Tarot-Psychology/Psychology-Tarot

being_chrysalis

Starting a new thread to see about the interest of discussing use of tarot in clinical therapy settings (including health care professions ;) )

Lots of room to talk - Jung, projective identification, research on the use of tarot in psychology.. and all those great books out there

anyone interested?

Kaylee Marie

I wanted to major in Psychology in college so I could do just this sort of thing, but my parents were footing the bill and they said no. Ended up with a practical business degree that I don't even use. :( But enough about me...

Yes, this is a fascinating topic! I picked up the Jung and Tarot book a few years ago and was sorely disappointed... don't waste your money. But there are so many potential applications for tarot and alternative analyses of the psyche that clinical psychologists don't make use of. Or don't use enough, I should say. I'm sure there are some who are using interesting techniques with their patients, and I'd love to hear about them!!

tarotbear

"Jung & Tarot" by Nichols? Total waste of time - about 12 good sentences in it worth reading. When I flipped through it in the store one or two things caught my eye - and those were probably the only worthwhile sections.

Melvis

This is the best (and, really, the only) book I've seen that discusses the intersection of these two topics. (Spectrums of Possibility by Dr. Arthur Rosengarten) Dr. Rosengarten summarizes each topic separately, then illustrates how he's combined the two in his practice. I was so moved by the vignettes he provides, where he shows how the tarot helped some of his patients through difficult periods of their lives.

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

tarotbear

Mind Meld!

WOW- Melvis! That looks really interesting! Too bad I can't afford to buy another book any time soon ... will have to put it on a wish list for now. :(

being_chrysalis

I have that book!

And I've noticed there are a *few* Jung and tarot books out there... Unfortunately the only one I have is the Nichols book :/

Anyone have the Jungian Tarot deck and/or book?

anyone read about jungian archetypes?

Then there's my favorite topic - the use of Tarot in IFS therapy (see the other post about tarot counselling for that)

Kahlie

Not Tarot... but...
The Enlightenment Pack and the Love Pack (Two Oracles) are both made by Chuck Spezzano, who holds a Doctorate in Psychology.

I have used the Love Pack extensively with my Lover, to draw Cards each week, and talk about them. We also started using the Enlightenment Pack. Both decks include a comprehensive book.

I found it very helpful. He has a website, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it? In any case, the Organisation he works with is called Psychology of Vision.

Kahlie

dadsnook2000

Tarot and Psychology

Arthur Rosengarten's book, Tarot and Psychology, is really a valued book for me. I like both his small-scale statistical studies on spreads and cards (which anyone can do on their own) and his use of "clustering." While many of us have done this to some degree or other, his way of structuring the clusters into specific lens to view segments of a spread (like the Celtic Cross) are interesting and helpful. Great all-around book. Dave

Skydancer

Kahlie - I have these cards also, but I find it more useful to assign my own meanings to the cards. For instance, Revenge (the person out on now breaking ice) does not mean revenge to me. I wonder, when it comes up in a reading, if I am the person out on the ice, or the person trying to help. Or ... did I push that person out there? Have I left them stranded? Or am I the one out there about to fall through.

Like that!

*S*

edited to add: Dave - I have that book also! Am re-reading it now as we speak, so to speak! I really like the ideas he presents about clustering. Very insightful technique.
I see we were posting at the same time!

Sienna

I have Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis, he is also a practising psychiarist and he lectures internationally on Divination.

I can't recommend this book enough, he is very practical and down to earth.

Best book on the Tarot I have read to date.

Sx