Gift vs. Purchase?

roc

My roommate is of the opinion that Tarot decks are supposed to be gifts and not purchased. In my experience, the decks I work best with have been individual purchases. What are your experiences with them?

bladeraven

If I had waited to be given a Tarot deck, I would have waited forever...I think there's a thread on this...but Tarot decks given as gifts are forever cherish...but then again...what about that expensive Tarot deck that you always wanted and would like to work with...despite the number of hints and spray painting this is what I want on the wall of your home for fellow love ones and friends to see...one may never get it.

It's really a myth that Tarot decks have to be given to work....it's almost to the point what about the first Tarot deck? It couldn't have just been given as a gift but had to be created...

If one is superstitious enough I can see this as applicable, but gift or purchase...the best Tarot deck are the ones you forever connect with...or until you see a new one posted here on AT then you have to get that one too....or three...or four.

brenmck

Maybe the real gift is the desire to investigate and read the Tarot. Our guides smile as they put the "right one' in our hands. They are the givers.

~B~

vision777

i think its better to get your own tarot deck because only you know your self best and know what you like. it would be nice to get one as a gift but people these days don't just go out side buying their friends tarot cards unless they are interested in the subject them selves get the point?

One Armed Scissor

The only deck I have so far was a gift. It was from a friend, but not to close of a friend. More like an aquaintance, but she managed to know something very deep and personal about me, that most of my closest friends didn't. I don't even talk to her much anymore, but I'm forever gratefull for this birthday gift she gave me.

Purple Myst

My first deck was a gift, a quite unexpected one from my mother for Christmas, as she doesn't believe in tarot and is quite religious. It's the only deck I own so far, but I have some nice decks on my mind once I am more developed. ;)

But I don't think it matters if you receive your first deck as a gift or purchase it yourself. As long as the deck feels good to you, that's the most important thing. :)

Little Baron

I have given decks as gifts to people but I never received one, unless I specifically asked for it when someone was clueless about a birthday or Christmas present.

I don't think it needs to be gifted .. it is just a nice thing to recieve, if it is. Unless, of course, it is a really poor deck. Even though I chose it when with her, my mum payed for a deck for me. For that reason, it is special.

I probably won't have children (never say never, I know) but I have often thought about the children of close friends - most under 5, and a few under 10, at the moment. I think of one day, when they are a little older, which ones I would gift decks to and what they would be. If I ever found out that I was going to die, I think I would, spend some time, making little packages - writing little letters and popping a deck into each parcel for each of those lovely children's 18th birthday. Of course, I hope that I will not be passing away so soon. It's just a morbid fantasy, lol.

LB

gregory

I have been given decks and I have bought decks (BOY have I bought decks.... }))

Gifts and boughten feel no different to me. And I wouldn't have the GALL to ask for some of the ones I want as gifts.... $$$$$$$ or £££££££....... (people woudl need to know what to buy me - a tough one.)

My best readings come from one I bought for myself.