PDA

View Full Version : Herbs for Medicinal Uses

Moonchild1721
14-01-2006, 08:44
Does anyone here use herbs for medicinal purposes? I've been considering taking a course on herbalism, and would like to hear anyone's experience with this. Is anypne here a certified herbalist? And if so, what course did you take? I've dabbled in learning about hersbs, but never really got serious. For Christmas, I was given the Herbal Tarot, and it has peaked my interest even more.
Thanks
Samantha

Antenna
14-01-2006, 14:21
Does anyone here use herbs for medicinal purposes? I've been considering taking a course on herbalism, and would like to hear anyone's experience with this. Is anypne here a certified herbalist? And if so, what course did you take? I've dabbled in learning about hersbs, but never really got serious. For Christmas, I was given the Herbal Tarot, and it has peaked my interest even more.
Thanks
Samantha

hmm if u are looking at herbs. i am not an expert but i do know the general traditional chinese herbs for health. i have found this website http://www.chinese-herbs.org/. some chinese herbs have a pungent fragance so not sure if u dare to try it. those common ones can be found in chinatown its good for cooking soups to aid in eyesight and preventing colds and stuff.

Gyda
15-01-2006, 06:23
I'm a well read laymen, though I'd really recommend looking up a local collage course, I have a shelf full of books and few older family memebers to turn to, website wise I like this one http://www.herbnet.com/

Gyda

Moonchild1721
20-01-2006, 04:34
Thanks for that link, Gyda! I did find a course at an adult school near me which I'm going to take, but it isn't as in depth as I'd like. I did hear about a school called the Clayton College of Natural Health, which I think I'm going to look into. It would be an online course.
Samantha

einhverfr
02-02-2006, 16:32
Yes, I use them as my primary means of maintaining my health. I have used herbs medicinally that I would not generally recommend to others, such as bitersweet nightshade and mistletoe.

I would suggest building a library with a number of types of works. These might include serious works on naturopathy (like The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine), good books on herbs (The Healing Herbs by Michael Castleman), and maybe a few others. I have a few rare herbals self-published by friends of mine with a great deal of experience.

A few things to look for:
1) A good book will provide cautions about each herb. Many herbs, such as comfrey are dangerous if taken improperly, i.e. if you are healthy drink 20 cups of comfrey tea a day, you may develop liver damage, but if you drink 2 cups of comfrey tea a day and already have liver damage, you are really asking for trouble.
2) Check the bibliography.

FantasyWorld
02-02-2006, 20:19
I'm a well read laymen, though I'd really recommend looking up a local collage course, I have a shelf full of books and few older family memebers to turn to, website wise I like this one http://www.herbnet.com/

Gyda

This site is Awesome Gyda!
Thanks so much for posting it:)

alphonsine
07-02-2006, 05:34
clayton college is quite wonderful and very reasonable.
i would suggest a book by Linda Page
called Healthy Healing
she is my favorite refference.
she provides many modalities
and options in healing
also
Conscious Eating
by Gabriel Cousens
is a wonderful book
blessings and health to all
AlP

Leleii
07-02-2006, 08:54
Try the Susunweed.com website. Susun Weed has written herbal
books and has classes on herbal uses. She owns a farm in the Catskills
and takes on apprentice to learn the wise woman ways of herbal uses.
Leleii

wizzle
08-02-2006, 03:27
Another herb farm that offers classes and apprenticeship

http://www.herbsandapples.com/

palzom
06-08-2006, 09:06
I'm actually a student herbalist in Michael Tierra's program. He's the one that created that tarot deck (the herbal tarot). I had no idea he was into tarot. The course ( at least its first three parts = a few years) are run correspondence, then you must visit santa cruz on a regular basis for a few years, then apprentice with someone in your area. that's the full path, but you could stop at any point. This is a VERY reputable program.

http://www.planetherbs.com

skygreen
06-08-2006, 09:50
Yes I have use herbs for medicinal purposes for myself and my family for many years now. I've taken a couple of herbal magazines for decades and collected books etc. But have not taken any of the more formal courses.
I picked up some herbal lore as a child from my great grandparents and grandparents though of course herbal medicine folk lore should be checked out carefully for more recent contra indications.
I grow some herbs in my garden and these serve as the basic supply for a lot of our medicinal needs as well as the culinary, decorative, and magickal ones etc.

I've also had the Herbal Tarot for a long time too it was my primary deck for quite a while.

Sherringham
08-08-2006, 01:11
You might try to locate a copy of Culpepers' Compleat Herbal, it was compiled by Nicholas Culpeper about 300 years ago, perhaps local library? an awfully interesting historical read. ( I think I have spelt his name correctly)

issam5
04-11-2006, 02:09
Thanks for posting this...a wondrous site. You're not in Aberdeen by any chance?

Red Emma
04-11-2006, 03:30
When I'm confronted with a physical problem, including infectious stuff, I first look to herbs for an answer. If none exist then I go to an md.

My resources include several books I've collected over the years, especially a "Physician's Desk Reference" for medicinal herbs. This a PDR, the holy of holies for traditional medical people. (The PDR company first published references for traditional chemical medications, finally added one on herbal medicines about five or six years ago.)

Also useful are several herbal magazines. I like best "Herbs for Health." As with the PDR, all articles are based on authentic, respectable academic research so no one needs to worry about the integrity of their recommendations.

I also find the interesting articles on the Internet, although I worry a whole lot more about the safety of stuff I find there ... usually cross-check it with other sources whose recommendations I trust.

I find herbal meds a lot safer than the chemically based stuff of traditional medications. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL. Do not diagnose yourself, at least beyond colds, flu etc. But after you've seen an md for a diagnosis, you MIGHT find an herb that will be as useful, and a whole lot safer.

BUT, PLEASE, BE VERY,VERY CAREFUL.

viking goddess
05-11-2006, 21:53
I'm an herbalist and use herbs medicinally. I make syrups for relieving sore throat, bug repellant spray, salves for wounds, pain relief, skin rashes. I also make herbal vinegars, herbal soaps. I sell and trade the stuff that I make. I haven't been to a doctor in 6 years and counting. I hope to keep that up. I studied chinese medicine for a couple years. Here is link to my chinese herb page: http://chinesetherapeutics.org/herbindex.html

Guiding Cauldron
05-11-2006, 22:09
i was looking into a more diret learning method of herbs other than self learning and family info passed down. I'm looking into eventually haveing my own herbal store from organic farmers and teh like to help people with their chronic everyday complaints. Being a herbal practioner would be amazing. thank you for the info :)

Red Emma
06-11-2006, 07:43
i was looking into a more direct learning method of herbs other than self learning and family info passed down. :)

I thought of that after I posted, been meaning to get back to you. If you can find a copy or two of the magazine, "Herbs for Health" several schools and programs advertise in it regularly. I hope I'm not being too naive, but my respect for the magazine is such that I think they would not carry ads from sleazy, fly-by-night organizations. If that specific magazine isn't available in the UK, I suspect that a librarian could help you locate an English version of the thing.

Your plans sound wonderful. I hope they come to pass.

Blessings,

Emma

Guiding Cauldron
08-11-2006, 22:01
Ty so much for your kind words and encouragement. That was so sweet of you xx

I'll see if I can find that magazine here in the UK, that sounds amazing help! I'm still in my very baby steps regarding this plan lol but I do love researching it all now :) I bought a book recently about Wiccan healing, and a book about Angel healing so far they are very good fit for this path.

I just need to NOT get ahead of myself and burn out, like I always do because I get so excited! Blessings to you for your help and guidance it is appreciated. xx

Red Emma
09-11-2006, 07:17
Ty so much for your kind words and encouragement.

I bought a book recently about Wiccan healing, and a book about Angel healing so far they are very good fit for this path.

I just need to NOT get ahead of myself and burn out, like I always do because I get so excited! xx

You're very welcome. I hope you reach your goals. I understand about getting excited about plans, then working on them so hard I burn out. It's something I continually have to guard against.

Wicca is such a broad path, and I've always thought had many branches, so I'm not sure what specific thing Wiccan healing would be. Also I've never heard about angel healing. Could you tell me a bit about them?

Blessings,

Emma

Guiding Cauldron
09-11-2006, 20:08
You're very welcome. I hope you reach your goals. I understand about getting excited about plans, then working on them so hard I burn out. It's something I continually have to guard against.

Wicca is such a broad path, and I've always thought had many branches, so I'm not sure what specific thing Wiccan healing would be. Also I've never heard about angel healing. Could you tell me a bit about them?

Blessings,

Emma

Hello Emma:

Wicca is a very broad path, and to be honest when i first was being lead down this path i didn't like it lol. Now i undwerstand more about it all and oddly enough most of it is very familiar to me anyway. Like a distant memory.

anyway. I find i combine a few things together for effective healings. mind you i'm still very new at this hence the researching still. since the wiccan way is based on nature and its properties i find it a much better way to actually HELP heal the concern BOTH physically and emotionally. Healing can not happen fully without the health and happyiness of both.

I think thats why initially i was getting so confused with alchemist, shamanism, herbalism, and wicca because throught history they are all very much the same at their roots but just in different time periods. :)

my intrest in teh angel realm wa sreally never my intent, but it eveolved through my intrest in teh Fae realm, they are closely related and work side by side i have found. :)

The Angel book i am currently reading teaches how to do healing through yoru hands, much as the Angels do. I know there is a particular name fo rthis as loads of poeple here at AT do this very kind of work.

I have always ben a huge advocat in natural healing methods through herbs, taraning your mind to think differently and DIVINE guidance makeing its precense known to us in various ways.

well i dont know if this really answered your question or not lol but hope that helps in some way blessings xx