The Quest Myth: A Hero's Journey Spread

Owl Song

I would not be surprised if something like this has already been done. I've always loved the works of Joseph Campbell. I created this spread based on his myth analysis of the hero's journey. I hope that it can be used for personal insight and guidance. It would also make an apt springboard for writing and storytelling.

See: HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES by Joseph Campbell

LAYOUT:
Lay the 12 cards in a circle in a clockwise direction. This shows the cyclical pattern of the quest myth. The 13th card is laid at the center of the circle.

CARD POSITIONS:

1. Ordinary world – your world, background, and environment before the beginning of the extraordinary adventure. The setting and exposition.

2. Traits and personality - who are you? Are you a reluctant hero? A willing one?

3. Call to Adventure – A problem, challenge, or adventure is presented to you.

4. Refusal of the call – What holds you back in accepting the adventure; your inner conflict, fears, or struggle

5. Meeting with the Mentor – a teacher or guide that helps you train and prepare for your adventure

6. Crossing the first threshold – The first step in your path; your first lesson on your quest.

7. Tests and Enemies – What opposes you; the central conflict

8. Friends and Allies-Who you will meet upon your journey and how they will help you.

9. Ordeal - your darkest hour; your greatest obstacles

10. Approach - what resource you use to overcome the "ordeal;" a new way of "seeing." It is this fresh approach that allows you to triumph. Your secret inner strength.

11. Reward – what you have gained/ learned from your trials; a gift, insight. (Connect this card with #2 to show how you have grown spiritually)

12. Elixir – what you are able to give back to the “ordinary world” (society and community) after having successfully completed your quest

13. Integration - Once the hero has returned and bestowed this gift, how is this gift (elixir) to be used? Are you successfully able to come full circle between the ordinary world and the extraordinary one?

Faust

nice

this does seem like it would be a good spread to do maybe once a month and sort've get an idea of what the next few weeks hold, I personally wouldnt use it too frequently but yes, i definitely like this spread, I will have to try it sometime...good luck with it

a_shikhs

This is a lovely spread... Thanks Starlily for posting it..:)

Amhran

I really like this!

I had been trying to design a pilgrimage spread, and your spread, Starlily, could be used as one.

The only thing I might add is maybe right after "6. Tests and Enemies" I would maybe put "Friends and Allies--Who you will meet upon your journey and how they will help you."

Don't know if that fits in with Joesph Campbell's book, but I think it still works.

ArwenNightstar

Starlily said:
I would not be surprised if something like this has already been done. I've always loved the works of Joseph Campbell. I created this spread based on his myth analysis of the hero's journey. I hope that it can be used for personal insight and guidance. It would also make an apt springboard for writing and storytelling.

See: HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES by Joseph Campbell

LAYOUT:
Lay the 10 cards in a circle in a clockwise direction. This shows the cyclical pattern of the quest myth.

CARD POSITIONS:

1. Ordinary world – your world, background, and traits before the beginning of the extraordinary journey begins. The exposition. Are you a willing hero? Or a reluctant one?

2. Call to Adventure – A problem, challenge, or adventure is presented to you.

3. Refusal of the call – What holds you back in accepting the adventure; your inner conflict, fears, or struggle

4. Meeting with the Mentor – a teacher or guide that helps you train and prepare for your adventure

5. Crossing the first threshold – The first step in your path; your first lesson on your quest.

6. Tests and Enemies – What opposes you; the central conflict

7. Approach – A new way of dealing with the situation; a new way of “seeing”

8. Ordeal – your darkest hour; your greatest obstacles

9. Reward – what you have gained/ learned from your trials; a gift, insight

10. Elixir – what you are able to give back to the “ordinary world” (society and community) after having successfully completed your quest

I use a variation of this spread in my work with fiction writers. I add an 11th card though for overall theme.

Owl Song

After working with the spread a bit more and reading the feedback here I made a couple of changes.

I added a card at the beginning; I felt more was needed here to fully understand the setting and the personality/ nature of the querent.

I also took Amhran's advice and added a card for "allies and helpers." The Mentor card is there too. But the mentor is a teacher who helps you "prepare" for the journey. Allies and helpers are often companions that accompany you. In "The Wizard of Oz," for example, Glinda would be Dorothy's mentor. But Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Lion are her helpers.

I also shifted the order of "Approach" and "Ordeal." The Ordeal is the final battle, the final struggle. It's Frodo finally reaching the fires of Mordor. The "approach" is the culmination of everything learned on the journey. It's the resource that you use to win the battle.

I love the idea of a theme card as well and may try incorporating that somehow.

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone.

Mimers

Starlilly, I love this spread. It is going into my journal!

lolita

Thank You. I'm putting it in my journal.

augursWell

Very nice spread. I have so wanted to fully research Joseph Campbell's work and pull things like what are in this spread out of his work.

One question/idea. A circular spread like this always makes me want to stick a card in the center. Is there anything from Joseph Campbell that would suggest a "prime mover" or some sort of meaning for adding a card at the center of this spread?

Amhran

augursWell, How about ArwenNightstar's suggestion of "Overall Theme" being the center card?