'I'm Going To Tell You A Secret'

Little Baron

Well, actually I am not .. but that was what Madonna was insinuating in a TV programme a couple of days ago. I didn't see all of it but a friend was watching a recording of it a few days ago when I turned up at his house.

During one of the songs, the backdrop showed the RWS - single cards were shown and within them, elements and characters moved, as the camera span though Coleman Smith's landscapes. Unfortunately, I didn't see all that was going on, since one of 'M's' dancers was gigging about infront of the screen for the majority of the time - but it was very inspiring and looked very well done. I have always loved the illustrations of the RWS and it really brought them to life in a different way than I had imagined.

In another part of the film, one of her children was hammering a plastic sword into a table - and through a deck of cards that lay on it. They were not face upwards so I couldn't tell if they were tarot or not, even though they looked too big to be a conventional playing card deck. If they were, we can assume that the 'Queen of Pop' does not believe in keeping her deck in a wooden box and allows whoever to touch (or stab) them.

Interesting to see the cards in this show. I didn't see anymore of this film because even though I like and admire her, I didn't find what I did see that interesting. Did anyone else see this? Were there any other references to the cards within it?

LB

Mimers

I wish I had. I am a huge Madonna fan. I happen to be listening to her right now. Let us know what you find out. It would be interesting to know what the secret is.

BTW, I love her new alblum. Have you heard it yet? I downloaded it with the video from itunes and it is slammin!

Mimi

Cerulean

Was the dancer jiggling or giggling? I like the giggle....

"...since one of 'M's' dancers was giggling about infront of the screen... "

Madonna's videos historically have jiggle, but I don't mind that she's settled down to a giggle...

Cerulean

Little Baron

Yes, I have the album on my pod. Took a few listens to understand it. There are a few songs I like - no ideas of their names, but the second one comes to mind. There seems to be a big Madonna 'thing' going on here at the moment - she seems to be on the television a lot or there is a lot of stuff about her in the London newspapers (I think she has done a few small concerts in clubs).

As for the secret, I don't know what that was - the film didn't have the same energy as the one she made all of those years ago - maybe the secret is that she has calmed down a bit since then. It was nice to see her children, however - they come across as very 'uncluttered' by her fame and fortune and are very intelligent, which is refreshing to see and a great example of their parents. From what I saw, the parts were the kids were the highlight - they were funny and genuinely entertaining.

I don't doubt it will come out on DVD at some point before Christmas, so maybe you will get a chance to see it. I think my parents recorded a copy here so I will take a look and see if there is any more 'tarot' references' in it.

Enjoy your album, Mimi
Best, LB

Little Baron

Cerulean said:
"
Madonna's videos historically have jiggle, but I don't mind that she's settled down to a giggle...

Cerulean

Well, I have to admit that the jiggling/giggling dancer was very handsome, so it wasn't such a hardship!

LB

Nocturnal Lure

Since the major acrana cards represent the paths between the sephiroth of Kabbalah (if I am not mistaken) the "secret" that is presented here is probably her religious commitment, which is not tha big a secret anyways.

Little Baron

Hi NL,

I got the recording off of my parents and left it on last night, while pottering about. There was a lot of religious (if we call Kabbalah a religion) comment within it - there was indeed, a lot of spirituality talked about. There was one point, that in a poem she read out, she said that the secret of her show was her wonderful assistant but I doubt that had anything to do with the film's title.

And there was no more tarot references.

To be honest, looking at the film in one go, as I had only seen bits before, it was a little flat. There was little in it that we didn't already know. It was like a reflection of the previous film - yes, she works hard; yes, she has a maternal relationship with her dancers (there was a very touching scene where she gave one of them a guitar, which he wasn't expecting); yes, she can cry on film; yes, she is an amazing live performer. None of these things are secrets or a revelation to the Madonna fan or casual viewer, since we know so much about her at this point in her career. It is a little dull (probably for her as well) to keep hearing how she likes to drink guiness and go to English pubs etc etc.

Regardless of this, she still cuts the mustard musically - far better than many of her contemporaries that are half her age. Maybe that's the secret. Or possibly the secret is that no secrets were given - we think we know all there is to know and really, we know nothing.

LB

Sulis

I watched it - it was very cool.

I'm not a huge Madonna fan but I was impressed with this documentary. She's just so physically fit - made me want to exercise :)

The tarot bit was set to the tune 'Hollywood' and featured just the dancers and the animated tarot background. Small parts of the cards were animated - the path between the towers in the Death card for example showed the sun rising.
Lots of minor arcana cards were featured too.

If anyone would like to see it (if you're in the UK) it's on E4 on Saturday 10th December at 10.35pm.

Love Sulis xx

star-lover

she is into kaballah (spelling?) so will have come across tarot cards

shes always amazed me that woman - makes it look so easy but shes a hard hard worker thumbs up to her

very spiritual behind everything but does have packed 12th house i believe
and sun conjunct pluto i think

things she did years and years ago i still havent caught up with in my own life
very advanced being

Dean

U.k

I have been a great fan of Madonna's music over the last 2 Decades although i have found other interests over the last few years this being my Tarot studies, i have not been up to date with whats been happening around her life at this point.

I will be sure to look out for that Documentary on her on the 10 of Dec, it should be interesting to catch up.