Universe Cards

a_shikhs

Hi... i bought this oracle deck today.. I fell in love with the artwork.. It is way too beautiful.. Does anyone have this oracle??? And how is it for readings???

Alta

I have it and at least one other person here reads with regularly. I like it a lot, it appeals to my scientific nature and works well as a divination deck. Howver, I rarely do entire readings with oracle decks (except in the Soul Gathering exercises) preferring to just draw a single card to provoke association and intuition.

raeanne

Hi,
Yes, I have these cards. I love the images. The cards work very well for me if I stick with more technical or spiritual questions. I haven't had much luck using them for emotional issues. This makes a lot of sense if you know my personality. I have a Master of Astronomy degree so the science side of me really connects with these cards. To me the universe is a very spiritual inspiration. One of my favorite songs has the following:
"And the spirit fills the darkness of the heavens.
It fills the endless yearning of the soul.
It lives within a star too far to dream of.
It lives within each part and is the whole.
It's the fire and the wings that fly us home."
So, it just makes sense that these cards would work for technical or spiritual question for me. Someday....yeah, when ever that comes....I would like to work on a complete tarot deck using images from the major observatories. The Orion nebula, a wonderful stellar nursery, would HAVE to be the Empress!

a_shikhs

I opened this deck last night and fell in love with the cards.. They are way too beautiful. And what a beautiful way of combining spirituality and science.. I was really impressed.. The accompanying book is great.. It explains each card in detail.. Besides divination, you learn so much about astronomy too... ;)
Thanks Marion and raeanne for the replies... :) I love the song.. Its so apt..

But i feel that the cards are a little too huge to hold.. Has anyone tried cutting off the edges as it is a little uncomfortable to shuffle... But the deck on the whole is awesome..

Lurea

These cards are too large for me to rifle-shuffle as I usually do. I tried a couple of times but found that it bent the cards enough that the deck started splitting at the same place over and over again (so I'd get the same card day after day, that bugs me).

Since there's not that many of them, now I just fan them out and pick one or two and that works really well. I've done one reading for someone else that was relatively well received, and used them for daily draws. I like the book that comes with them; the fact that it combines scientific knowledge, then the oracular meaning, ending with an exercise you do--it helps me really understand the card meanings.

Sophie

I love those cards. I've had them for some months now, and I use them alone or in combination with tarot. I also read them with random poems - I've always associated deep space with poetry. Something about seeing the scientific and the poetic working together...

A few months ago I did a series of readings mixing that deck and a poem. It was a fascinating experience.

The creator of the Universe Cards, btw, is a member of this forum :)

darwinia

Science, "the way the camera follows us in slo-mo"

Helvetica said:
Something about seeing the scientific and the poetic working together...

Oooooh, now you're talking Helvetica!

Just a reminder that we were discussing the Universe Cards with Kay (Leo62) in relation to the William Blake Tarot:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=49228

And on rereading the thread I notice you mentioning the Medieval Scapini and a Peter Ackroyd book. I have just traded for the Scapini deck in the trading forum thanks to one of the great members here, so I shall have to explore this other book.

I am still reading the Ackroyd bio. and savouring it. It's my bedtime reading book, so I read it in between other books, but I like it that way since it cements itself in my mind.

a_shikhs

Wowwww... I had no idea that Leo62 was the creator of this deck.. Wowww.. That's so cool.... Its really a great deck.. I did a reading for a friend and it was so apt.. Infact even she wants this deck now.. She was really attracted to this particular deck..:) Leo, this an amazing deck.. What a beautiful way to combine science and spirituality.. :thumbsup:

Leo62

Hey another Universe Cards thread! ;) Glad you're enjoying the deck a_shikhs. :) Funnily enough, I've been using them more again lately. I find they work well in conjunction with a tarot deck, especially the William Blake (see darwinia's thread) which is also focussed on the cosmic/spiritual side of things. Weirdly, I tried it with Madame Endora last week and that worked pretty well too! :confused:

a_shikhs

Leo62 said:
I find they work well in conjunction with a tarot deck, especially the William Blake (see darwinia's thread) which is also focussed on the cosmic/spiritual side of things. Weirdly, I tried it with Madame Endora last week and that worked pretty well too!

I was just wondering how do you combine an oracle and a tarot deck??? :confused: I mean do you use any particular spread or something??