Detox and changing medicine problems

raeanne

Hi all,
I have health problems from cancer treatments that I had 23 years ago. Basically my inards were fried by radiation. The problem now is that the medication I have been on for the last 13 years suddenly is not being made by any drug company on the face of the planet! (I tried contacting Mars but didn't get a response from there either! :-O) Anyway, this medication is a controlled substance which means it is a mild narcotic. I have spent the last couple of weeks fighting withdrawl from this medicine. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be. Mostly I have problems sleeping. The symptoms are like restless leg syndrome. Does anyone know of a herb that might help detox my system or help with restless leg? I go back to the doctor next week and hopefully we will find a medicine that will control my digestive system. In the meantime....run, run, run to the bathroom.

brenmck

Vitamin E!

I checked through the internet once to help my old sis with this problem, and Vitamin E was recommended. It did work for her. She was already taking it but in small, 200 IU daily doses. I am NOT suggesting you take a megadose, but Vit. E does help. Type "restless leg syndrom" or "vitamin E" in your search engine - you should find all the info you need. Blessings.

~B~

Julien

Hi there,

Well, I can't be as specific as I'm sure you'd like, but I did have some problems a few years ago coming off of codeine after having chronic bronchitis for a year, and found the most remarkable little book: Healing Tonics by Jeanine Pollak (Storey Publishing, 2000 -- but I recently ordered it via Amazon for another friend, so I know it's out there, under $18 in paper, and available).

I'm not sure that any are precisely what you need -- as I'm not a practitioner of the healing arts and your particular health problems are very serious, I don't feel comfortable making much in the way of a recommendation, except to say the book itself is remarkably helpful. But there are some really great cleansing tonics in the book that might be helpful -- as well as some restructuring and healing tonics which, I swear, are better than any medicine I've taken for getting my balance back after being seriously ill. Good grief, the remedies in it have even helped me with some serious sinus problems -- far better, and much more gently than the heavy doses of decongestants the doctors recommended. There's also a great table of herbs and their uses that I've found very helpful.

I hope you feel better soon,
Julien

HudsonGray

Good detox choices are burdock, dandelion, silymarin and milk thistle. That and lots of water (twice as much as you'd normally drink). The only side effects on those items would be possible constipation, but that's rare.

raeanne

Hi all,
Thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions! The medical/pharmacy community and I are going to have a face off over this situation. How they can perscribe a habit forming medicine to people and then just stop making it without proper advanced notice is beyond my comprehension. You know and I know that they didn't decide a week ago last Thursday to stop making this medicine. They knew this was coming and just didn't bother to let anyone know. I understand that my health is complex because of the cancer treatments. Maybe I will never be able to get to where I can do without drugs of some kind but I am going to try to be as independent from them as possible. All of you have given me back my fighting spirit! Just what I need when I go see the doctor next week. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!

TemperanceAngel

raeanne, selenite would be a great crystal for you too :)

raeanne

Hi all,
Just an update...
I met with my new doctor. She seems to be willing to go the extra mile to help me. She wants to have me do the test where you swallow a small camera that actually takes pictures of the inside of the small intestine. If she can see how much damage the radiation treatments did, she can better know how to help. Unfortunately my insurance needs to have proof that this test is needed so I have to have several other tests first in order to prove that I really need to swallow the camera. I still need to schedule a couple more tests before we can schedule the camera test. I'll keep you posted.

wizzle

Folic acid is a great help with restless leg.

You can also do visualizations where you cleanse your body of toxins. I use a tai chi method where you move your arms down and across your body and then slowly move them up and over your head to deposit the impurities into the stars. Sounds a bit nuts but it does work. I can't say enough good things about tai chi. In just over two weeks I've rid myself of chronic inflamations that have plagued me for the last year. And I'm 59, mind.