The Blank Spot Revisited

Umbrae

I’m gonna wander a bit. I’m gonna meander way off into strange territories – but stick with me.

Sometimes as we’re reading, we get stuck. We look at a bunch of cards, or a card and go, “huh?” We look up at the client and panic sets in, “Shoot, they’re paying me $40 for 30 minutes and have no idea what…” Sometimes we wonder if we are fraudulent, “Why am I doing this? When will I learn?” The ‘committee’ in our head gets loud. If it’s an Internet reading we reach for the book, maybe that dog-eared one by John what’s his name…

The book’s no help, the ‘meaning’ doesn’t fit.

Extreme panic sets in.

I once wrote about “The Blank Spot,” and discussed extra-ocular vision mode (staring off into space), but some folks can’t grok that, and well, perhaps it did fall short.

Some of us are taught to deal the cards face up; it allows us to get a look at the big picture of the sitter’s life.

It also allows us to create a panic mode situation because there’s that group of cards over there making no sense, and the sitter’s staring at Death and the Devil, we’re staring at these other two cards…everybody panics!

I laid out the cards face-up for years (still do sometimes). However I find that it allows too many opportunities to become overwhelmed. Both you and the sitter can be distracted by stuff over there – when the ‘here and now’ is waiting….

When reading with the cards facedown, I find that I have more control over the relationship of the reading. Clients tend not to reach over to grab the Hanged Man (or what ever card…) and turn him over, or pick whatever it is up, “What’s this three Sword sticking in this heart mean?”

I find that reading facedown, and turning cards up as I come to them allows the reading to unfold in a much more logical, feeling, emotionally stable manner. The reading takes on a flow – rather than
Static
Little
Moments
Of
Cards
It takes on a dynamic stream…like life itself.

But still, sometimes we hit the wall.

Bang.

Sometimes it’s not the card per se, but a cessation of that flow….

Something – stops us.

I used to teach folks how to trade the stock market. My students ranged from Housewives to Hedge Fund traders, retired Doctors to high—powered Brokers.

I’d tell the folks on the first day of class, “Most books tell us to impose mechanical processes to the market and to be devoid of emotion. Most strategies fail because they eliminate the human (emotional) element. The markets are silent, and brutal, but not devoid of emotion. Emotion is the most dominant force in the market; when we understand it, it can be a source of profit. (After we spend a few days learning to read a ticker, you will recognize that the ticker (Time and Sales) is pure emotion).”

We’d spend the first four days looking at tickers. The students ask, “When are we going to look at charts?”

“Not before Thursday.”

We’d spend those four days looking at tickers of the Wholesale Environment and the Retail Environment (a Market-Maker ticker showing the movements of the Market-Maker’s bid and ask prices; and the Trade Ticker), and of course, a Level 2 screen.

In the trading manual that I wrote, and each student received, there is the paragraph, “You will want to focus on the rhythm or momentum of trades as they print. Typically, the tempo will accelerate as a stock begins to test a major technical level or even number (“The Fig [short for figure]) and will often signal a move.”

I’d explain that some days were Mozart, and some were Mahler; some were Bach, some were Beethoven – and that it was imperative to know the difference before entering a trade.

A student would raise their hand, “When we gonna learn charts?” They’d wave some chart book they’d read, “You know, I know about charts…”

I’d put on my serious face, ““Every thing that was, is in the charts. That’s the problem, a chart is history…it’s past…gone…it’s everything that was. Now a Level 2 screen, that’s the present. It’s real. Like the Zen Masters will tell you: ‘Always be in the moment’. That’s the key. Learning to read a Level 2 screen is what keeps you in the moment.”

Tuesday nights, Management would tell me about the complaints, “They wanna hear about Charts…I know…Thursday…”

I’d tell the class on Thursday morning, “It is highly recommended that you observe an issue at least 15 minutes before opening a position. Sometimes an issue will appear inviting. The chart looks like profit waiting to happen. Observing the behavior of the stock in the Level 2 Screen, and judging its behavior on the tickers can prevent a loss before it occurs.”

They’d be eager to get into ‘Real-Time’ Charts. I’d tell them, “Trade the truth…React to reality. The ticker does not lie. It always speaks the truth. Only fools with egos attempt to predict the hard right hand edge of a chart.”

One day out on the trading floor, on the last day of class, one of the traders asked me, “If you owned Sun Microsystems (SUNW) right now, what would you do?” I put it up on the white-board screen on the wall of the trading floor.

“I’d watch the tickers…”

And that’s what I did. It’d been on a hell of a run. And I’m watching the tickers. And watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and I took out my dry-marker…and watching…and watching…and took the cap off…and watching…and watching…pound a mouse button and pulled up the chart…and watching…and watching…and walk up to the board and make a mark on the board and yelled, “Sell! I’d be a seller right now!”

The traders and students roared with laughter…it went up a teeny more…and the bottom dropped. That was it’s all-time high. Did I know it? Yup. How? The ticker told me so. Not the chart (which was upward moving), but the heartbeat of the stock – the ticker. And it told me a full 90-seconds before the top…it told me when I pulled the top off my dry-marker. I was just waiting for the market to figure out what happened.

The flow changed.

Throughout the first few days of class, I’d take notes on the stocks that folks wanted to talk about all the time, the ones they were ‘in love with’. Chart day…I’d start, “Today, we’re going to learn about charting,” eyes would tear up with anticipation. Then I’d march them out en mass to the far end of the trading floor. Traders would smile; they’d seen it before. Then I’d run all the way across the trading floor and put up a stock on the far wall of the training room (which had a window for a wall) and they’d look wayyyyy across the floor at a chart.

“What do you think of this one?”

“Looks like a ski slope.”

“Looks like a homesick rock at 10,000 feet.”

“Earthward bound.”

“Well, this is XYZ which you happen to be in love with.”

“Oh!”

I’d spend the morning running back and forth, showing them long-term charts….

I’d show long-term chart after long-term chart and they’d kinda get the idea, of course there was the inevitable, “Yeah, but…”

You see – they were sold on the idea that the real-time chart allowed them some close up look, and they’d zoom in to get a 5-minute chart and imagine history. They’d make up a direction based on what they wanted to see, and not the reality of what was really occurring within that particular issue, sector, or market.

“Most folks scrutinize charts too closely. There are so many books written on charting, and too many traders have read too many of them. They get into paralysis by analysis. If you really want to read a chart, print it out, tape it up to a wall, and stand on the other side of the room. Then ask yourself one question. What’s the current trend? Never trade against the current trend.”

What’s this got to do with Tarot?

Everything/Nothing

So you get to a blank spot. That card…what is it? What does it mean?

As long as you search for a meaning – it’ll escape you. And most likely what you come up with – is wrong.

Think of the card not as a Tarot card, but as a scoop of Baba Ganoush from Giza. That’s it!

“What’s this scoop of Baba Ganoush from Giza doing in my reading?”

Get some distance. Move away from your spread. Move away from your cards. Stand up. Walk away. Move 6-10 feet or more away and turn around.

Don’t look at the card.

Look at the colors.

Don’t look at the card, don’t look at the suits….

Look at the flow…is there movement? (Yes this works with TdM quite well…does too…)

Look at this like visual poetry….

Look at this like modern art….

Does it flow?

That’s your meaning, that’s your answer.

Is he facing the wrong way? Does it all flow like a stream and hit this guy who seems to be blocking the whole thing? That’s your meaning.

Does the spread seem to flow backwards, off to the left and you come to this ‘stuck’ card and the flow seems to now go off to the right? That’s your meaning.

The closer you get to the spread, the card, the details, (“if we use a magnifying glass, we see that Enzio put in a little brush stoke over here on the left side of the nose of the…wha…?”)

Give yourself some room. Move back. Stand on a chair if you have to, in order to get some distance.

Do the colors flow through your blank spot?

Getting distance changes our focus.

(Author’s Opinion to follow)

We get so hung up on card meanings, and this book and that book and meanings of the each singular card, we often lose sight of the whole…we want to know what this card means – and fail to hear what it is trying to tell us.

Creating physical distance changes our focus.

“Yeah but…I’ve got a sitter here”

Yup, and you two are hunched over a table…so get up…walk around! Clear your mind! Then look back at the table…what does it say? How does it flow? Baba Ganoush from Giza has no meaning…but it either helps or hinders flow…listen…

Those of us who understood charts and tickers, were out of the market before 1999. We were laughed at – but the tickers told us what the charts couldn’t.

The hardest material in the world is not a diamond – it’s the right hand edge of a chart. I’ve watched it make grown men cry as their hearts were cut out.

Likewise, I like my cards to get turned over one at a time…each one becomes like a chart – the cold hard right hand edge…and there’s a flow between the sitter and myself, and the cards, and the spread, and there is no one single important thing – not the card, not the spread, not me…it’s the flow of the whole….

Some days, reading is like Mozart, and some are like Mahler; some are like Bach, some are Beethoven – and that it is imperative (for the sitter) for me to feel the difference.

It’s like music….

Disclaimer: Contents of this post are 100% organic, without preservatives or additives. There are no special preparation requirements. Refrigeration is not required.
Nothing stated constitutes a solicitation to buy or sell any securities.
Past performance is not indicative of future performance or value.
Everything expressed is the sole opinion of the poster and does not constitute a mandate or a recommendation of any action or activities by the reader.
All persons are real; names have been changed to protect all parties concerned.
All jokes and gags are for your discomfort and distraction.
This post is packaged by weight and not by volume, some settling may occur.
This post is Fat Free, contains 0 calories, and 0 cholesterol.
This post contains 0% RDA of vitamins and minerals.
Reading this post may or may not be hazardous to your health.
Some allergic reactions may occur.

:smoker:

rainwolf

Wow umbrae...you always know what we are thinking.

That's good advice for when we get lost on that card that wants special attention and will defy our every interpretation.

Kudos! :thumbsup:

Hopefully this will turn into a series as most of your other work has.

firemaiden

Wow, he said it: not to rely on meanings. That's pretty radical, Umbrae, and I love it. I think that's sort of what students of poetry learned in Lit Crit: (modern poetry might as well be gobble-gook half the time anyway, so why bother with meaning, LOL) -- leave the interpretation of "meaning" out of it first, just look at the structure, the rhyme scan, the alliterations, the physical layout on the page, the relationship of dark and light sounds, long versus short sentences, count the number of feminine versus masculine nouns, that sort of thing. Structural phenomenae. This way, we start in a relatively neutral mode, leaving our judgement out. In Tarot, if you stand on a chair to look at the way at the way the light and colours move through the spread, and the directions people are facing, and stuff, that too is a kind of phenomenological approach. It's worth a try. Could be powerful.

Thanks Umbrae. :)

Sulis

This is just what I'm starting to do / learning to do.

The International Icon is helping loads (you said it would Umbrae - guess what? You were right :) )

I've always turned the cards over all at once. Last week I did a reading where I turned them over one at a time - it was cool.

I've recently read Robert Place's book 'The Tarot - History, Symbolism and Divination'. In it, he advocates this observance of the way the energy is flowing through a spread - it helps a lot....

Cool post from Umbrae :)

Love and hugs to you from

Sulis xxxx

Satori

Umbrae said:
When reading with the cards facedown, I find that I have more control over the relationship of the reading. Clients tend not to reach over to grab the Hanged Man (or what ever card…) and turn him over, or pick whatever it is up, “What’s this three Sword sticking in this heart mean?”

I'll be snipping liberally here....snip, snip, snip!

I sometimes have to see the whole thing, the relationship between the cards.
For some reason when I lay down my three, the third card is the key for me.
Like I'm reading the end of the sentence...and getting the biggest insight from it.

Oh, I do mostly three card spreads right now.
But even my own big reading spread that is sort of spreadless, starts with three, and grows and grows from there.

I continue to both love and hate spreads.
The three card spreads are very powerful and so right now I'm enjoying them. Of course many times I do two per postition...but...I admit, I like them all up.

And that’s what I did. It’d been on a hell of a run. And I’m watching the tickers. And watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and watching…and I took out my dry-marker…and watching…and watching…and took the cap off…and watching…and watching…pound a mouse button and pulled up the chart…and watching…and watching…and walk up to the board and make a mark on the board and yelled, “Sell! I’d be a seller right now!”

So what you illustrate here is that you are psychic and a trader.
See reading the signs is a knack and a gift.
Like tracking, reading a trail. There is skill in it, but knowing when to slow up, knowing that your prey is just around the corner...smelling it, hearing it, tasting it....no one can really teach you that. That is what is born of experience and intuition.

I noticed that I slip into a sort of 'state' before I read.
When I was a kid I would practice walking around with my eyes half fuzzed out. So that things were a bit out of focus. I don't know exactly why, I think it was a coping mechanism of sorts for getting thru some of the stuff I was dealing with in the family.

But it is also shamanic in some sense.
Altering my perceptive state and being in it as my normal, ordinary reality.
Typing this I notice I'm half fuzzed out...That I don't even notice it happening it sometimes...the disconnect of the upper mind and allowing in another poriton of the mind to take over.

I think this is a state you inhabit when you trade Umbrae.
Teaching it as a Tarot skill is gonna be tricky.
Who wants to let go and jump out of the driver's seat and let someone else drive you around? What if you crash? What if you are...dare I say it...wrong?

I think the blank spot could be looked at as an evolutionary process all readers go thru, must go thru, in order to get into a state of non-ordinary perception. It forces you to lose what you think you know, what you define as the right way to read, because suddenly everything you thought you knew doesn't even exist anymore.

Everything is suspended and the challenge is moving into the next level of awareness and allowing other information in. Information that doesn't make any sense to you personally.

Which is as it should be, because we aren't the ones it needs to be sensical for. The sitter has the job of creating order or sense out of the message.

Perhaps this is the best reading you could hope for.
Talking about things in the cards that are beyond your ability to understand.
Just lots of information that you deliver, in between the moments of conversation and rapport you build with the sitter.

The Blank Spot ultimately becomes the litmus test for readers.

Tells you about yourself, about what kind of reader you might become.
Because in the moment of utter terror of knowing that you don't know comes a sort of peace and trust. Or if the terror wins...well, that didn't happen for me, so I ain't gonna go there.

You just know you'll get thru it because you must, because there is a person in some kind of trouble sitting across from you that is waiting for you to deliver a lightning bolt that lets them know you actually can See them.
And that is just as terrifying as the damn Blank Spot....

The other thing that occurred to me was that in your story you relate to the live screen. You related to the screen with the information and the flow of data rather than the chart.

This again is so you, what you talk about around building rapport with the sitter. Don't be thinking about the definition..the chart. Look at the data stream, take the pulse of the person...be in the moment..not in the book or the definition or the place where you are thinking how good you look holding your new deck.

I don't know.
I read this post of yours with a different eye today.

I'm not sure this is what you were saying but this is what I got.

And the other thing was, I would love to see you up and walking around the room where I read at the bookstore. NO room to do that bro. Just sitting in a tiny little closet with a curtain....

ArwenNightstar

Thank you. This bears much thinking about.

le pendu

Wonderful post Umbrae.

Thank you.

robert

Aura Wolf

Thank you, Umbrae. This has been a big problem for me lately, trying to search for meaning when I am blank. It's very frustrating and disheartening so thank you for this.

Jewel-ry

Only just got round to reading this Umbrae and as usual its a classic...worthy of a bookmark.

I have always turned over all the cards and like elf, I look to the last card to give me direction but am willing to try this approach of turning and reading them one at a time. I am reminded of the principal of synergism in which 'the result of two or more components produces an effect greater that the sum of the individual parts'. Can this be applied to tarot? Reading the

Static
Little
Moments
Of
Cards

is probably not as powerful as the synergy of the whole reading after the energy has been allowed to flow.

I like the idea of gaining distance and come to think of it I have unknowingly done this for a long time. I have often thrown a spread and left it to 'ripen'. In so doing, my eye will sometimes get drawn to it as I move around the room and as you say it changes the focus and the perspective particularly with a deck like the IIT in which the colours have such a huge impact.

Umbrae

Jewel-ry said:
I am reminded of the principal of synergism in which 'the result of two or more components produces an effect greater that the sum of the individual parts'. Can this be applied to tarot? Reading the

Static
Little
Moments
Of
Cards

is probably not as powerful as the synergy of the whole reading after the energy has been allowed to flow.

I wrote a confusing paragraph. I'm trying to express that with all the cards face up, we read card - by - card - and often find the wholeness difficult to grasp, so reduce it to static moments....

By unfolding the reading (card by card) we retain a linear focus - and move towards the dynamic wholeness, and away from the static.

:smoker: