Big mistake!

Red Emma

Lavender is my favorite of the essential oils, and yesterday I finally had all the ingredients together to make a lavender spray for the house. Been wanting to for a very long time. The recipe came from on of my favorite herb magazines.

One teaspoon, vodka
40 drops, lavender
8 oz of water.

However, since I love lavender so much, I doubled the recipe. Very big mistake!!!

After everything was mixed together, I started spraying. I sprayed the whole damn house. Unfortunately, it smelled just like the stuff my husband puts on his hair. Which I haven't liked for a very long time.

I wonder if the problem is the alcohol smell of the vodka?

I also have some rose oil which I bought especially for this use. It's pretty expensive, and I'm not about to put any of it in a recipe which I all ready know isn't going to work.

Advice, anyone?

Lilacsky

I think that useing vodka dilutes the smell of the lavender..but ya know I have made my own sprays and used water or rubbing alcohol..
when I used water I would make my own brew with it, by boiling the water and adding natural herbs to it than adding that to the oils or scents I choose..
hope that helps..

Red Emma

Big mistake

Lilacsky said:
... when I used water I would make my own brew with it, by boiling the water and adding natural herbs to it than adding that to the oils or scents I choose..
hope that helps..

While lavender is a main crop in the NW corner of Washington State, I don't have access to the natural lavender blossoms. Much too far away.

I've been thinking of trying it with just lavender oil and water. With this encouragement, I'll give it a try. But not double the recipe until I know what I'm doing.

Thanks much.

Equusgirl

with sprays, the quality of the vodka and how strong it is is key, as well as the quality of the oils you use. For my recipes I use only 90 proof vodka, and the purest form of oils that are on the market. Honestly, doubling the recipe is ok if you put the mixture in a twice bigger bottle than originally called for, otherwise the potion will be too strong. To fix the problem with the potion you just created, you could always divide it into two bottles again and if need be, add more water. Feel free to play around with these recipes, they're pretty forgiving :)