PDA

View Full Version : Thread load times

OakDragon
05-01-2006, 03:25
I asked this question in the Song Title Game thread in Chat, but I'll ask it here, too, since it's more appropriate here. I have seen it mentioned both there and in the Decks forum in the what decks are you awaiting threads. Namely, that more posts in a thread make it take longer to load. Please forgive my density, but doesn't it depend more on how your user cp options are set? Threads load only one page at a time, right? At least, they only show one page at a time. There is an Option in the User CP to set how many posts to display on a page, either 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, or 1000 (!). Could it be that those who are experiencing slow loading have their's set to 1000? Did that setting become the default somehow?

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

MikeBloke
05-01-2006, 03:49
Yeah, I believe your right, I tried setting it to 1000 myself the other day, and well I couldnt be bothered to wait, so I reset it back lol.

Annabelle
05-01-2006, 03:53
Oakie, that's a beautiful theory, but I only see 10 posts per page, and those mega-threads (the deck identifcation game thread, for example) take FOREVER to load regardless of what computer I'm using (my old desktop machine at home, my fast new laptop at home, or my semi-fast machine at work).

OakDragon
05-01-2006, 03:56
Oakie, that's a beautiful theory, but I only see 10 posts per page, and those mega-threads (the deck identifcation game thread, for example) take FOREVER to load regardless of what computer I'm using (my old desktop machine at home, my fast new laptop at home, or my semi-fast machine at work).

Hmm. Interesting. Beats me then! I wonder if it's a browser setting.

(Edited to add: I'm on dialup and have never had this problem.)

Annabelle
05-01-2006, 04:01
Hmm. Interesting. Beats me then! I wonder if it's a browser setting.

(Edited to add: I'm on dialup and have never had this problem.)
Very curious indeed. I'm on DSL at home and something akin to it at work, and have always suffered slow load times on big threads. Maybe it is a browser setting, then.

gregory
05-01-2006, 05:07
I think it must be - I'm on dial up at home and a very high speed network at work - and at home AT loads faster. I am sorry to see that one thread has been closed for this reason, as I really don't think it CAN be the thread length that does it - the slowest load I have had for some time was - this thread :!: With 5 posts or something..... I can't help thinking that sort of blows the thread size theory out the water ?????

PS I view 50 posts per page, both places.