copying cards for reading?

cyan

i'm doing a reading for a friend who lives several hours away from me. the way i normally read tarot is to talk over each card with the seeker. it occured to me that if it wouldn't infringe on copyright i could take the cards i draw for her down to the local copy place and get the spread copied in color on one of their large copy machines. i could then roll it up, stick it in a mailing tube, and as soon as she recieves it we could discuss it over the phone.
but i don't know if this is legally ok. can anyone tell me if it is or not?
thanks, cyan

Netzach

With books, one is allowed to copy a certain amount of the text if it's for private study. Since you're not going to be copying the whole deck but only a few cards, and since it's for a private reading - ie will only be seen by the person you're reading for, and since you'll be copying the cards onto paper and not trying to make new cards, I can't think that anyone would object.

inanna_tarot

I think it also depends if you are making money from the reading or not.
If its just a private thing between friends I cant see it being a problem, but its good to check :)

Blessings,
Sezo
x

cyan

thank you Netzach and inanna_tarot for helping me out. and no i'm not doing this reading for money just for experience.
cyan

tarotbear

Netzach said:
since you'll be copying the cards onto paper and not trying to make new cards, I can't think that anyone would object.

The copy place can object! They can stop you from copying copyrighted material - but probably wont.

Emily

tarotbear said:
The copy place can object! They can stop you from copying copyrighted material - but probably wont.

Unless you get a total Jobsworth like I did at my local library - I do alot of cross stitch and sometimes liked to copy a chart instead of marking the magazine it came from. I did this for months until one librarian came along and asked me what it was I was copying. I told her and she said what I was doing wasn't legal, I couldn't copy them.

I don't bother with the library now - I bought myself a scanner })

Rogan

E-Tarot

Or you could do what Ive done in the past - Find a site with all the cards on it, and cut and paste each card into the spread in a paint-document... Then just email the file to them...

cyan

Emily, you are a genius!
somehow i never see the obvious.
after reading your post i trotted out to the garage and asked my husband if that thing in his office was a scanner of the flatbed type. yes, indeed it is.
however it isn't connected into our system because he's never used it so after an hour of trying to find out why it won't connect we are contacting our wizard for advice.
i love your logical mind, Emily! thank you.

cyan

yours is a fine idea also Rogan. it was what i was wondering about just before i read Emily's post. it may come to that if we can't get the %#$* scanner connected to our system.
thank you so much
cyan

ocho8s

Also I guess it depends in which cards you are copying.......
regarding the Cross stitch, I also do copies for myself so the magazine or the chart does not get damage but in another group I learned that it was illegal and we should ask for permission, when we did the designers said NO !!!
oh my........... a difficult subject indeed
Bendiciones
Anaoly