Do you find that ...

mythos

either your very first impressions of a card, or your first learned keywords create a hurdle to get across in a reading ... or generally with a card.... find it hard to think outside your particular box?

mythos:)

jmd

...or perhaps the reverse: these may provide a means to step into the very first phases of the reading.

Grizabella

I find that my very first impression of a card, whether it's the learned meaning or something else that pops into my head, is usually what I should go with it. If I overthink it, then I usually miss the message that was really there.

MercyMe

Hmmm....ok, I'm one that has to consciously slooooow way down while reading for myself because I'm apt to just glance at a card in such and such position and keyword comes to mind and that's that, on to the next. Crappy readings that way. So I have to slow down and really look at the card and understand its relation to the position it's in and words may pop in my head, for example: RWS Four of cups in the past position. I'll think: "ok, stagnant, ...that guy looks more pissed off than stuck...and what's with the hand poofing out of the sky like that. Does he even see the cup? Or is he telling that imaginary person to f*** off? What's his problem anyway? Well, did you feel like this guy a while ago? How about yesterday when so-and-so ticked you off but you didn't say anything and stewed for four hours about it." Ah...there we go. So while I may start off with a keyword, I move to what I really see in the card right then and there, what's drawing my attention and what I'm reacting to. In this card, sometimes that poofy hand draws my eye, sometimes it's the three cups in the foreground, often it's the guy's facial expression and body language. If I don't take my time to do this, I will flit through the cards with cursory keywords and never really get the deeper meaning the cards are trying to tell me.

~Mercy

poivre

I first go into the definition of the keyword and then
a keyword.
Now I am learning to LOOK at the card,
it's number and suit.

I always do things backwards. I must say my confidence
is growing doing my readings by looking first and then
speaking! LOL

Julien

My very first impression -- the thing that pops into my head -- is often not quite right. It's like it needs to be fine-tuned. I'm not sure if that has to do with keywords learned when I first began reading the cards, but I am sure that, unlike when I meet people for the first time and am usually pretty right in my gut instinct, my first glance at a card needs elaboration and, well, fine-tuning, to get it closer to what is actually going on in the reading.

Julien

Ace

MercyMe said:
Hmmm....ok, I'm one that has to consciously slooooow way down while reading for myself because I'm apt to just glance at a card in such and such position and keyword comes to mind and that's that, on to the next. Crappy readings that way. So I have to slow down and really look at the card and understand its relation to the position it's in and words may pop in my head, for example: RWS Four of cups in the past position. I'll think: "ok, stagnant, ...that guy looks more pissed off than stuck...and what's with the hand poofing out of the sky like that. Does he even see the cup? Or is he telling that imaginary person to f*** off? What's his problem anyway? Well, did you feel like this guy a while ago? How about yesterday when so-and-so ticked you off but you didn't say anything and stewed for four hours about it." Ah...there we go. So while I may start off with a keyword, I move to what I really see in the card right then and there, what's drawing my attention and what I'm reacting to. In this card, sometimes that poofy hand draws my eye, sometimes it's the three cups in the foreground, often it's the guy's facial expression and body language. If I don't take my time to do this, I will flit through the cards with cursory keywords and never really get the deeper meaning the cards are trying to tell me.
~Mercy

Listen up guys! this is an example of the best (IMHO) way to read tarot cards. When I started I too memorized a variety of meanings for the cards Then I spent a long time trying to get past them! That is way you put the LWB aside and just look at the card. It will tell you things!
Ace

Emeraldgirl

My problem isn't the keywords it's associations. For example the Death card in the Mythic Tarot always reminds me of Darth Vadar so if it comes up all I hear in my head is the his little song. The lovers in the Gilded where someone once meantioned it looked like the girl was trying to get away. And thwat B****y little snail in the RWS 9 of Pentacles I can't focus on the rest of the card from that!!!!!!!!!!!! So no keywords no probs mental images lots of probs :)

MercyMe

I think it was Elven who said that she knows it's the right meaning when she gets that little feeling that says, "That can't be right. If you say it you'll look like a fool." Usually, it's exactly the right meaning! In reading for others, I've experienced just that same thing. I'm sure many of us have. I've learned to go with it, especially if I get that nag inside saying that. LOL

~Mercy

MercyMe

Emeraldgirl said:
My problem isn't the keywords it's associations. For example the Death card in the Mythic Tarot always reminds me of Darth Vadar so if it comes up all I hear in my head is the his little song. The lovers in the Gilded where someone once meantioned it looked like the girl was trying to get away. And thwat B****y little snail in the RWS 9 of Pentacles I can't focus on the rest of the card from that!!!!!!!!!!!! So no keywords no probs mental images lots of probs :)

LOL Emeraldgirl! In the New Palladini deck in the two of cups the lion's head above the couple looks like a pissed off hamster! I can't see anything else in that card!

But yeah, sometimes our associations get in the way. That's why I need to slow my pace and let all that noise play out and quiet down...THEN I can read the card.

~Mercy