Someone help the beginner...

MareSaturni

...with a small, very stupid question.

I don't quite understand what a ascendant sign does. I know mine, but i don't get what's all the fuss about. When i say my sun sign is Sagittarius and my ascendant is Sagittarius too, the people who know a bit more of astrology get all "ohhh...you're soooooo Sagittarius" and i don't...know what to think. What do they mean?

I'm sorry, i know this is stupid but i've just started to deepen my astrology studies...all i know is the zodiac characteristics, dates, elements and other basic stuff. I don't know the other signs (ascendant, moon etc.) in the astral map.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

~Yuko

dadsnook2000

Ascendant and Ascending Sign and First House

Ascendant and Ascending Sign and First House . . . these three each have a subtle difference, miss_yuko. Let me offer a brief explanation.

The ASCENDANT
This is the specific sign and degree position rising on the eastern horizon at the moment the chart is calculated for. The Ascendant degree represents your "point of experience." Planets that aspect this point will influence your manner of experiencing life's events. Planets that transit this point will trigger events that relate to the nature of the transiting planet and the nature of that planet's place in your natal chart (along with the typical ways you tend to use or express that planet's energies).

The ASCENDING SIGN
This is the zodiac sign that contains the Ascending degree point. It provides an overall quality or mode of expression, it colors your personality to some extent. For example, if you had Aries as an ascending sign you would tend to be very forward, enthusiastic and energetic in your mannerisms. If you had Taurus as an ascending sign you might tend to be more settled or quiet in your manner of speaking, more appreciative of your surroundings and appearance.

The FIRST HOUSE
You didn't ask about this but I thought I'd mention it relative to the zodiac sign that covers the bulk of the first house of a chart. This sign might be different from the sign of the Ascending degree. If you had, for example, 28 degrees of Aries as an Ascendant point, then Taurus would likely make up the bulk of your first house. You would therefore need to blend both Aries and Taurus into a likely influence of your quality or mode of expression.

Note that all of this "sign" consideration and meaning can easily be displaced by strong planetary placements in/near the first house and ascendant. The planets are "energy" being expressed. Signs have no such power, nor do houses. Signs very lightly "color" the form of planetary expression (and may not actually have much influence in some charts) while houses provide a place or area of life for those planetary energies to express themselves. Dave

wizzle

I think we are going to have a study group on the Ascendent eventually, but I'd like to add to what Dads said the following:

- The ascendent, as modified by planets, shows how you interface with the world. It is the filter through which you see the events and people around you. It is also how they see you if they don't know you well. It is what you show as a first impression.

- The ascendent deals with your appearance to a large degree. If you accept the idea of karma, it is the costume you are wearing for this particular incarnation.

If your sun and ascendent are in different signs, your costume (the ascendent) may or may not be appropriate for your role (your sun). Think of a person in a play and how they might or might not be dressed. A king in begger's clothes will seem inappropriate and it will take others a while to see beyond the clothes.

Hope that helps.

p.s. A thread that discusses sun, moon and ascendent

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=9861