Major-ly puzzled.

Rosanne

I was reading a book about Goddesses and Tarot and came across this statement-
"of the twenty one cards of the Major Arcana, the first seven are associated with the physical level of existence, the second seven with the life of the soul, and the third seven with the spirit."
The writer then goes on to say the Empress (3) is the representer of the first seven, The Hanged Man(12 1+2=3) represents the second seven, and is the perfect representation of the soul. The World (21 2+1=3) covers the last seven. What I cannot decipher is why the Hanged Man is in her terms the mediator (representing the soul), between the physical world and the spirit?.
We are born into the material world (well of course! :D ) and through the Hanged Man fulfill our destiny on Earth. This sounds to me to be the Christian viewpoint of 'through sacrifice we obtain heaven'
I tend to think of the three groupings with the Fool outside of these groups, as the following -The Physical World and what we can be (1st seven) the consequences of our Humanity (2nd Seven) and thirdly the Outcome (3rd seven). I feel somewhat puzzled this 'mediator' between the groups and why? Can any one enlighten me ? ~Rosanne

mnemosyne7

Hi Rosanne,

I guess everyone has a different take on this, but here's one perspective. The Hanged Man is somewhat of a mid-point, if not exactly mid-way, on the Royal Road. For me, from this vantage point, I can see where I've been and where I may be headed. But the Major Arcana experiences beyond the Hanged Man - in my view - often require something other than a purely human perspective to fully appreciate their value. Hence, I must begin to stand on my head to see things in a different light. In that way, the Hanged Man is about perspective. One of those perspectives may involve understanding that the things of the body and our individual selves are perhaps not as important as we once thought ... so we begin to let go ... or are forced to let go with a little help from the Universe. This surrender CAN be linked to the Christian view of attaining Heaven, but you certainly don't have to look at the Hanged Man as being a pathway to Heaven. Perhaps it is simply a pathway to Higher Self. The beauty of the Tarot is that YOU get to decide!

One more perspective on the Majors in groups of seven:

The Fool - self
1-7 - discovering self
8-14 - discovering the relationship between self and other
15-21 - discovering the relationship between self and all there is/is not

Lay the cards out in three rows and play a game. Try to find the similarity between cards 1, 8 and 15 or 2, 9 and 16, and so on.

And remember that there are many ways to divide and sub-divide the Majors - the three groups of seven are just one pattern of many.

And that's my two cents.

By the way, what book are you reading?

Mnem

Alta

The I Ching uses this grouping too. The lowest two lines are the physical earth and so on. The middle two lines are 'man' and the top two lines are Spirit. Man sort of hangs between Heavan and earth, a part of both. Clinging to worldy matters and yet reaching for Heavan. Suspended.

dadsnook2000

Another reference

The book, 78 degrees of wisdom, also looks at the tarot in this three groups of seven cards and also in the relationships between the three groups. Aside from this, Rachel Pollack also reviews the minor arcana suites by starting at the King and working back toward the Ace -- a really nice way of doing this. Dave.