'Accurate' with tarot - what does this mean to you?

mythos

I read the word 'accurate' often, in relation to tarot readings. 'Accurate, a. Precise, exact, correct ... [L, f. cura care] Oxford - Pocket Dictionary.

I don't find, personally, that such words can be applied to tarot. I find tarot to be interpretative, fluid and mutable. If they can be applied, then I am doing something wrong - or the use of the word 'accurate' in respect to tarot is being used in an 'interpretative, fluid and mutable' way, or in some other way that I don't understand. What am I missing? Or am I missing anything?

So ... in relation to tarot ... what do you mean by 'accurate'?

mythos:)

Alta

I have absolutely never in my life used the term 'accurate' to refer to readings. I see it written here though quite often.

I think what folks mean is that the reading struck them or the querent deeply in some way.

"Precision" or "accuracy" are just not appropriate terms. "Truthful", "heartfelt", "leading to understanding", "clarifying", now those I can understand.

Annabelle

I'm so glad this topic came up! I am among the guilty - I use terms such as "accurate" and "spot on" and "quite correct" all the time when I'm giving people feedback in the reading exchange.

I'm never comfortable with those terms, but I'm not sure how else to phrase things, sometimes. Truthfully, the best readings I've received are often the ones that it is very difficult to leave feedback for, because they are the readings that make me THINK and FEEL rather than just nod along thinking "hhmmm, yes, yes, that's exactly right, I knew that already..."

I really need to work on finding other ways to respond to readings, ways that don't inlcude writing "yes, that's so accurate" ten times in a row. But it is often difficult to know what to say.

jumptothemoonyea

I see Tarot as far more accurate than our ability to understand all it is showing us.

MeeWah

Agree with JTTMY.

Where Tarot concerned, I see 'accuracy' as the capacity to hit home or target specific information not available through the ordinary or mundane means. This means information or material of the confidential or private nature; that to which no one or few privy including the querent.

It represents 'reading' the heart & mind of the individual being read for in a suspended moment that resonates or contains meaning.

The general definition of accuracy may not immediately apply where time involved &/or [all] events not yet in place; also due to existing variables & possibilities including choice/free will which may affect the final outcome. Such events may, however, be seen at some point or subsequent time.

A reading is akin to a photograph of prevailing influences of any given moment. In effect, it isolates those influences or threads for the viewing & at its most viable, provides clarity & definition. The actual circumstances of those influences need not remain stagnant but change or evolve based on the daily choices & thought pattern; explains why other than in certain circumstances, no one thing written in stone.

catlin

Great this topic came up because ppl sometimes ask about accuracy.

I see tarot as a means of reveiling matters which are hidden in the subconscious of the querent but unfortunately a lot of ppl who want a tarot reading see it as a prediction tool and so they ask about accuracy.

I often get feed-back calls or visits from querents who tell me that "xyz" has happened in the way it was shown in the cards.

Citrin

Say I do a PPF-spread. If the first two cards relate to what is going on in my life, and what has recently happened, I call that accurate. If a few weeks later I notice that the last card made a lot of sense, I'd say it's accurate. Or correct. Or precise.

Etc.

Why not?
What I saw in my cards related accurately to my life, so I don't see any problem with saying that.

Dwaas

Marion said:
"Precision" or "accuracy" are just not appropriate terms. "Truthful", "heartfelt", "leading to understanding", "clarifying", now those I can understand.

I'm sure I have used the term accurate as well, and then I meant: truthful, heartfelt etc. Thanks Marion. :) Now comes something off topic but somehow related for me. I always thought that I paid good attention when having English lessons at school. But at a forum like this with loads of English native speaking I often choose not to react to a topic. Not because I don't understand what it is about (well sometimes I don't :D), but because I seem not to find the right words for my thoughts, my feelings and I miss the accuracy (there is the word again) to express exactly what I want to say. I know a word like "clarifying" but I would never come up with it by myself. There seems to be a difference in my passive and active knowledge of the English language, and that is also why I might choose easy simple words for matters which need much more ehm... well you know what I mean :) So that is why I say things like: accurate.
Well maybe it is just me and I should pick up some lessons again. :)
Blessings

Sunburst

I have used the term "accurate" as well when referring to a reading. To me, it means that it made sense to me, and I gained some understanding or insight into my situation/question. I don't expect someone who is doing a tarot spread to provide me with a psychic reading. If the person receiving the reading can can apply the reader's interpretation of the cards to whatever is going on in the querent's life, then the reading is successful, I think.

There is a recent thread where "accuracy" is discussed. There are some interesting points in it. https://www.tarotforum.net/threads/50796/

Sunburst

Nocturnal Lure

I think most people use the term acurate as a dynamic or relative word and actually mean "a high level of acuracy".

This term comes up when a reading gives you the answers you, or the one you're reading for were expecting. When this happens however, it is a sure sign to pay close attention to the cards that seem "less acurate".