Verdic Astrology

VoodooGyal

Anyone know what is verdic astrology and what kind of information can be revealed?

dadsnook2000

Vedic . . .

Vedic, not verdic, astrology generally refers to related methodologies that are practiced in India. A 'sidereal' zodiac (fixed star based) is the basis of planetary positioning unlike the more common 'tropical' zodiac (seasonal based) used in Western astrology. Cyclic tables, many complex terms (from the western point of view) and rules form much of the practice.

As with any astrological system, Vedic or Joytish astrology has its proponents and detractors. If you at the very beginning of your astrological explorations and if most of your contemporaries are western/tropical oriented, then I would follow their practice as it will make it easier to find help and resources in the relatively complex area of study. Vedic astrology has been adopted by a significant minority here in the US as has the many other methods of practice.

The best advice I can offer you is to initial stay mainstream, don't get caught up in trends, shortcuts or advanced subjects until you have all of the basics well understood -- a solid grounding will support your later adventures. And plan on taking five years or more to study and learn the major branches of astrology -- and that will include reading and understanding and using the knowledge from some 50 to 100 books and casting of hundreds of charts. Dave

catlin

Hi there,
The Vedic horoskope e. g. looks like a kind of diamond in a rectangle (I tried this kind of astrology first because it was used in Europe by Nostradamus and others (so it is said) and because I wanted to figure out how it works.

Minderwiz

Dave's advice is good and solid - for beginners it is better to get to grips with one method western astrology is the dominant form outside India or China.

Vedic Astrology is almost certainly mainly based on Classical Greek Astrological practices with an overlay of Indian, Persian and possilbly other themes. It is not therefore vastly different from its western sister, though different enough to provide real challenges for anyone who tries to learn both at the same time.

The square horoscope was actually typical of both Vedic and Western Astrology (with some differences in construction) until recent times - look in, say William Lilly's work, and you will find it used there.