Allowing others to handle your tarot deck? Yes, or no? Or... I don't know?

Sinistar_Phoenix

I woke up this morning (Yes, I woke up this morning) and was wondering something. Does sharing your Tarot cards make the performance or what not any different? I was just wondering this because... Hm... I don't know...

I know that my friends and I play Dungeons and Dragons, and my boyfriend was wondering if he could use some of the cards for the game... I said no, because, well, I'm used to all 78 cards keeping close to one another, hee hee!

And one more thing. About a month ago, I got this new deck of cards. They aren't playing cards, they aren't Yu gi Oh cards, and they are multiplication flash cards. They are these... "Well Worn Path" cards. My mom had bought these for me (Along with Jak II for PS2, woot!) because of my interest in cards.

This deck consists of 40 cards, and the deck does have a "Sun" and "Moon" card. hmm...

Thought you oughta know...

BLUGOBLARGENFLARGENMARGENMOOHOOHOO!
(Don't ask)

HudsonGray

Nope, letting others use the deck doesn't alter the workings for you in the least. At least not in my experience. Others may have different experiences though.

One important thing to make sure of is that they handle the cards ok, some people are aggressive shufflers and bend them in the middle by trying to do a Las Vegas riffle. Tarot cards can't stand up to that kind of rough treatment without getting a bad bend.

Emeraldgirl

I give the cards to the querent to shuffle so lots of people touch my cards. :) It's never seemed to have had a negative effect at all. The only danger is as HudsonGray said if someone is careless and bends or creases them.

catlin

I usually let others touch my reading decks (at least the standard reading decks) because querents have to shuffle them.

However, I have several decks I only use for readings for myself and no-one else may touch them (the same for the decks from my collection).

Sinistar_Phoenix

Thanks...

Thanks for your help. I guess that its okay for them to be used for Dungeons and Dragons... But if he bends my cards, he's gonna be walking home with three shoes: two on his feet an one... Well... maybe not.

Sinistar Phoenixxx
MACARONI IS THE SHIZ!!!

sharpchick

Sinistar_Phoenix said:
Does sharing your Tarot cards make the performance or what not any different? I was just wondering this because... Hm... I don't know...

It does to some people, and not to others. I personally don't let anyone handle one of my decks who doesn't show some respect for them.

And one more thing. About a month ago, I got this new deck of cards. They aren't playing cards, they aren't Yu gi Oh cards, and they are multiplication flash cards. They are these... "Well Worn Path" cards. My mom had bought these for me (Along with Jak II for PS2, woot!) because of my interest in cards.

This deck consists of 40 cards, and the deck does have a "Sun" and "Moon" card. hmm...

Thought you oughta know...

That is an oracle deck, not a tarot deck. It's only supposed to have 40 cards. If you will read the companion book that came with the deck, you'll see that there is a very good explanation of the cards (three different ways) in the section for each card.

Sinistar_Phoenix

Oops.

Crap, I didn't mean to say that they "Are multiplication flash cards", for there were two reasons for this typo...

1) The computer keys I was using at school this morning are crap. Well... The whole school's crap.

2) Someone was reading over my shoulder, and wondering why I believed in psychics and stuff like that, so I was typing fast so that she could shut up.

So yeah, sorry about the misunderstanding... And... I wouldn't buy a set of 40 flash cards, now would I? Well... As random as I am, I probably would.

Sinistar Phoenix
My McDonalds got all cold and icky.

P.S. I've read the included book a number of times... I'm working on my fifth time through it, I believe.

DarkElectric

Sinistar Pheonix, you are a total gamer, just like ME!

Actually, I have no problem with other people handling my cards, as long as 3 criteria are met -

1: They are a Querent. I let my clients hold the cards, and put their energies into them before I do their reading.
2: They are a friend. I don't like people I don't know pawing my cards, because mere curiosity seekers can sometimes be careless with someone else's stuff.
3: They are the sort of people who will treat other people's things with respect. (Refer to criteria 1 & 2)

One Armed Scissor

Funny thing...

that question keeps cooming up. Friends are usually suprised I let them touch them. Or they ask me, in a very serous way, if it's ok for them to touch them. They're usuually shocked when I say yeah. I guess other reader's they've known make a big deal about how no one may touch them except them or it ruins their magic. Probably Mexcican Brujos, those guys are usually anal about everything. I tell them their just cards, when I first got them, I used them to play black jack with my brother.lol

weaver

When I first became a serious student of Tarot, I read that one should never allow anyone to touch their cards. And so initially, I slavishly followed that advise. But I am a touchy, feely kind of person and it just felt bad to be so anal about the respectful handling of my cards.

Later in a class with Rachel Pollack and Mary Greer, I asked the instructors their opinion on the subject. Rachel and Mary both indicated that they always let others handle their decks. Suffice it to say, that was good enough for me!

Now I always encourage other's to touch and handle my decks when I am reading for them and think doing so enables me to do a better, more energized reading as the person I am reading for becomes involved in a very real way. Of course, I wouldn't be doing a reading for an individual who doesn't respect the cards so that sort of negativity is weeded out at the outset.

Still, if I was concerned about the possibility of bad energy being imparted to one of my decks, I would carefully wipe down each card and smudge the deck with some fragrantly burning sage.

weaver