Why are we biased against certain sun signs or elements?

Grigori

Of late I've been reflecting on the types of sun signs that I (shall we say) don't feel a particular affinity for. And I realised, I think that the whole astrology community hates Air signs! :eek: :D

I'm basing this theory on the fact that the Sun is at "detriment" in Aquarius, fall in "Libra", and according to my notes the only sign to have a planet "inharmony" is Gemini, and you guessed it, the Sun! So the poor air sign people, have one of the major players unhappy and that doesn't change no matter when you are born. Kinda doesn't seem fair...

I've noticed I personally prefer fire signs traits, and most of the water ones (excluding Cancer though, for reasons I will not go into, as last time I did a room full of Cancerians took offense :laugh: ). At first I thought this was mostly cause of my own firey nature, but I notice in Tarot much the same preference is given to the Fire suit, and the meanings are generally more positive then the other suits. The poor air suit is almost despised.

Why do we prefer certain elements? How much does that affect our interpretation of a chart? Do you think God also has a problem with Air signs and kept that in mind when designing the solar system? (a big question I admit :D )

rainwolf

You won't believe this, but last night I was going to post a poll of the same question!!

I think I'm going to do that right now...

MCsea

I think people reflect our own 'personality' (not EVERY ONE) but if we say hmm for example Cancer people reflect something of 'us' then we should go look at that in our chart or in our life, and do something about, like looking in the mirror. My family have a very negative experience with a certain sign SUN sign - but MOST of us have that sign as a MOON sign.. yea dark - light..
just a thought..

MARINA

rainwolf

I used to think differently of virgos (which rules my fourth house which relates to cancer and the moon) in a not-so-happy way. I confronted this however, and my view is almost opposite now. I still make the virgo jokes (who can't? LOL) but I have a lot more respect for them now.

dadsnook2000

A few good reasons . . .

similia. A good way to start examining this question is to reduce it to its utmost simiplicity for starters. A sun in a given sign will have positive, negative, neutral or "no" aspects to someone else's sun in another sign. As a general rule, the aspect tends to shape the way we exercise the energy of the planets involved. Thats basic.

So, if we have a Sun in Libra, chances are (if there is an aspect) that that sun will square the Sun of others if their sun-sign is Capricorn or Cancer. Since Capricorn is an opening square to Libra, the energy will often reflect in the methodology we choose in conducting our social interactions (Libra). If the square (for a Libra sun) is to a Sun in Cancer, then problems may arise in how we view the status, goals and accomplishments of the other person relative to how the infringe on us.

Now, we have trines to consider if the other's Suns are in either Aquarius or Gemini. Normally trines are considered positive. When we have a trine in our own chart we tend to use the planet's energies that are connected by this trine in a habitual, pre-determined way, falling into old ways of responding or pursuing something. That cannot be quite the same when we are "trining" someone else's Sun. What we might tend to do, depending upon how our own Sun is conditioned by our own natal chart, is to assume an initial ease in relating to the others. We have expectations of how a Sun should work, so we look for that, expect that in these others. What happens when we don't get the response we expect? We'll react using any negative aspects to the Sun in our own chart, perhaps.

We have left Sextiles, Inconjuncts and the insipid 30 degree aspect. These may not manifest well for many of us as there may not be aspects such as these in our own charts. Perhaps the sextile aspect shows up as a chatty or "buddy" type energy making these signs easy to get along with.

So, its now oppositions and semi-squares and squares-and-a-half aspects, which do tend to show up as very noticable. The opposition Sun sign works or doesn't work depending upon our own charts and whether we tend to be open and partnering or closed and confrontational. The other aspects at 45 and 135 degrees are the real kickers as they will often be in whole signs that we consider nice -- the sextile signs or the trine signs -- yet because of the actual aspect these Sun signs challenge us and irritate us and urge us to get something done whether it hurts or not. Ultimately, these people may earn our respect or give their respect -- initially they are irritants, later they may become great friends.

So, I would first consider carefully Sun relationships to other Suns, not by their general "sign" influence (that is very general and can be misleading) but by the aspectual relationships. Its a lot more work but you can't leave first base in the astrological ball game until you think and operate this way. Dave