Green Man Tree Oracle by John Matthews

KevinBlack

Have coveted this deck since first seeing it at a Pagan Pride Day some years ago. The cards are beautiful--reason enough to add it to my collection. Each features the Green Man hidden within a tree. I "Googled" it recently, and found it featured at a Pagan/Wiccan bookstore at a good price, and am ready to buy. It is hard to come by, and I believe it has gone out of print.

Can anyone share their experience working with this particular oracle? I have heard good things about it, and am familiar with John (and Caitlin) Matthews' other works. My spiritual background is Celtic/Pagan--would this be a good fit?

As an oracle--beyond its beauty--how is it regarded?

Your replies appreciated!

Sophie

Hi KevinBlack, welcome to Aeclectic.

You might want to read these threads: they cover your question pretty well -

Green Man Tree Oracle thread 1

Green Man Tree Oracle thread 2

If you read the search function, you will find more.

I like that oracle very much. I use it alone, or with the DruidAnimal Oracle, or the DruidCraft Tarot (the artist is the same for these three).

Guiding Cauldron

Green Man !

I have this oracle deck and yes it is a wonderful deck, very direct, accurate and the artwork is phenom. Enjoy your new deck and treasure the wisdom :)

KevinBlack

Green Man thanks!

Thank you Helvetica and Sunshineluvr! The previous threads are very helpful. I'm surprised that the deck isn't featured in the Oracle reviews, I'll certainly suggest it.

Leo62

KevinBlack said:
It is hard to come by, and I believe it has gone out of print.
Hi Kevin - I was dismayed when I read this, as it's only been out a year or two...however when I checked Amazon, they have it for dispatch within 24 hours for under a tenner, so I'm not sure it is OOP yet. :)
I had the deck but traded it, and now regret it as the cards are so lovely...just couldn't get on with the book.
Also, if you don't want to get it from Amazon, you can always order it direct from the Matthews' website: www.hallowquest.org.uk (hope that doesn't count as advertising...).
Good luck! :)

catlin

It is a very beautiful deck. I bought it because I love the artwork and am a fan of the Matthews works. Besides it strung a chord in me (I am Celtic Wicca).

mollykins74

yes it does look a lovely deck, may put it on my wish list

KevinBlack

Green Man Tree Oracle-OOP

Dear Leo, Caitlin, and Mollykins--Thank you for your kind replies. I've ordered the boxed book and deck set (got it for under $10 new, online) and will post a response when it arrives. As for it being out-of-print, I do believe that to be the case. I had checked Amazon, and found only marketplace sellers offering it--not Amazon itself. As Leo62 noted, it was only published a few years ago (by Barnes & Noble). However, on the B&N site, it states new copies are not available through B&N--though used copies are available from "authorized resellers". It would be sad if such a beautiful deck has gone out of print so quickly. If that is the case, then I'm especially glad I ordered it now. My thanks to all for your generous feedback and recommendations!

catlin

Well, the German edition should be still available as it was only released in 2004 at Arunverlag.

Elven

WOW!! It is beautiful!! I have just picked up this Oracle today! It was on special in the book shop for $12.95 AUS. That is so cheap for Oz!!!

There were heaps of them too!! About 30 decks!! They must have bought a box full of them :bugeyed:

I am going to pick some up for presents for Christmas. The pictures are gorgeous!!

Blessings
Elven x