Job

ArwenNightstar

I have the very real possibility of getting a job as a reader for a local store. This is something I have wanted for a very long time.

But.

And you knew there had to be one, right?

There is already a reader in this location. The owners want someone who will offer more hours because this gentleman only reads one day a week.

Also, they have had some complaints because he uses the book when he reads.

Oy.

Personally, I have an issue with someone using a book when reading for clients. If you are learning a deck, then sure... use the book but use your friends! Don't charge for it!

So if I go in there... am I going to be threatening his reading job there?

I have supreme confidence in my ability to read. I read for the three owners for over an hour and half and there was a mutual admiration society that formed.

I know I have this job. But what about the other reader? Do I worry about him? My ethics preclude me from doing something that would undercut or undermine him in any way.

My reading style may do that naturally, though. Am I just overprocessing?

Elven

Congratulations ArwenNightstar - thats wonderful news!!!! Im sure you'll love it and do really well!!! :D Fantastic!!

About the other reader - is he reading Tarot or Oracles or does the type of readings he does actually require the book? I know Im pretty hard pressed when it comes to remembering all of the 360 Symbols for the Sabians - a non picture words only Oracle - but I am prompted by the headings on the cards and dont need the book to read the interpretation - but thats taken many years to do and Ive had to design my own set of cards to be able to do this.

Does the gentleman get clients and are they happy? I know Ive seen in other threads where a reader has brought out a book - and some of the comments seem pretty condemning about this. OK, so its not how I read, but there maybe another reason for it - I dont see that a look in a book is that outrageous if the reader is genuinely there to help the client. If I was that man, and thought other reader where sniggering behind my back about the way I read - depending on the man too I guess - I might be fairly upset - a bit shattered. Who knows - he may not have anyone to read for to help him nor the resources (internet/groups/likeminded people) to be able to discuss how to do it differently.

Also, if this is a problem for the store owners it is their responsibility to rectify and discuss things with the gentleman. If you are being placed in a the position where they will turf him out once you have the job - I think this is unethical - but I also know it happens. But it certainly wont make you feel any better. Im not sure I'd like to be sacked from a Tarot job unless there was a better position or it was my choice to leave for better things to come.

Maybe you should discuss your concerns with the owners? Is this an option for you? or - Can you see how this gentleman reads - there maybe some legitimate reason he is using this method?

Maybe having another person read in the same store would help him? Maybe he would reassess the way he reads or try reading without books. He amy just need to see someone else read to pick up some hints.

I think its nice to see a guy in the readers seat too.

Just a thought from me about this too - we get the clients that we are supposed to get - this is what I believe. If one person comes to you - I dont see the harm if they also see the other reader to see what they say as well. Tarot reading is something that I dont like to 'compete' at, and there are other Tarot readers in my area as well - I like to work co operatively - not exclusively - but thats just me. I comes back in some really good ways :)

Have you pulled any cards around the situation to see whats going on? It would be interesting!

Just some thoughts from me - :).

Many Blessings and tons of good luck on your new venture :)
Elven x

Shade

Hmmmmm... if people are complaining to the owners about him using a book for his readings then there is a problem. As much as you probably don't want to ruffle his feathers I think the clients will be happier if they get a reader who knows what s/he is doing.

As Elven says it coud be the particular deck he is working with but if he is reading with a 78 card tarot deck... my professional opinion is that he should not have to refer back to the book to do it.

If you are the better fit for the position then it should be yours... that's how the job market works isn't it?

Sulis

Well done you :)

As for the other reader, I wouldn't worry about him. It's not your problem. You've been asked to read by the shop owners, end of story.

If he's been using a book to read for clients and folks have been complaining then maybe he isn't experienced enough to be a pro. I know that if I paid someone for a tarot reading and they used a book to get the meanings of the cards, I'd be incredibly pissed off.

You can read without a book, he can't: That's his problem, not yours.

Maybe your appointment will spur him on to go and learn how to read tarot without a book.

Congratulations - don't take anything away from yourself. Just feel happy that the owners of the shop are impressed with your readings so much that they've offered you a job.

Love Sulis xx

Leo62

Well done Arwen and good luck with the job! :)
As for the other guy - er, what??? he reads with a book?????
I agree with the others who say that this guy is not your problem, but if you're worried you could always think about promoting yourself as a different kind of reader from him (apart from not need a book, that is ;)). For example, do you offer any other skills with your tarot readings? Some readers are also psychics, or they know astrology, ior Reiki, or they use oracle decks too. That way, you can promote yourself as offering a different kind of service so it doesn't look like you're muscling in on his business.
All the best :)

ArcanoMáximo

I think that you will be there to work, you have not bad intentions against him.
So, not your problem!
And just guessing,
if it was in a reverserd way, would he think in your situation?...
btw, how can he be working with a book?
That's not serious at all, at least for me !!!!

Apollonia

The shop I read at has probably about 5 or six readers total, staggered throughout the week. I feel the more the merrier, because it's to my advantage to have people think of our shop where they can get readings whenever they’re in the area, and I also want the shop to stay in business, so the more clients we readers attract the better. BUT--the shop owner vets all her readers very thoroughly, and I know of several she has passed over as not being good enough, professional enough, etc. That is a very good thing, as I don’t ever want a client coming out of there saying, “I just got the worst reading from this place," because the people she will be telling this to won't remember that it was Joe Blow the Pendulum Guy or whatever, who maybe doesn’t even work there anymore--they'll just recall (FOREVER!) that someone got a terrible reading at our shop. I never worry about taking clients from or giving clients to the other readers; they, like me, are on their own path in this and will attract the clients who need to hear what they have to offer at the time. But I do not want someone working there who isn’t very good, or doesn’t seem professional, because it reflects on all of us. (And I don’t care what anyone else says, using a book when you’re getting paid for it is not professional, any more than it would be if you went to a dentist and he kept checking the book to see what he was supposed to do next. Would that give you a good feeling?) So if your readings prompt him to lose the book or go elsewhere, that’s a good thing for everybody, including him.

ArwenNightstar

Thanks everyone!

I agree that the more readers the better but this is a VERY small shop. Set up would be a difficulty. I have never seen this gentleman read but they have a reading fair this weekend so I am going to go down there to see.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I believe he is using a 78 card deck.

magpie9

Go for it, Arwen!
The shop I work at has 4 readers and we each have our days. It works well--there's always a reader available, and we are different enough that it's not direct competition. Two readers are never there at the same time. We have clients who come to all of us, and some that don't. It works fine, and there's no reason it shouldn't work fine for you, too.

The other reader is not your responsibility, and it may be that you coming in will not affect his trade one way or the other. Book or no book, deck or no deck, you each have different viewpoints and talents to offer the clients. Obviously he will not make every client happy---but then, neither will you! (No offense meant) :D

ArwenNightstar

magpie9 said:
Obviously he will not make every client happy---but then, neither will you! (No offense meant) :D

I hope not! If I were making every client happy, then I wouldn't be doing my job as a reader. ;-D