Why do some decks 'work'?

lawguy51

This is a question I asked Rachel Pollack last week at the Toronto Tarot seminar. Recognizing that the question has no answer, why is it that, in my case, I have around 35 decks but only 2 or 3 that I use for reading? What pulled me into using the Thoth? Why can't I ever make sense of a spread when I use a standard RWS deck but as soon as I started using the Golden Tarot, a RWS clone if ever there was one, I couldn't stop using it. Same with the Tarot of Prague. Why do I love the look of a deck like the Haindl but it is useless to me as a reading deck? Why does the Thoth deck always tell me the 'truth'? Why do spreads using the Hermetic deck (very Thoth-like) make no sense? I'd love your thoughts on this.

Lawguy51

Tk2dsky

I think it has to do with the energy of the deck creator. When they are creating the deck they are infusing their own energy into it. I think when that energy complements your own, it just feels right. Sort of the same with people...there are certain people that one immediately connects with for no appearant reason.
B*B
Ericka

inanna_tarot

LOL you might as well ask why do some religions suit some people! I mean Christians are all christians yet they prefer to be catholic, or any other denomination.

For me, I cant work with the RW, the colours, the symbols are all so forced. Its not a natural artistic deck, but most clones do. I cant explain why I like the thoth, maybe because its as brutal but as cheeky as I can be lol.

Blessings,
Sezo
x

TheOld

Yep energetical correspondence,
I'v learn with the years to be able to work with all the decks but some are more easy than others, when i got difficulty i just attune myself with the deck and theres it's better.
it's like communicating with peoples, whe have more afinity with somes than with others, energys things!!!!

Power
Omeada

Chronata

Tk2dsky said:
I think it has to do with the energy of the deck creator. When they are creating the deck they are infusing their own energy into it. I think when that energy complements your own, it just feels right. Sort of the same with people...there are certain people that one immediately connects with for no appearant reason.
B*B
Ericka

Huh. I never really thought about this...but that's a really cool theory, Tk2dsky!

I think it's about aesthetics. You are drawn to certain images that you just feel more comfortable or inspired when you work with them.

lawguy51

You know I think these are all valid points but for me, it's not so much the imagery but that with my reading decks, the spreads make sense, the right cards seem to come out like magic, there's a story there that I can tell. Other decks, cards come out and there is no story, no flow, I don't relate to what I'm seeing. Maybe it is magic ;) .

Lawguy51

Aura Wolf

I think decks just serve different purposes for different people. I think it's all psychological. I won't buy a deck unless I'm attracted to the artwork in a meaningful way. Some of mine just sit there--even if I feel totally in synch with the artwork--that is quite possibly their only purpose for me--I can't read with them to save my life. Sometimes I'll come across a deck with which I can do excellent readings for myself but not for others--and vice versa. Sometimes what seems a perfectly logical deck for a certain purpose turns out to be the exact opposite, or something we didn't think of. Sometimes one we'd never consider pops out at us one day and gives us spot-on readings every time in ways we can't explain.

I don't think it's something that can really be explained at all. But it's different for everyone. As I said, in my opinion--it's all psychological. Somehow.

la-luna

my idea on the subject is that a deck works for you is when it can connect with images of your personal subconscious (your personal and familial archetypes if you wish) when the deck clicks into these as pieces of a puzzle the information comes from your deepest layers without passing first throe the filter of your conscious mind over-thinking the whole process by making connections to standard and learned meanings of the cards and over analysing each and every reaction and answer that comes to you because there is no, or not enough connection between the vibrations of the deck and your own souls vibrations and inner images.

HearthCricket

I know what you are saying, and I wish I had an answer, too. I feel it is all part of the mystique of tarot. I know I have done readings with some decks that just never seem quite on, and others that have given me overwhelmingly accurate readings, that it is sometimes downright weird. Years ago I was using the Medieval Scapini-not even a deck that I liked or cared for, but it gave me such accurate readings that I am still amazed. Gilded, Golden, Sacred Rose and Russian all do the same for me. When you find a deck that is accurate, whether you like the artwork or not, I think it is karma, in a sense. That deck speaks to you and some sort of energy flows from it through your senses to you soul and "reads" it. I have also learned that sometimes a reading that doesn't seem to make any sense now, makes a great deal of sense later, and when looking back at a particular reading which you thought was failing you, was pointing in the exact direction. Freaky and fun, isn't it? :D

lawguy51

HearthCricket said:
I know what you are saying, :D
Finally! Yes hearthCricket, this is what I'm talking about. Not whether you like the artwork or 'connect' with a deck or feel the artist's energy, but why o why do some decks 'work'? And I think your response is as illuminating as we can ever get on this subject.

Lawguy51