Markets

Emeraldgirl

Last week I had a new experience I tried market stall reading. It was really fun and quite busy although I had to shut down the stall early due to weather conditions. So here's a few things I learnt that may be of help to people:

1 - Weather. This was an open air market and it was a very windy day. Have added a bag of crystals to my basket to place on cards to sop them from blowing away if there is similar circumstances. Also I had to keep moving to try and get they shade as it was a 40+ degree day.

2 - Explain to the organisers that some religious types may be threatened by tarot reading so please don't give the fundies the booth next to you.

3 - Bring lots and lots of water.

4 - If you are selling items as well as readings make sure there is at least 2 people at the stall. You can't focus on readings and shoplifters at the same time. Also handy for food and toilet breaks.

5 - Don't overcharge. People expect bargains at markets. I was doing short 10-15 minute readings and handing out business cards for more indepth ones. And was very busy cause it was a family market and kids don't have a lot of cash to play with. Also get cash upfront. It is very easy to blend into a busy market crowd should someone want to.

6 - Shameless self promotion. Big signs are needed. There are so many stalls and sellers of things at a market why should people spend time at your stall? You need to advertise and grab their attention.

That's all I can think of at the moment. It was really like doing at huge party so most of the same rules apply.

tarotbear

I have an 8' x 10' screen house - one that is big enough to go over a picnic table? I have used it outdoors to define 'my space'. Even with transparent walls it gives a sense of 'room' to the proceedings. That way if you are lucky enough to have someone to sell for you, once you walk into your 'Portable Tarot Space' they can cover for you 'outside. With a cheap rug, a small table and two plastic chairs - you are all set.

A large market umbrella can be great on a calm sunny day, but hell if a breeze kicks up!

Bring your own toilet paper, kleenex, and hand santizer in case the owners are not big on maintaining the facilities!

A cell phone in case of an emergency - or theft.

Anything 'free' will disappear - so either bring a lot of brochures and business cards, or only hand them out to those who have paid for a reading.

This is a shot of my last booth where I used leftover Halloween trees made from carpet rolls as trees - added some grapevines and defined my 'space' at a Mardi Gras.

Attachments

• Booth A.jpg
    Booth A.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Booth B.jpg
    Booth B.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 204

ArwenNightstar

1. Wet wipes
  2. Freeze bottles of water the night before so they thaw slowly during the day. You will have ice water still at the end
  3. TARPS! Use them underneath and on the back and sides to create a wind block
  4. Brochures that go into a bit of detail about what you do (Saves you from losing folks when you don't have time to chit-chat)
  5. Notebook for people to sign up for mailings or discounts or newsletters... whatever, just a way to build your mailing list
  6. What Is Tarot hand out for those fundies that happen by
  7. A HUGE SMILE
  8. Mouthwash spray or mints

abella

Loved viewing your space. :) And the 8x10 screen house is a great idea.

tarotbear said:
This is a shot of my last booth where I used leftover Halloween trees made from carpet rolls as trees - added some grapevines and defined my 'space' at a Mardi Gras.

catlin

- Don't forget a ball pen for your notebook ;)

- Make sure you check before where the restroom is.

- Try to make arrangements about the possible place for your booth before, you don't want to end up next to some fundies or next to a Church.

- The flashier your decoration, the easier to notice for ppl.

- Invest a few bucks in good business cards, they are worth it.

- Make sure your stall can easily be cleared in case of an emergency (yes, I will safe my cards and my neck!!!) or in case of bad weather.

- As for open air readings, don't forget something to attach to your spread cloth to prevent it from flying away (last year I attended a Medieval Fair and the wind was so strong it blew my scying ball off the table).

- Arrive early for the event.

Demon Goddess

-- Change sufficient for giving change to your customers.

-- A personally carried pouch or money bag so that you don't have a cash box that someone can easily lift while your back is turned.

-- Your own lunch is always a good idea... markets tend to be hit or miss as to whether or not a decent (affordable) lunch is readily available.

with love