Herbs for Medicinal Uses

Moonchild1721

Does anyone here use herbs for medicinal purposes? I've been considering taking a course on herbalism, and would like to hear anyone's experience with this. Is anypne here a certified herbalist? And if so, what course did you take? I've dabbled in learning about hersbs, but never really got serious. For Christmas, I was given the Herbal Tarot, and it has peaked my interest even more.
Thanks
Samantha

Antenna

how abt TCM?

Moonchild1721 said:
Does anyone here use herbs for medicinal purposes? I've been considering taking a course on herbalism, and would like to hear anyone's experience with this. Is anypne here a certified herbalist? And if so, what course did you take? I've dabbled in learning about hersbs, but never really got serious. For Christmas, I was given the Herbal Tarot, and it has peaked my interest even more.
Thanks
Samantha

hmm if u are looking at herbs. i am not an expert but i do know the general traditional chinese herbs for health. i have found this website http://www.chinese-herbs.org/. some chinese herbs have a pungent fragance so not sure if u dare to try it. those common ones can be found in chinatown its good for cooking soups to aid in eyesight and preventing colds and stuff.

Gyda

I'm a well read laymen, though I'd really recommend looking up a local collage course, I have a shelf full of books and few older family memebers to turn to, website wise I like this one http://www.herbnet.com/

Gyda

Moonchild1721

Thanks for that link, Gyda! I did find a course at an adult school near me which I'm going to take, but it isn't as in depth as I'd like. I did hear about a school called the Clayton College of Natural Health, which I think I'm going to look into. It would be an online course.
Samantha

einhverfr

Yes, I use them as my primary means of maintaining my health. I have used herbs medicinally that I would not generally recommend to others, such as bitersweet nightshade and mistletoe.

I would suggest building a library with a number of types of works. These might include serious works on naturopathy (like The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine), good books on herbs (The Healing Herbs by Michael Castleman), and maybe a few others. I have a few rare herbals self-published by friends of mine with a great deal of experience.

A few things to look for:
1) A good book will provide cautions about each herb. Many herbs, such as comfrey are dangerous if taken improperly, i.e. if you are healthy drink 20 cups of comfrey tea a day, you may develop liver damage, but if you drink 2 cups of comfrey tea a day and already have liver damage, you are really asking for trouble.
2) Check the bibliography.

FantasyWorld

Gyda said:
I'm a well read laymen, though I'd really recommend looking up a local collage course, I have a shelf full of books and few older family memebers to turn to, website wise I like this one http://www.herbnet.com/

Gyda

This site is Awesome Gyda!
Thanks so much for posting it:)

alphonsine

clayton college is quite wonderful and very reasonable.
i would suggest a book by Linda Page
called Healthy Healing
she is my favorite refference.
she provides many modalities
and options in healing
also
Conscious Eating
by Gabriel Cousens
is a wonderful book
blessings and health to all
AlP

Leleii

Try the Susunweed.com website. Susun Weed has written herbal
books and has classes on herbal uses. She owns a farm in the Catskills
and takes on apprentice to learn the wise woman ways of herbal uses.
Leleii

palzom

coincidence

I'm actually a student herbalist in Michael Tierra's program. He's the one that created that tarot deck (the herbal tarot). I had no idea he was into tarot. The course ( at least its first three parts = a few years) are run correspondence, then you must visit santa cruz on a regular basis for a few years, then apprentice with someone in your area. that's the full path, but you could stop at any point. This is a VERY reputable program.

http://www.planetherbs.com