Can't. Go. Without. My. DECKS!!!!

MareSaturni

I'm going to travel and...i just noticed i'm taking THREE decks with me. Two tarot (one normal and one mini), one oracle. If my boyfriend knew he would be all like 'why so many decks? isn't it all the same? you're just making the luggage havier! blah blah yadda blah?'

Actually, it's not only him that asks about it and THAT'S why i hide my decks in under the clothes, inside bags etc. To avoid having to answer a thing i have no answer for. And to protect them, of course.

Does anyone else has the need to take at least two decks whenever they are going to travel? Or going to spend a week at grandma's?

I want to know i'm not the only crazy one o_O

~Yuko

OakDragon

Umm, I hate to say it, but I think you ARE the crazy one! You're ONLY taking THREE decks?! :bugeyed: How long a trip is this?

But seriously, no I don't think you're crazy. I always do that when I travel, too. In fact, I always keep about 5 or 6 decks in my bag that I carry my laptop in, so even if only go to the local coffeehouse, I always have my favorite decks with me! :D

Dwaas

Hello Miss Yuko,

I always bring one deck with me, where ever I go. And when it is for any longer than three days I bring several decks, like three or four. Perhaps you are crazy but it must be comforting to know you are in kind company :D :D :D
Blessings

sosuper

If I had more than one deck...

Miss yuko:

If I had more than one deck, I would so totally take more than half of my deck collection with me!

tarotbear

miss_yuko said:
Does anyone else has the need to take at least two decks whenever they are going to travel? Or going to spend a week at grandma's?

I took my cards to Europe with me; would never have taken off without them.

For 'insurance' - meaning I don't have one on my person - I have a half-size RWS in the glove box of my car. You never know when someone at a restaurant is going to need a reading and I just go out and get it.

Traveling? - At least one deck - but it depends on what and where I'm going. I have a CD carrycase that I use for my traveling Tarot stuff. I can fit two full-size decks in it. When I go camping I make sure I have the Robin Wood and one of the gay-themed decks such as the Gay Tarot or Cosmic Tribe. I can also carry one deck and a spreadcloth if I carry a smaller deck with me. It's a black vinyl case so it doesn't attract a lot of attention. I have been known to carry it with me when I go to the pool for the day or shopping on Commercial Street in P-Town. I carry a black tarot bag but wear a celestially-themed kilt- go figure!

When I went to Europe I took only one deck with me, wrapped in silk and in a small carry-bag. It fit in my carry-on luggage so it was with me at all times. I did not want it to go missing if luggage was lost, nor confiscated by curious or greedy customs officers.

If you are only going across town, or overnight and back - is two or more decks going to be seen as 'obsessive'? Probably- so take only one favorite deck and a journal and pen to write stuff down.

Julien

Definitely not crazy -- you need the decks you use the most often or just feel you need with you... Seriously -- I did a lot of traveling this summer and kept two decks with me, as well as a couple of books on the history of the Tarot... It is a little space in the luggage, but only a little bit. And, really, you need them for your down time. I mean, won't you be a happier traveler with them than without them? Even if you hardly ever use them while you're out and about? And if you're a very good packer, they really only take up a tiny bit of space...

'Course, I also often travel with three or four tomes I need to read on law and legal theory, my laptop, and then run off in search of a printer and fax machine once I get to my destination -- just so I know they're there in case... So what's a deck or two of my Tarot cards? ;)

Julien

Little Baron

You are not crazy. I usually take one to work. Even if I don't use it or even look at it (which I usually don't), I feel secure that I have it with me.

If I go on a longer trip, then a deck is about as important as my toothbrush. Even if I am busy all day, there is that half an hour before sleep, tucked up in bed, doing a small spread or sifting through the images. I started a thread like this some time ago. I think it was called 'Do you pine for your decks?'. I had just been away and couldn't leave the RWS and Marseille behind. I am so glad that I didn't because during calmer and quieter parts of my day, when family were watching tv or having a lap, I worked with my decks and enjoyed the time with them.

So, no; you are not crazy. Take the decks and leave the boyfriend behind! :D

LB

Little Baron

Just to add:

The last trip that I made in England was for a week. I took my laptop, as well as the decks. As well as being able to watch films on it, if I was bored, it also acted as a notepad. But ... I made sure, the night before we left, that I downloaded at least twenty of the meater threads from Aeclectic on to it. I knew that there would not be internet access in the caravan that I was staying, so it gave me something to read there and also, as a passenger in the back of the long car journey. It was almost like taking you lot with me!

LB

lunakasha

Nope, not crazy....;)

I always carry one deck in my purse....like others have mentioned, even if I never take it out, I feel more secure having it with me. Right now it is the Thoth.

And when I travel, I will take several decks and books with me....there is nothing I would rather look at or read about! Can't remember the last time I read a novel all the way through, but I read about tarot every day. I am almost finished with baba's Fairytale book....absolutely love it.

:) Luna

Julien

miss_yuko said:
I'm going to travel and...i just noticed i'm taking THREE decks with me. Two tarot (one normal and one mini), one oracle. If my boyfriend knew he would be all like 'why so many decks? isn't it all the same? you're just making the luggage havier! blah blah yadda blah?'

You can always ask him if he'd like to find out what it is to travel with you sans Tarot decks... ;) Ahem... Around about the time your fingers start to itch to shuffle the deck, or you feel the need to think about something that you've seen or heard using the images in one of your decks... Could be fun for your travel partner...

Just a thought... :)

Julien