Can tarot spreads be used for oracle decks?

sharpchick

I've searched all the ways I know to search in this and other forums, and cannot find a thread that speaks to this question.

I would think that some larger tarot spreads might not be good with some oracle decks, but since I've not been successful in creating a spread for my oracle deck, it seemed to me that several 3 to 7 card tarot spreads I like could also be used with my oracle deck.

Anyone have thoughts about that - either way? (Or if someone can give me a link to a previous thread that discusses this, that would be great.)

inanna_tarot

I cant see any reason why you cant use tarot spreads with oracle decks! I do it all the time and the readings have worked perfectly. Its not really an issue, if its a really good spread use it with any tool you wish :)

Blessings
Sezo
x

sharpchick

Thanks for the response. I have some favorite spreads I'm going to use.

Dolphin_Dreamer

Hi Sharpchick

I've done that a few times or used oracle cards or Medicine Cards in combination with the tarot as an elaboration.

Elven

Hi :)

There are some threads around concerning this! Im not sure where they are - I cant remember the titles of the threads :)

Tarot spreads can be used for Oracles for sure. A spread is a basic set of questions in a sequence. You can design your Oracle spreads if you have a list of your questioned prepared. A tarot spread is a great outline for this.

The only desicion to make is which Oracle, as some oracles may require you to reshuffle/cast/roll for each placement in the spread.

You can use the Oracles with Tarot and visa-versa.

many Blessings
Elven x

Sophie

I tend to use only the shorter spreads with Oracle decks - because for the most past my oracles don't lend themselves to large spreads. For example, the Faeries would go beserk if I used more than 5 of them! I also like to use Oracle cards in tarot readings - giving them a place in a spread, or overlaying a tarot card in a spread, or to use different oracles (including cards) in a reading. Some of my decks have similar themes (Druids/nature, goddesses/women, etc.) so I use them together to explore a question in various layers. Some oracles are multi-purpose, of course (e.g the Sabian Symbols or the Faeries).

Best is to experiment, find what suits you. You might find that large spreads with Oracle cards suits you fine!

Chronata

I absolutely agree with everyone else...
tarot spreads work just fine with oracles...and sometimes they work fantastically! :)

ShekinahMoon

I think a spread is a spread and can be used with any deck from oracle to Tarot to playing cards (if you know how to read playing cards).

sharpchick

Thanks for all the replies. I figured quite a few tarot spreads would also be good with oracle cards, but at least one of my very favorite spreads - the New Moon spread - wouldn't, since there is specific emphasis placed on trump and court cards in that spread. Since I only use that one for the new moon each month, I'll just keep on doing it with my Romani tarot deck.

Moonbow

In the back of the book for the Faeries Oracle (Froud) they actually recommend the Tarot Spreads book by Burger and Fieburg.

I think most spreads can be adapted to use Oracles.