Party Thoughts

ArwenNightstar

I worked a baby shower last night.

Thoughts:
1. Shorter party oriented readings so I can touch more people
2. Set a timer so I remember to take breaks. I read for 2.5 hours without every getting up from my chair.
3. More light next time

I let the gentleman who hired me set up my area. He did a FABULOUS job! Had a tent hung up in the front room with a table, table cloth, chairs and candles going. :)

I read for couples for 95% of the readings. I went over my 2 hours and my contact had to tell me that! So I must get a small clock for these gigs.

Over all it was very fun but I am still quite tired this morning!

Kiama

Other good tips for parties:

- Have a big glass of cold water next to you so you can take a sip during readings and in between.

- Also, have chocolate in the same manner, and eat it quickly between readings: good, quick energy boost in a very short amount of time.

- If anybody wants a really deep and complicated reading, offer to make an appointment with them at another time: those kinds of readings either take up all your time or you don't deal with them properly.

- Wear loose and comfortable clothing - being stuck in a top one size too big for you or a jumper that is too hot for the duration of a reading is absolute hell.

- Have fun! And make the readings fun - they don't have to be perfect or completely serious. It's a party after all!

Kiama

Netzach

When you do private parties (as opposed to events run by organisations) how do you charge? Does the host pay you or do you charge the guests? I hope you don't mind me asking but I've just recently turned professional and I'm still finding out how it works!

ArwenNightstar

Netzach said:
When you do private parties (as opposed to events run by organisations) how do you charge? Does the host pay you or do you charge the guests? I hope you don't mind me asking but I've just recently turned professional and I'm still finding out how it works!

I charge a flat by-the-hour rate with a two hour minimum.

Netzach

Thank you so much for answering my question. I'm squirrelling up all sorts of useful information!

ArwenNightstar

Kiama said:
Other good tips for parties: (snippage) Kiama

Thank you! Good points all the way around.1

HudsonGray

When you're doing something that puts out that much energy, always make sure to eat something solid when you get home, to restoke the body. Protein, meat, not pizza! It needs to be something nice and solid. I used to do three day conventions and the last thing after getting home and unloading was to go out and get a meal of steak or something nice and non-greasy. It really helped to feel better the next day when I had to go in to my regular job on Monday.

Shade

I read at a holiday party for some teenagers last month and just kept chugging along doing reading after reading. I ended up reading for 5 hours straight through before saying "Ok if there are any more 'burning question' I'll do those but then I have to leave." The mother who hired me was so impressed she added 50% of the fee as a tip.

In the beginning when people sat down with me I generaly asked "What would you lik eto know about?" I discovered things went more smoothly when I changed it to "At these events most people want to begin with a general queston and usually something you have ben wondering about will surface. It cut that 2 minutes of "what can I ask about?" down and everyone got what they wanted.

Emeraldgirl

I did quite a few corporate Christmas parties recently and the main tip I have is do NOT drink alcohol through the parties no matter which drunken guest tries to get you to. It can make you doubly tired and drained. Also if people are paying you to read then that's what you should be doing not drinking their alcohol.

ArwenNightstar

I made sound like a fuddy-duddy, but I NEVER drink and do Tarot. Not a good combination as all.