PDA

View Full Version : Can you change the time backwards for new posts searches?

Grigori
25-11-2005, 23:32
My internet has a funny little glitch that sometime make it stall when I first come onto a site. The unfortunate side effect is that I have to re-start my browser and come to AT again.

Sometimes that means AT recognises me as having last visited 2 minutes ago, and so when I click for "new posts" I get nothing :(

Is there a way to trick the time on AT or my browser or something so I can see the new posts since I was actually last online?

Alta
26-11-2005, 00:09
Boy, I would love an answer to that as well. Also :(

OakDragon
26-11-2005, 02:30
You could do an Advanced Search for posts from the past day.

Grigori
26-11-2005, 14:48
You could do an Advanced Search for posts from the past day.

Bless you Oakie! I never actually noticed that possibility, even though it was right in front of me :|

Bless you, bless you, bless you.

OakDragon
26-11-2005, 14:54
Awww, I feel so blessed! :D

GeorgiePorgie
26-11-2005, 17:38
But....don't you have to use a "keyword" when you use the Advanced Search function? So will an Advanced Search bring up everything within a specified timeframe without someone keying in a word to search for??

And believe me, I tried (the Advanced Search, that is) and it didn't work. This could be entirely the operators fault of course!

Grigori
26-11-2005, 18:08
Aw no :( I tried it and it didn't work either. :(

Oakie you can keep your blessings as my gift to you, but I hope you use them to come up with another answer for me :D LOL

OakDragon
27-11-2005, 01:41
Oh, whoops! Sorry about that. No, I didn't try it. *Puts thinking cap back on*

Solandia
28-11-2005, 15:30
I haven't tested this myself, but you could try resetting the time on your computer back an hour or so, and then viewing the new posts again.

~ Solandia

GeorgiePorgie
28-11-2005, 16:40
Similia,

I think it would have something to do with Cookies (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/session_cookie.html) but that is the most of my technical information. If you were to ask me about Cookies, I'd say Chocolate Chip Please!!

I wonder if the forum has the option to be configured to show New Posts in certain ways. Like Active Posts from {definable term like} today/2 days/3 days/the last week.

I know I am not really helping but ...

GeorgiePorgie
29-11-2005, 10:24
Similia !

Go into your USER CP,
then on the right hand side select EDIT OPTIONS
go down to the bottom (displays dialog boxes with text headings) look for the box entitled "Thread Display Options" - In this box is a subheading entitled "Default Thread Age Cut Off" it says You may specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown.
Default Thread Age Cut Off:

Select the little drop down box and instead of using the forum default option, select (for example - "Show threads from the last two days"

Scroll down and remember to click on the SAVE CHANGES button...

Now test it by clicking New Posts in the tool bar at the top of the screen. Does that work?? I hope it does. If not, that is the last of me helping - other than that option, I haven't a clue what will work.

GeorgiePorgie
29-11-2005, 10:50
I don't think it will work, I think the forum default over-rides it.

That's it, I give up.

Grigori
29-11-2005, 16:15
THanks Solandia, I'll try that the next time and see how it goes :)

Thanks also GeorgiePorgie for you efforts! I have not really looked through that section of the USER CP and will have a go at using it to help me out.