I'm strictly online and by phone to friends)
For some reason, I got a strong message popping into my head to ask for the Community Building that is like, 5 houses down the lane. Reading there would be perfect because it's close by. Plus I actually found a poster stating that they are looking for more activities there... (How much more lucky can you get?)

So, now what do I do?

I'm going to talk in person with the woman that is supposed to arrange the activities in the center. I am going to tell her I read Tarot and I'm open to Reading for the youngsters section, as long as they are 16+ or have parental permission. I'm free to read there once a week, or once every 2 weeks depending on the timeframe.
I'm also open to read there on Saturdays supposing there are other activities or they want me as monthly activity. Or to work there giving Workshops for a small fee a person.

Most of my neighbourhood exists of people who live in social housing, but it's not a mess or a bad neighbourhood. There are immigrants living here, but not that much either. From what I know, most that go to the community center are people between 16-30. There is a seperate place for the elderly, so they wouldn't be there. Sounds like a nice place to read.

How do I sell myself? What questions do you think she will ask? I'm also planning to offer tabletop gaming & card gaming. Should I ask for Tarot first, and then go towards the more "normal" subjects of gaming? Or should I first do gaming and then tell I do Tarot?

Any Tips and Tricks from people who have been there? I doubt she will ask for comission though...

Kahlie

Demon Goddess

Just like that.

Tell her what you do and be confident that you do it as well as you do.

Lay out for her what you need. Don't ask her, simply tell her, matter of fact, etc.

Good luck

T

ArwenNightstar

Kahlie said:
I have done Readings with one of my Oracle Decks that strongly suggest I seek a position for live Readings. (Normally I'm strictly online and by phone to friends)

I would list what types of workshops you would be willing to do. Kids might really enjoy Art Tarot.... take the same card from several decks and let them study it. Then have them create their own card. You will need glue and glitter and magazines etc, but it is a tremendous amount of fun.

tarotbear

This sounds corny, but with the 16-18 year old crowd you could do a workshop on what their birth cards are, what their year card is, etc. This way you can introduce them to cards that relate directly to them ... which may spur their interest.

As far as the interview goes, just be yourself. Skip the dramatic 'too much jewelry and heavy eyeshadow' route. Be a real person, not a phoney.

Kahlie

Thanks for the tips =)
I am going to be myself and be with my spouse, since he will be there offering things with me too.

I was thinking of:
- Art Tarot WorkShop
- Small Tarot WorkShop - Working with Major Arcana
- Birth Card/Shadow Card WorkShop
Or bigger Tarot Lessons

I guess what I need is a room too myself that is big enough for me to speak to all the people and/or a small room for private consultations while the other people are being entertained elsewhere....

I am going as myself of course =)

I was just thinking if it was better to talk about Tarot first or last ;)

Kahlie

ArwenNightstar

tarotbear said:
This sounds corny, but with the 16-18 year old crowd you could do a workshop on what their birth cards are, what their year card is, etc. This way you can introduce them to cards that relate directly to them ... which may spur their interest.

As far as the interview goes, just be yourself. Skip the dramatic 'too much jewelry and heavy eyeshadow' route. Be a real person, not a phoney.
I think that is a GREAT idea on the birthcards for the teen crowd. Would feed into the "me me" that they can be. And that is not a bad thing. I have three teens! 16, 17, and 19. :)

Kahlie

Well, I went, but the person responsible was not there...

They showed me the room, it's very nice, and you are definately able to hold workshops there, for just one Reading it is kind of empty, but, you might also have people waiting...

The person responsible will probably be back next week, and give me a call. I explained what I wanted to do and the person that was responsible for the building wasn't adverse to it.

I probably won't be doing it for the youth though, since the group is 10-16, which is rather youngish. I might make an exception for 16 year olds if they get parental persmission.

But, there is a card evening and the people there range from 23-75, so the adult range is there.

Now wish me Luck for next week ;)

Kahlie

Kahlie

Kahlie

Well,

I finally talked with the person responsible and they will allow me to sit there at least 1 time a week for free, and they are very interested in hosting my workshops. I have written down the workshops for her, and I hope she will contact me soon =)

Also thinking on what kind of promotional materials to make. The really nice thing is that she also works in another Community Center (20 mins walking) and she will also inquire there. PLUS all flyers etc. can be made for free =) That's quite a treat.

Now I have to decide on my business Cards and all that ;)

I'm very happy and anxiously awaiting news to finalise dates & times.

Kahlie