A couple of questions re: seating and direction of cards

Ace_of_aces

Well I've scanned the faq for these questions, but i don't think these are in there. Sorry if they are.

1. Where do you sit in relation to the querant? It seems natural to sit opposite the person to me, so this got me wondering.
This is actually in two part, I guess. Where do you think you should sit in relation to them? And also, where DO you? (there is a difference, but sorry if i'm muttering here a bit).

2. This is the question I'm more interested in.
If you use reversed meanings, and you sit opposite the querant, how do you determine which way is reversed, and which was is the normal way up for the cards? Becuase for one person, reversed would be the normal way.

Nuncle

In the few readings I've done for others, the querent sits nest to me, so he/she can see the cards in my orientation and the layout of the spread.

As forthe other question: generally, I think if you use reversals you, the reader, are the reference point for whether the card is reversed or not.

It will be interesting to see other opinions.

Nuncle

Apollonia

I prefer to sit opposite the querent, but it's not essential if space cosidersations dictate otherwise. For a relationship reading with two querents, one generally sits opposite me and one next to me. I find that most querents don't really engage in the art anyway, even when I am purposely showing them something in the image.

As for reversals, I agree with Nuncle. I'm the one who's reading, so the cards face me.

Sulis

I prefer to sit next to the person I'm reading for. That way they can see the cards themselves and add to the reading if they want to.

Guess that answers your question about reversed cards too :)

Love

Sulis xx

tarotbear

I sit the Querent next to me, usually on my right. In that way, they see the cards as I see them, and it is easier for them to remember what I said or what a card was about. If they are on my left and I am using Celtic Cross, I always run the Sceptre (cards 7-10) up the side closest to them.

For the Querent to sit across from you means they see the cards reversed of what you are viewing. In this case I would make sure the Querent is shown the card before placing it down since that may lessen confusion. Remember - you read the cards from your viewpoint.

Sunburst

I like to have the querent to my left, but if they prefer to sit across from me, I don't mind. If I'm using reversals (sometimes I do, but usually I don't), I read the cards from my own perspective.

Sunburst

Nocturnal Lure

The cards talk to the reader, so reversed cards are based on the readers perspective.

I instinctively always sit across the table, not only by my choice, but querant instincively take place on the other side... I think this has several reasons.

1) You are a consultant, and there seems to be an unspoken code of conduct and unwritten rules of how things should go about.

2) You need to take some distance from the querant to keep your own perspective.

3) Ceremony and tradition add to a certain "mystique" of which the tarot only benefits.

rainwolf

I usually sit opposite of the person I'm reading for, but I would just do it however you are comfortable.

Either way, I would always read the cards (right side or upside down) in my view, because most likely who you are reading for (unless they are a reader) will have no idea what they mean, so having the cards face them the correct way will not really do anything. It might even make you interpret them wrong if you get confused on which way the cards are facing.

Zephyros

I don't think about it too much, but at times I prefer that the Querent sits next to me and the reading feels more unofficial and more at ease, and not me delivering words of wisdom, which is not the feeling I want to convey.

As for reversals, even thogh I don't use them, but if I did, then as people have said, I am the one doing the reading, so I read accordingly.

tarobones

always next to the querent

I always have the querent sit next to me. This is important, I believe, to show how both reader and querent together are seeking the wisdom of Tarot and together are on the Tarot adventure. It also brings with it a fundamental equality which I think is also important. It also automatically solves the reversal problem. We see the same cards, in the same direction. Sitting opposite each other creates barriers in my view. BB, Michael