A Survey of Oracle Deck Users

FaeryGodmother

Hi all,

I was wondering about Oracle decks and what draws us too them. I have lots of questions and I would really appreciate everyones opinions...

How big?
How many cards makes a comfortable and worthwhile oracle deck for you?
Can there be too many or too few cards?

Card Meanings
What sort of card meanings draw you?
Do you prefer all positive like Doreen Virtue's decks or a mix of positive/ negative card meanings?
Do you find that the "theme" of the deck sometimes limits the possible card meanings?
Do you find that some oracle deck can only be used for certain types of readings?
Do you find oracle decks to be more or less flexible in meaning than a tarot deck?

Artwork
Are you more drawn to a deck because of its artwork or its "theme"?
Are you more attracted to decks with realistic or more abstract pictures?
Does the artwork affect how you feel you can read with a deck?
Would you buy or not buy a deck based soley on it artwork?

Random
Is there an oracle you wish existed?
Do you think there are too many or too few decks out there on the market already?
Is there anything that makes some decks easier to meditate with than others?

And Finally...
Please describe your ideal oracle.

Thanks.
FGM

Sophie

How big?

Anyhing from 25 cards up.

I don't have an oracle deck with too many cards, but I can imagine that it might be possible for there to be too many cards (or equivalent). But I work with the sabian symbols quite comfortably, and there are 360 of those!

Card Meanings

Huge variety. My favourites are the all-purpose oracles, that you can use equally for work, love, spirituality, self-help etc. Froud's Faeries are like that & the Universe Cards. But I do also go for more specific oracle decks, like the Black Angel Cards, which I use for soul work & discovering my wounds & strengths as a woman; the Goddess Oracle, which I've only just received, so I am still playing around with how I can use it. I love oracles that encourage intuitive readings & don't impose meanings.

Do you prefer all positive like Doreen Virtue's decks or a mix of positive/ negative card meanings?
I can't say enough how much I dislike Doreen Virtue decks & similar kind. To me they are utter shlock. They are not positive, they are saccharine & false. Although I realise they help some people, I question the value of such help. It seems to me like the card equivalent of happy drugs.

I like decks that are true & strong. That don't hide or smother the negative or call it something to be "healed" & don't make the positive into something cute, and above all - allow me to work with all the shades between the positive & negative poles. I don't see negatve as a problem - I see it as one might the negative pole in electicity: that is, you only get electricity if you have positive & negative poles. The "negative" therefore is not only not to be feared - it is absolutely necessary to life - and much of our life work is knowing how to integrate that shadow so that our human electrical current can work!

Do you find that the "theme" of the deck sometimes limits the possible card meanings?
Not if you are working specifically within the compass of the theme. Also - if the art encourages the intuitive approach, it really doesn't matter. Furthermore, the book might not be the be-all and end-all of the theme. Take the Druid Animal cards, a fine deck. I use the book, but I also go elsewhere to find out about wolves, deer, foxes, etc. as well as using my own knowledge (for those animals I know).

Do you find that some oracle deck can only be used for certain types of readings?
Yes, but that doesn't bother me. Some decks I find aren't that great for large readings, others I like to combine with tarot; some are very woman-centred, but that's OK, because I turn to them when I want to look at issues that have some connection with my womanhood.

Do you find oracle decks to be more or less flexible in meaning than a tarot deck?
Different. Some are less, because they are so themed, but others are wide. I don't use them like tarot. Tarot can be very flexible too, if you are not glued to the meanings in the books.

Artwork

I couldn't work with a deck that had art I didn't like. But I don't choose a deck solely for artwork. For me artwork is part of the whole package & can't be separated from other considerations. For example, in the Angel Blessings Cards, Kimberley Marooney chose some beautiful angel imagery from Western art from the Middle Ages to the early 20th C. Some of the imagery is dark (in tone or in atmosphere), some is lighter - and to me the very quality & subtlety of the art, as well as its variety within a single theme (angels of the judeo-christian-muslim pantheon) gives it additional force as an oracle. In other words - it's not just a pretty deck. Added to that, the book is well-reasearched as well as compassionate & loving - and true. There is a genuine attempt to see the human-angel interraction in the round. So both theme & art are important in that deck, one building on the other.

Both. I have eclectic tastes in art. I don't like sugary or twee "art", or anyting that looks like it was done for idiots.

Yes.

No, I would buy prints or large post-cards.

Random

All oracles exist - if you look for them. They are all around us, in nature, in the signs & symbols of our cities, in the art we see, in books we read.

Do you think there are too many or too few decks out there on the market already?
There are too many Doreen Virtue & similar decks out there. There are not enough Angel Blessings, Universe Cards & Black Angel Cards. There are not enough oracles that have made a genuine attempt at being oracles as opposed to self-help - something like the African Divination deck & book. Most so-called oracle decks are self-help or self-exploration decks, which is fine, but not oracles. They are not that good for divination.

Is there anything that makes some decks easier to meditate with than others? Good art, a hook,...hard to define, really!

Please describe your ideal oracle. I hinted at it above...my ideal oracle is all around me ;)

CandyApple

How big?

I prefer a deck that has more that 22 cards. I like a deck to feel like a deck in my hand.

Yes I think there can be too few and two many. I like more that 22 and less than 100. The deck has to fit my hand alright and be easy to shuffle. LOL..I know not esoteric meanings for my numbers just comfort.

Card Meanings

realistic. I don't like overly sweet decks and I don't like overly dark decks. Balance is really important.

I can't stand Doreen Virtue's decks. Some like her decks and I am glad they work for them. Again just as I said above. I must have balance. My life is not happy and fuzzy...so I don't want my deck to be.

I find some decks are more geared for certain things. I have a few decks that I used just for meditation. But I think that is a limit I myself put on them.

Not really. But I think that has to do with the reader. The more you work with any deck the more you will beable to get what you want out of the deck.

Artwork

Arework is a big thing for me. If I can connect to the artwork chances are I won't connect to the deck. But then there have been times I have loved the artwork, but can't do anything with the deck.

I guess I will have to say realistic. Abstract and overly bright colors I find really really distracting.

Very much so.

I have bought decks based solely on artwork. Sometimes I can work with it. Sometimes I can't.

Random

Not really.

I think there is a flood of cookie cutter decks out there. Not everyone needs to have their own deck.

It is hard to narrow things down like that. Some decks are just easier to connect with. I actually have no idea why.

And Finally...
Please describe your ideal oracle

One that I enjoy useing.

FaeryGodmother

Thanks heaps for your replies. I really appreciate it. I have some ideas for an oracle deck that I would like to make and all the answers to this thread will heap me in solidifiying those ideas.

Annabelle

How big?
I really prefer decks that have more than 30 cards - more than 40 cards is even better. Decks with fewer than 30 cards just seem very limited to me.

I can't imagine a deck with too many cards, but yes, I think there can be too few. As I mentioned above, anything under 30 cards is difficult for me to work with.

Card Meanings
Oh, a wide variety. Meanings that apply to any area of life, and reflect both the positive and negative aspects of life. Meanings that allow the deck to be used for divinatory purposes, and not just introspection.

In my opinion, Doreen Virtue's decks are absolute crap. Those aren't oracle decks if you ask me . . . they aren't designed for oracular use . . . they are just "feel good" cards. For an oracle deck to be useful and appealing to me, it must incorporate both negative and positive possibilities into its cards.

This is definitely possible, yes . . . although among the oracle decks that I use most frequently, this isn't a problem. But then, I prefer decks that aren't tied too strongly to a heavy-handed theme. For example, I really adore the Oracle of the Radiant Sun . . . there's an astrological "theme" to the cards, but you really don't need a knowledge of astrology to use the cards. It is a deck that can be used for a broad variety of readings.

Well...I do have some decks that are better suited to just using for myself, when I want more insight on a problem, rather than using for readings for other folks.

I find that good oracle decks are about the same as tarot decks in terms of flexibility. I find tarot to be very flexible, and most oracle decks as well.

Artwork
Both are important, I think. I tend to be drawn to a deck because of it's artwork, primarily...but if I don't like the theme, then I will steer clear of it. For example, I tend not to like Egyptian-themed decks, and blatantly self-help themed decks.

I'm more attracted to decks with realistic images, definitely.

Yes....if the artwork doesn't evoke feelings and potential meanings when I look at the cards, then it will be very difficult for me to use the deck.

Yes. If I don't like the art, I won't buy the deck.

Random
Hmm...can't think of anything in particular at the moment.

Far too many of the sugary-sweet self-help variety of decks are on the market, but then I don't consider those to really be oracle decks...even if they do claim to be oracle decks. Again, I'm thinking of the Doreen Virtue decks. Aside from these types of decks, though, then I don't think there are too many oracle decks on the market.

Hmm...easier to meditate with? I'm not sure I can answer this question, since I don't use any of my oracle decks for meditation purposes.

And Finally...
Honestly . . . I'm a bit of a tarot snob. My ideal oracle deck, quite simply, is a tarot deck :).

catlin

Ok, I prefer Oracle decks with 30 - 55 cards. Cards have to lookc realistic or the artwork has to be interesting to satisfy my needs. I don't like the cutsey-fluffy style deck, because life is not all sun & roses, I prefer a well balanced deck. As for theme decks or card meanings I am pretty open to a large variety.

The most important point in using an oracle deck is that it is readable but I have to admit that there are some oracle decks in my collection I only choose because they did intrigue me either because of historical or artistic interest.

I doubt that there existes an ideal oracle deck because I am too much a perfectionist.

Elven

How big?

To me, I haven't found yet, that this makes a difference. I work with decks between 15 and 360 cards. Often more, if Im doing a reading with more than one deck.

No.

Card Meanings

I dont see all of Doreen Virtues cards (in the decks that I have) as positive at all, although the pictures may appear that way. Within them are some very serious messages, cautions and neagatives. My preference is with Oracles that relay sitauations without a preconceived emotional attatchment. I think I tune in/pick up on the emotional response necessary to transcribe with the oracle at the time of interpretation.

Not if it is in reference to the question. Its sometimes the reason I choose particular oracles to read with. Sometimes it can expand the reading further.

Im not exactly sure here if you mean to the method of reading - as in: The way the Oracle is cast, or you're refering to the type of question?

No, I think they can be used to cover all subject matter, but it depends on the way I approach the question and how i see best to answer or respond.

It depends on which Oracle and which Tarot. I can be very flexable or rigid with both :)

It can change. My favourite Oracle has no pictures at all to look at - just words. The pictures appear in the minds eye, and I may be working with the same card but see it in many different guises, and it has many different dimmensions about it.

Sometimes I may feel like Im being challenged or helped by the artwork, but really thats all about me. Im looking for what the artist was trying to relay. Otherwise, if I cant find it through the artist or graphics - I try to feel my way to the essence intuitively.

Yes - and if the artwork was that good - I'd throw away the LWB! :p

Random

Yes - my own LOL!!! :p But I havent done that one yet!!

I have found my Oracle of choice and have used it for many years - but Im always interested in others ideas and creations :)

And Finally...

I like to scatter or cast Oracles. I like beautiful intricate shapes on a mat or cloth - like autumn leaves scattered on green grass :)

Now my brain hurts!!! :p

Blessings
Elven x

Alta

I guess I should start by saying

that I am not a great oracle person. I tend to struggle with them. But, like many people who know little, I do have opinions: :D :D

How many cards makes a comfortable and worthwhile oracle deck for you? There has to be at least 36 I would say (to keep the Petit Lenormand in there). Tarot has 78 cards and even they often have to be read in combination to give a full range of meanings. Can there be too many for me? I suppose so, for one thing they could get hard to handle, and for another you would never get really familiar with the cards if the set was say over 100 cards.

I consider The Universe cards to be a very good deck. It covers the big issues of life, sort of a birth/death deck. But of course readers also need the everyday emotions for some querents (not that you can't pull that out of The Universe cards).

What I really prefer is what I would call a deck that does open-ended readings. i.e. doesn't imply 'that's the way it is, nothing you can do about it'. options, escape routes, thoughtful guidance. That is what, at the best, I would prefer to give querents and I prefer cards that lead along that way.

Do you prefer all positive like Doreen Virtue's decks or a mix of positive/ negative card meanings? In polling terms, this is a loaded question. You have added a built-in assumption that Virtue decks are completely positive and thus biaising the responses. The Virtue decks are not all positive. But apparently the oracle world is either pro- or anti- Virtue decks and never the twain shall meet and so on.

Do you find that the "theme" of the deck sometimes limits the possible card meanings? Do you find that some oracle deck can only be used for certain types of readings?
Sure, but that is where the reader comes in, with a deck selection. I do the same thing with tarot decks. I once read for a young woman who lived completely in her fantasy kingdom. I used the Wizard of Oz tarot deck and the reading was so perfect I could hardly believe it myself.

Well my answer is, less flexible, but I noted my biais above. To me tarot can explore every nuance of past and present and sometimes future. But, I do find oracles, and the Froud faeries are excellent, shine in exploring emotions and attitudes.

Theme I think. Most of the decks seem to have fairly good artwork.

Realistic. Well, sort of realistic, many have fantasy images. But, realistic as opposed to absract. Which is odd because I am a big fan of abstract art.

No and no.

There are quite a few that I could wish did not.
An oracle based on weather would be cool. Weather is amazing and it does almost seem to express emotion and possibility.

I would not be that grinch-y. No reason to not have variety. I love variety in tarot and besides maybe that elusive 'perfect deck' for me wrt oracles exists. I don't believe in that concept for tarot, but :)

Use of colour.

ShekinahMoon

FaeryGodmother said:
How big?

No fewer than a Major Arcana but not as big as a Tarot deck.

Card Meanings

Cards that say something but also seem a bit elusive.

I like a mixed bag of cards. I don't want all positive cards because I use oracle cards to help me discern the outlook for my day. And every day is not all positive. Some days have the good and the bad and I need my oracle deck to be able to alert me to both.

I don't think so.

I would think so. If you are using a healing deck then the readings would be about healing.

So far I feel that oracle decks are way better for divination but tarot decks are much better for personal development.

Artwork

Artwork

Realistic
Very much so. I can't read with a deck I do not connect with.

Yes.

Random
An oracle deck whose them and artwork was crystal balls would be nice.

Way too few.

The images on the deck.

And Finally...

One that gave meanings on the cards but not a lot of meaning. Meaning that is open to interpretation. Artwork that inspires and captivates me. Cards that give me the feeling of a mystic fortune teller sitting over a crystal ball. (I love that mystery and image). Cards I can get great readings from.

That was some indepth questioning. You must be thinking of desiging an oracle deck :)

Rhiamon

How big?
~I like the cards to be fairly big so the artwork jumps out at me, plus I have big hands *grin*

as long as I can shuffle them, nah.

Card Meanings
I don't find Virtue's decks to be all positive...when I read with them, they DO bring up problems and issues that need worked on...I like the meanings to be practical, good and bad, like life. I love her decks, well, the 2 I have.

haven't come across this problem yet

I haven't come across this, but my decks are mostly fairie related and cover all issues

right now I have bonded with my oracles more than tarot, but I believe (and this is just MY opinion) that tarot can go much more in depth than most oracles that I've worked with.

Artwork
most definately...I have to have beautiful artowrk to connect with it

yes

yep

Random
yes, one that read itself and was always right on target..lol...just kidding

no way, there could never be too many decks out there!

yes, for meditation I need big bold beautiful artowrk that just speaks to me

And Finally...

probably one I designed myself, if I could paint..just because it would be personal and sentimental to just me.