Have you found the 'One'.

Have you found the 'one'?

• Yes.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • No, but I am searching.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • No, I don't believe in the 'one'.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I believe you create the 'one' by using a deck and getting to know it really well.

Votes: 26 22.8%

• Total voters

Lillie

Since being here on AT I have heard of a lot of people who say they are searching for the 'one'.

Well.
Have you found the 'one'?
That one tarot deck that speaks to you in a way that no other does?
Or are you looking for it?
Perhaps you do not believe that such a deck exists, or that you create the one by sticking with one deck and getting to know it really well.

20 years ago when I started things were a little different.
There were not many shops selling tarot, and those did not have many decks.
There was no internet where you could browse through a thousand decks.
So, the second deck I bought I stuck with. I liked it, it was everything me (in my innocence) expected a tarot deck to be. I used it constantly and exclusively.
A year and a bit ago I got a computer, I saw all these wonderful decks...Wow!
And yes, I have bought some, just to see.
But I realised that I cannot read with them, yes, I can lay out a spread and read, but really I am just reading 'my' deck, by proxy.
I look a card and my mind converts it to the thoth version, then I read it.
So, it's obviosly the one, but probably that is just because I am so used to this deck.

So, how about you?
how do you see it?
what is your 'one', or are you still searching?

I am posting a poll about this.
Because I have never posted one before, and I wanted to try.

WolfSpirit

I voted Yes. I was never looking for the one but found it anyway :love: I know, it sounds like a declaration of love and probably is.

I can read with other decks, and I also like looking at and studying other decks, but the relationship I have with the Druidcraft is just different from that with my other decks. The moment I saw the first scan of it (before it was published) I knew I was going to love it. It is probably not objectively "better" than other decks, but for me it is deeper and more personal.
Aren't decks great - you can find "the one" and still have fun with others without getting into trouble :laugh:

MercyMe

I really don't think there is "The One" I don't think that about romance and I don't think that about tarot. I think, just like tarot, there are infinite possibilities. I resonate with different decks at different times. Just like with husbands. (LOL) ;)

~Mercy

MercyMe

Crap! I clicked the wrong button on the poll. I meant to click NO, I don't believe in the one. Instead I clicked, No but I am searching. Gah.

~Mercy

mysticmonkey

For the moment I just have my Fey which appealed to me straight away. So you could call it "the one" but that's just the here and now.

I've bought shoes that were the perfect "one". We had great times together, they made me feel great and they reflected my personality at the time but they'll be other shoes later down the line I'm sure. ;)

I think the problem can be when you enjoy something so much that you feel the need to surround yourself and consume as much of it as possible. Therefore buying lots of decks, books etc... instead of just concentrating on the cards.
I've fallen into this trap with other interests in the past surrounding myself with the information and community but somehow missing out on the actual thing that took me there, and I'm hoping not to fall into it with Tarot.

tieduptinkerbell

wow

neck n neck n neck n neck...

very close...lol

Emelya

i know it sounds wierd but i think thoth might be my "one" even though i don't have it yet. as soon as i saw scans of it i couldn't stop thinking about it and started having "thoth" dreams even with other decks under my pillow. i know what i'm asking for for christmas!

it's not tarot but my frouds fairies will always be my oracle "one". i connected with them immediately and that connection continues to deepen.

nyingen

Lillie said:
But I realised that I cannot read with them, yes, I can lay out a spread and read, but really I am just reading 'my' deck, by proxy.
I look a card and my mind converts it to the thoth version, then I read it.

That's really interesting...I have that going on myself with a couple of my decks, actually, especially the ones that are more sparse on the symbolism (the Whimsical comes to mind). Sometimes if I'm doing a reading with it I find myself thinking about what's on the card in my main deck and using that for reference instead. Not sure if that's "ok", but it does seem to work.

As far as finding "the one", I think a lot of it is working with a good deck and getting to know it well, one whose artwork really resonates with you and that you connect with. Not all decks are created equal, though, so I think some decks wouldn't likely be anyone's "one" deck. = )

Crystelle

I feel like I there might not be a Mr. Right, but the Mr. Right now works out perfectly! LOL
I suspect this bleeds into my present obsession with the Gilded which will more than likely be changed out in a year or two -- as we grow I think we see more in other decks, stray a little, cycle through a couple Mr. Right Now's and grow as readers! Ah if only men would just sit on the shelf quietly waiting for us to return to them with open arms the way decks do!!!

Chronata

I was lucky. I found the "One" for me straight away...20 years ago or so.

It's the Hanson Roberts. A truer friend I have never found in tarot...though there were many times I strayed from that deck to glean new insights from others.

And yet...I always come back to this one.
this deck reflects my personality so very well...and though I do read with many many other decks...this one is really my favorite, best friend.

that is ...until I finish painting my own tarot. then things might be different....