Two Ascendants? Or Daylight Saving Times confusion?

MareSaturni

Just a question...when you are getting a Natal Chart, what time are you supposed to use if you were born in Daylight Saving Times?

Let me explain my situation: my mother, a long time ago, made a brief astral chart for me. In that chart (she used an old computer software) my ascendant is Sagittarius. I was born at 7:22 AM - ignoring the Daylight Saving Times, that would be 6:22 AM.
However, 'studying' it myself right now, using the 6:22 AM as my hour (the solar hour), i found out my ascendant could be Capricorn - a surprise after always thinking my ascendant was Sagittarius.

Looking at the chart my mom made...i she used the 7:22 AM. But that wouldn't have made much different, since 'd still be under Capricorn (as i checked in some sites and tables). So what's the source of her mistake? Or was she mistaken at all?

I visited some sites that give those free charts and...well, they did not help. In some, my acendant is Capricorn. In others, it's Sagittarius. Looking at the chart my mother made, that 9 o'clock line (i know little of charts so, please, excuse my crude terms) that 'shows' the ascendant is almost in the line that separates Sagittarius from Capricorn.

Now i have a great doubt...which is my acendant? And which hour am i supposed to use? 7:22 (with Daylight Saving) or 6:22 (without Daylight Saving)?

I've just started studying Astrology a bit deeper (all i knew was the basic of the basic), and i'm using myself as a guinea pig. But now i'm very confused...how do you sort this kind of thing out?

~Yuko

PS1. If that's any information you need...i was born on December 1st, 1987.
PS2. These are the sites in which i got my "Free Natal Chart":
http://www.cafeastrology.com/
http://astrology3d.com/

...are they reliable?

dadsnook2000

You use . . .

You use the time of your birth as it occured and was indicated by the clock on the wall. If Daylight Savings Time was in effect then you use that. Astrological software does several things with the time value you enter. It recognizes the time zone you are in and makes an adjustment for the time zone difference between your birth location and Greenwich, England. Next, it makes an allowance for Daylight Savings Time or any other time adjustment that may have been used in your country and at that location. Then it calculates the Sidereal Time at Greenwich. Following this, it makes an adjustment in Right Ascesnsion relative to the actual longitudinal difference between Greenwich and your birth location. This is most often different by a few minutes at least and may be different by over an hour -- all depending upon where your birth was within the span of geography covered by the width of the time zone.

After all this, it recognizes your latitutde, calculates the houses relative to the MC (RMAC) and Ascendant, places the planets in the correct signs and houses. It really is quite straight forward -- if you enter the correct data.
I have no idea where in the large country of Brazil you were born or now live, so calculating a chart for you will not give specific answers. BUT, you do have to enter the correct time, location and date. Dave.

MareSaturni

dadsnook2000 said:
You use the time of your birth as it occured and was indicated by the clock on the wall. If Daylight Savings Time was in effect then you use that.

So, even if DST was in effect during my birth, i must keep my time just like it was indicated by any clock? 7:22 instead of 6:22? I thought you only used the solar time, ignoring the DST. Gotta study more!

dadsnook2000 said:
I have no idea where in the large country of Brazil you were born or now live, so calculating a chart for you will not give specific answers. BUT, you do have to enter the correct time, location and date. Dave.

Hum...so, you know the time, the day is December 1st, 1987 and the location of my city (Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil) is:
Latitude: 30° 03' South
Longitude: 51° 10' West

Is this the information needed to make the chart?

Can you recommend me any accurate software you know to make natal charts, by the way? Even a trial version is fine i just need to see how it works myself.

I remember you answered my other thread as well...thanks for all the help you have been giving me :)

~Yuko

wizzle

Miss Yuko,

Dads answered for the software at most of the websites. You have all of the information you need to enter into astro.com or some other service.

However, if you purchase software it may or may not work quite the same as the advanced software on the web. You will have to deal with the instructions for program you purchase and learn how to use it yourself since there are variations from one program to another.

MareSaturni

wizzle said:
Miss Yuko,

Dads answered for the software at most of the websites. You have all of the information you need to enter into astro.com or some other service.

However, if you purchase software it may or may not work quite the same as the advanced software on the web. You will have to deal with the instructions for program you purchase and learn how to use it yourself since there are variations from one program to another.

Of course, of course...i understand now. Thanks for telling me.

~Yuko

MareSaturni

Anyway...different websites keep showing different ascendants for me, no matter the time. I don't know what to do...or in which to believe.

~Yuko

dadsnook2000

And, the answer is . . .

Miss Yuko, your Ascendant is 24 degrees, 0 minutes Sag., based on the data given and using the 7:22 AM birth time. The software calculated the time zone as 2:00 BZ2D.

ASC @ 24-00 Sag
MC @ 07-19 Virgo
Sun @ 08-38-24 Sag
Moon @ 21-16-20 Aries
Mercury @ 26-38 Scorpio
Venus @ 04-07 Cap.
Mars @ 04-45 Scorpio
Jupiter @ 20-07 Aries, Rx
Saturn @ 21-53 Sag
Uranus @ 25-49 Sag
Neptune @ 06-40 Cap.
Pluto @ 11-01 Scorpio

And, my feelings are different than Wizzles concerning Internet astrological programs. The few times I have used them I have found them awkward to use as the data entry formats vary, and sometimes they use older, standard, easy to license software that is easily surpassed by the commerical software that you have to pay a reasonable amount of money for. You get what you pay for. Dave.

MareSaturni

Thanks Dave, for everything. It seems i need to get a better software ;)

So, this site where i found my natal chart...they say that it might not be 100% accurate, but i'd say it's somewhat off-the-wall. When i used the 7:22 in it, my acendant became Aquarius :O

Thanks, again. I'll look for a nice software to start studying astrology in a deeper level. And read some good books, of course.

~Yuko