a project for school tarot history

azuremoonchild

oki so i am doing a project and i need to find the origin of tarot
any body wanna help?

Grizabella

Just about any book on tarot has a brief section on the origins of tarot. I think most tarot websites have that, too. And if you look on Amazon, there are books on tarot history specifically. I haven't read any of the books on that topic but I'll bet some of our members can refer you to the right books.

azuremoonchild

oki!
i shall look into it... anyone know the origins/ place where it started?

gregory

Indeed - there is plenty in Alfred Douglas' book called (wait for it) The Tarot ! - Penguin. Doesn't seem to come up on amazon, but if you google for it loads of sellers come up. Or in Rachel Pollack's books.

PS I don't think anyone entirely agrees when or where it started - except that it WASN'T in the Dark Ages in Egypt ! But if you research on line, you will find loads. Try www.tarotpassages.com - somewhere in there is an excellent timeline. Make sure and follow thie links in it though - the main one does NOT start from the earliest known decks.....

carly

Hiya! I'm in a very essay-ful year at the moment, lol, and if I were you I'd be thinking about not doing an essay on "The origin of tarot", but on "the theories of the oragins of tarot" and write about different theories, rather than one and sticking to it (no-one really knows anyway, even if they say they do). So maybe do bits about tarot in history and bits about myths and legends. What's the subject anyway? (if you don't mind me being nosy :D)

xx carly

tarobones

A good source

A good source is "The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination" by Robert M. Place. It's a wonderful book, which deals with history and symbolism in a very balanced way. He knows his stuff. He also has a chapter on his famous "Three Card Sentence" a wonderful way to do a 3 card spread. Very profound. I highly recommend it. BB, Michael

tarotbear

azuremoonchild ~

If I was going to write such a report/paper I would begin by mentioning that there is no exact date or location for the 'origin' of tarot, but would list two or three of the theories and who came up with those theories showing the different ways in which peoples and cultures tried to 'explain' or legitimaize their ideas.

If you get a chance to see a copy of Robin Wood's "The Robin Wood Tarot Book' - be sure to check out her chapter on the origins of Tarot - there are two blank pages! :bugeyed: No - really!