What do you do when...

blackroseivy

...they are REALLY desperate for something to happen, but it just doesn't seem to be "in the cards"?

I guess what I am asking is, how do you let clients down gently??

MercyMe

You could do another quick reading with regard to how they might change the situation? I've done that and without a doubt if my proposed course of action was an ill-advised one, the cards told me. I think you have to be honest about what the cards say. You can say to your client, "I can see how much you really want this, so let's see what the cards advise as to how to get there, or if you should try to get there..." and then ask the cards how the client should get from point A to point B and what the result will likely be if she goes that route. I'd hate to leave a client dangling without a sense of empowerment over her choices in any given situation. At least if she does choose to go ahead against the advice of the cards, she was told ahead of time.

contrascarpe

Typically I read the cards as they are and tell them that the message in the cards is more imperative than what they are looking for. I apologize but do tell them that the cards will usually indicate what is important in their lives. I find it is dangerous to make something up just to fit their question.

Dan

poivre

I tell them what the cards are saying and then I try
to bring positive issues into the reading.
I tell them to think of things they are thankful for and
what they have that other people wish they had.
Most times I explain that every person and family have some
kind of issue. There is always someone that would like to have
our problems, for our problems would be nothing to what they
have to deal with.
And...
we are not given what we want, we are given what we need in this lifetime to make it through. Everyones wants and needs are different.
Everything is here for us, we need just to look at what's good in
our life, not dwell on the opposite. Learn to let go and let things
be the way they are and not always having to have the control.

Something like this! :)
ros

blackroseivy

Hey, thanx, you guys!! :D

tarotbear

I try to let them know/understand that even though their situation seems desparate to them, they have to look for the positive in the 'now', not in the 'when.' Unfortunately, even with empowerment to decide on the best way to proceed, the universe moves at its own pace and we mere mortals cannot change the speed in which something is going to or meant to happen. That is a hard lesson for people who expect instant gratification for every little thing in their lives - wanting something to happen on demand. When they are desparate, it only magnifies their desire. It is a hard situation for them, and even full of reality for them, too. The best you can do is show them what they are in control of, and what they cannot.

MercyMe

tarotbear said:
The best you can do is show them what they are in control of, and what they cannot.

Yes. Too true. Reminding ourselves and our clients that we simply cannot make all things happen the way we desire may seem like a no-brainer, but when someone is really desperate for a particular outcome that perspective is so valuable. Thanks for the reminder.

Mercy

Chronata

I often tell the client that I am going to read what they need to know...not neccessarily what they want to know.

But often, I can see the desperation in some people...especially those who actually ask a question, rather than have me read my general spread.

All too often...it is a relationship question...and if it's not in the cards, well...

there are a lot of other things in the cards to talk about...other strengths, wonderful things to focus on...possible good things in other areas of their life.

And I explain that they need to focus on these things...or work hard at making themselves happy with work, or school, or hobbies or friendships...or adventure...or whatever else they excell at.