More about Oracle Readings?

Forty-six and Two

I'm quite confused as to how one does an Oracle reading. Can anybody explain the principle to me?

a_shikhs

Hi Forty-six and two,
could you be a little more specific as to your question.. Oracle decks are somewhat like tarot decks. They are easily available in book shops. Oracle readings are simpler than tarot readings. Tarot gives you answers to your questions and how to react with problems. But oracle is based more on advices. You read oracle cards the same way as tarot cards. I mean you shuffle the cards, ask a question, remove a number of cards and connect them all and read.. Hope this helped... :)

Forty-six and Two

Ok thanks, it just seemed that they were more complex or something. I'm under the impression that they're less structured as there's no suits or the like. Am I mislead or is this the case? Do they often come with accompanying books for clarification? (I'm a novice at all this, so I need the help I can get)
Thanks again

a_shikhs

Yes they do come with small booklets that explain the meaning of each card in detail. Oracle cards are simpler to read as compared to tarot cards. But you cant ask complex questions while using oracle cards. They are more for the spiritual level and your inner self and guidance...

Dancing Bear

Try having a look at the oracle readings posted here, it will give you an idea as to what they are about. all oracles have something to offer. i have Medicine cards, Mlle Lenormande. Both are fantastic. The medicine cards are more for self reflection rather than possible events that may happen.
Where as Lenormande are to do with events thats may happen.
both you can use Tarots spreads. some may not work you just need to experiment. The medicine cards came with a book that is very informantive, giving you meanings behind the cards and the sources of creation. Mlle lenormand only came with a paper booklet with basic meanings and an example reading and you wing it from there.
There are many many oracle decks out there, hope you find one that suits you.

Good Luck!
Dancing Bear. :)

Forty-six and Two

Thanks very much for clearing that up for me. I've actually had my eye on the Faeries Oracle. It's a gorgeous deck, but it also has that mysterious quality that for unknown reasons appeals to me and draws me in. It might just have to be my next purchase.

a_shikhs

Hi i just got the faeries oracle by froud recently, and i love it...it connects beautifully and the artwork is mindblowing.. It is a must buy..:thumbsup: You can even check out a few oracle decks by doreen virtue. Even they are really nice and pretty and connect very well...

CloeCat

A slightly different view

I do not feel "simpler" is quite the right way to put it, unless we are talking about learning the oracle and how to use it. Then again in may cases I can see how others may feel this way depending on the particular oracle (Doreen Vertues cards are very easy to work with and learn).
I feel that Tarot is more complex and harder to learn in most compairative(sp?) cases, though not all.
Oracles are many times based around a culture and/or theme, like Fearies, Animals, Druidry, Native American Beliefs, extra. If one has a back round of interest and has learned a great deal about say "faeries" then it may be very easy just to piack up a deck and use from the knowledge and familaraty(sp?) one already has with the theme of the Oracle.

It has been my experience that Cultural oracles are more complex to learn though not always harder to use once studied and understud than tarot. For Tarot is based on a Christian/Catholic view of the world based around the 1400s or so. Where as say... The Druid Animal Oracle is based off of beliefs and values of Celtic people who lived over 7,000 years ago and the Druid beliefs connected to them and the animals and some plants that reflected and made up an important part of their world.

This Oracle (DAO) has only 30 cards to learn, where as Tarot has 78 cards.
Tarot is divided in to Major 22 cards and Minor 56 cards that are farther divided into 4 suites (40 cards), plus the court (16) cards.
DAO has a lose structure the main being that the animals are divided into "groupings": there are 4 Elemental groups, Animals that are considared "Pairs",those that are "connected to faeries," , and so on... the only cards that might be consider major cards are the 4 dragons. In the book it list more possible "groupings," but incourages you to find patterns or groupings that come to you. Plus on many but not all the cards there are plants or flowers that are connected to the animal or symbols within that animal card. From these added features you get a idea and might imagine how detailed a reading can become.

As to types of readings from The Tarot or DAO, I am able to do advise and answer readings with both. So again it would depend on the Oracle. If asked I prefer reading with the DAO, though I still read with Tarot when seekers ask for its use.

Sorry that was so long, but hope that adds some insight.
Hopeful Purrrs,
CloeCat

zorya

well said cloecat!

btw. technically the tarot is an oracle too.

there are so many different kinds of oracles, that there is no rule about ease of reading or about how to read them.

some of the historical oracles can be very complex, and take years to learn to read well. some are very structured, like 'the mantegna' (my precious :D ).

some oracles have the meanings printed right on each card, others are read solely by intuition, like the 'soul cards.

most oracles do come with books; but like tarot, the books usually only tell you what each card means. the meanings can also be interpreted based on position and other cards nearby.