Good Way To Preserve Tarot Boxes

Abrac

I received a new deck today from playingcardsales.com that had two little pieces of cardboard stuck between the cards and the box, one on the front and the other on the side, presumably to secure the cards for shipping. Then I realized that all my decks have this little gap between the cards and the box. If cardboard could secure a deck for shipping I thought, why not all the time? So I cut little pieces of cardboard for all my decks and secured them with it. Now my decks feel a lot more secure and solid; and I don't have to be concerned about them getting squashed in storage.

Thanks playingcardsales.com!!!!!! :)

-fof

tarotbear

You were fortunate ...

78 cards means there are 80 spaces on the card stock and therefore two blank cards. Some companies give you other information, some give you ads for other decks, some just create a non-card.

It can mean that once upon a time the company used slightly thicker card stock and now is going thinner!

If you tend to have decks stored more than in use, the extra cardboard could keeps things from shaking around when transporting them.

OakDragon

I've found that some companies (like LS) that sell decks both separately and with companion books, use the same card box in both cases, but leave out the LWB when the deck is sold with a book. Without the LWB, the deck does not fit as well and the box tends to wear out and become useless quickly. I wish they would keep the LWB with the deck in those cases, if only to protect the box.

WolfSpirit

playingcardsales.com has a wonderful way of wrapping their decks !
I bought a few (even very cheap) decks there, and they had made a parcel of it with little pieces of cardboard to make sure both piles of decks were the same height to pack it more securely.
I was really impressed with their approach.
I tend to make bags for my decks so I am not too concerned about the boxes - but I see it is a good way to keep the box in shape :)

Annabelle

Preserving boxes is a big issue for me as a collector . . . because I have this constant habit of actually using my decks instead of just letting them sit! :)

If there's too much space in a box, it gets squished. But if the cards are packed in tightly, then the box top gets frayed and worn quickly. In some cases I just say to heck with the "collectable value" and let the boxes get worn, or even toss them. But in many cases, I end up keeping the cards in a tarot bag, and folding the box flat and storing it separately.

And then there's a whole other category of decks and sets that just aren't to my taste, that are still in their packaging and still pristine . . . awaiting my decision to either keep or sell.

xx Annabelle

Lillie

I have madame Endoras fortune cards.

They fit so tightly in the box that I have to shake them out violently, then, after, I have to hammer them back in again. (Usually with my hand, not an actual hammer.)

So, some too tight, some too loose.
There must be a perfect fit somewhere!

Abrac

Annabelle4, I keep telling myself I'm not going to become a card collector. Who am I trying to kid? :D

Folding the boxes flat sounds like a great idea.

It occurred to me that occasionally a deck will become warped from sitting around unused. Packing the box with cardboard might also help with this problem. Only time will tell on this one.

-fof

Annabelle

fools_fool said:
It occurred to me that occasionally a deck will become warped from sitting around unused. Packing the box with cardboard might also help with this problem. Only time will tell on this one.
Ah, you're right . . . I've noticed this, too. If I store cards in a bag or in a loosely-fitting box for a long while, they do sometimes get a slight warp. I would think that putting pieces of cardboard in to make the box a tight fit for the cards would be a good idea for long-term storage.

But I suspect that moisture in the air plays a part in warping cards, too. I've noticed that paper (like stacks of copy paper) will pick up moisture and wrinkle or warp sometimes, so I'm guessing this might happen with cards, too.