Stone Tarot

sharpchick

In Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and Metal Magic, he has a chapter on stone tarot. He has assigned particular stones and gems to the cards of the major arcana to use for divination. Most all of the stones have substitutions you can use in the event you cannot find/afford some of the stones he has suggested, i.e., ruby. Then he suggests you meditate on each stone and its assignment prior to using the stones.

Has anyone tried this? I am in the process of collecting some stones to pull together my major arcana collection, and I'd have to say, the collecting is half the pleasure of developing the selection. I just returned from a business trip to San Diego and found the most wonderful metaphysical bookstore at which I purchased two of my stones.

Emeraldgirl

I haven't done this with actual crystals and gemstones but their is a Crystal and Gemstone Tarot deck that I have used a bit http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gemstones-and-crystals/

Also I have heard that clear quartz can be programed to take on the qualities of other stones and effectively act as a replacement of stones that are unavailable.

Chronata

Hi Sharpchick!

I have indeed created my own lithomancy (stone) reading kit with different crystals for the Majors.

It was a neat experience. I liked the added dimension of having objects to feel and reading how they landed as well as the tarot interpretation.

But it turned out that 22 stones is a lot to work with, and eventually I just reverted back to my other lithomancy oracle, and using the cards for the tarot archetypes instead.

Here's an earlier thread on how to make your own oracle with stones...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=42389

Tk2dsky

A while back someone on ebay was selling a stone tarot. I copied their correspondances, thinking that I might try it some day. here is what they listed:
This New Lithomancy Set contains all of the following:

* There are 22 stones in all. Traditional tarot numbering is used below, beginning with zero.

0 – Fool = Crazy Lace Agate

1 – Conjurer = Quartz Crystal

2 – High Priestess = Malachite

3 – Goddess = Aventurine

4 – God = Red Jasper

5 – Chief Priest = Topaz

6 – Lovers = Rose Quartz

7 – Elements = Staurolite (Fairy Cross-Stone)

8 – Strength = Garnet

9 – Wise Elder = Blue Calcite

10 – Spiral = Rhodochrosite

11 – Justice = Carnelian

12 – Initiation = Amazonite

13 – Change = Mugglestone

14 – Temperance = Amethyst

15 – Folly = Black Stone

16 – Force = Hematite

17 – Star = Starring Ruby

18 – Moon = Moonstone

19 – Sun = Red Tiger’s Eye

20 – Rebirth = Amber

21 – Universe = Pink Ruby

B*B
Ericka

sharpchick

Thanks for the link to the thread, Chronata. . .

And Tk2dsky, that's real interesting - I'm going to compare those to the ones Scott Cunningham gives to see if there's any duplication. Leave it to an eBay seller to come up with that - how much did they get for the set?

Tk2dsky

I'm not sure...I think it was listed at about 22$
B*B
Ericka

rachelcat

There's as set on eBay right now. (I bid on several before Christmas, but they kept getting bid up a bit too high.) Right now it says Starting Bid $24.99, Buy It Now $49.99. Hmmm . . . To bid or not to bid?

Maybe you're right, Sharpchick. The fun is in collecting a set for yourself. (That should at least keep me off eBay for a few hours . . .)

sharpchick

I always prefer if possible to purchase (or barter, trade or find) stones myself and look at them in person. I have ordered some online when they were not easily accessible locally, but fortunately, we have some excellent local sources not far from me.

Acquiring the stones one or two at a time also gives me plenty of time to study and meditate on each stone. Call me old-fashioned, but I just kinda like to do it this way. . . ;)

rachelcat

I bought it!

I bought the Stone Tarot Lithomancy Set on eBay for $20 plus shipping. (I guess the price went down because everyone else who wanted a set has one by now!)

When I received it, I immediately rearranged all the correspondences! Following is my list and the reasons for them. I would appreciate feedback from all you crystal experts if I have come up with something that just doesn't work. (That is, I put a stone that means "calm pleasant times" as the Tower!!)

Fool--clear quartz--innocence, emptiness
Magician--staurolite fairy cross--I associate the M with the four elements
Priestess--moonstone--GD sez Priestess is the moon and Moon is Pisces!
Empress--malachite--both set and Crowley say aventurine, but the malachite is closer to the colors of the Thoth card
Emperior--carnelian--both set and Crowley say jasper, but carnelian and E are more orange (jasper and Tower are more red)
Pope--yellow calcite--set and Crowley say topaz (yellow) but I saved that for the stronger Sun
Lovers--rose quartz--pink!
Chariot--amethyst--color of Thoth canopy, spirituality
Strength--tiger eye--tiger, lion, beast, what's the dif?
Hermit--blue calcite--reminds me of the RWS snowy peaks
Wheel--Botswana agate--has circles
Justice--aventurine--Crowley sez emerald, aventurine close to color of card
Hanged--sodalite--blue for water/Neptune
Death--mahogany obsidian--black for endings mixed with brown for earth
Temperance--rhodochrosite--red and white mixed, fire and water mixed
Devil--hematite--black and magnetic, temptation draws you in!
Tower--jasper--red, Mars, fire
Star--meteorite--from sky (but it's not pretty enough . . .)
Moon--pearl--comes from sea creature, Pisces
Sun--topaz--strong yellow
Judgement--amber--living thing reborn as something else
World--onyx--Crowley, very earthy, basic black

Crowley references are from 777.

(I'm bidding on a huge baroque pearl on eBay, and I got the sodalite and yellow calcite from another set I had.)

So what do you think?

Minotauro

I bought the Stone Tarot Lithomancy Set on eBay for $20 plus shipping. (I guess the price went down because everyone else who wanted a set has one by now!)

When I received it, I immediately rearranged all the correspondences! Following is my list and the reasons for them. I would appreciate feedback from all you crystal experts if I have come up with something that just doesn't work. (That is, I put a stone that means "calm pleasant times" as the Tower!!)

Fool--clear quartz--innocence, emptiness
Magician--staurolite fairy cross--I associate the M with the four elements
Priestess--moonstone--GD sez Priestess is the moon and Moon is Pisces!
Empress--malachite--both set and Crowley say aventurine, but the malachite is closer to the colors of the Thoth card
Emperior--carnelian--both set and Crowley say jasper, but carnelian and E are more orange (jasper and Tower are more red)
Pope--yellow calcite--set and Crowley say topaz (yellow) but I saved that for the stronger Sun
Lovers--rose quartz--pink!
Chariot--amethyst--color of Thoth canopy, spirituality
Strength--tiger eye--tiger, lion, beast, what's the dif?
Hermit--blue calcite--reminds me of the RWS snowy peaks
Wheel--Botswana agate--has circles
Justice--aventurine--Crowley sez emerald, aventurine close to color of card
Hanged--sodalite--blue for water/Neptune
Death--mahogany obsidian--black for endings mixed with brown for earth
Temperance--rhodochrosite--red and white mixed, fire and water mixed
Devil--hematite--black and magnetic, temptation draws you in!
Tower--jasper--red, Mars, fire
Star--meteorite--from sky (but it's not pretty enough . . .)
Moon--pearl--comes from sea creature, Pisces
Sun--topaz--strong yellow
Judgement--amber--living thing reborn as something else
World--onyx--Crowley, very earthy, basic black

Crowley references are from 777.

(I'm bidding on a huge baroque pearl on eBay, and I got the sodalite and yellow calcite from another set I had.)

So what do you think?

I really liked it
n.n

Im working on my own lithomancy sets :)
Im really gonna add some of those interpretatiosn , although , perhaps it wont be so much tarot related