Polishing crystals

Cascade

I noticed that there are dings and bigger than dings in my crystal skull along the jawline. Also on one of my wand tips. Is there a rubbing compound type polish for crystal? Or a cream? Thanks for any help.

tarotbear

Polishing stones and crystals? I don't think you can do it yourself. You may try contacting a gem society or a busness like that - maybe go to a large rock & mineral show and ask. Cutting and polishing stones is done with a wheel of some sort (as opposed to polished stone pieces which are tumbled in a big drum.)

Alta

I think you can use paste wax for tiny little scratches but for anything larger tb is quite correct.

Ruby7

Marion said:
I think you can use paste wax for tiny little scratches but for anything larger tb is quite correct.

I agree also with Marion and tarotbear. Anything larger definitely needs the aggressive action of a grinding/polishing wheel (usually powered by a motor driven machine) special compounds, and the skill to do it. If you are not able to get to a rock and mineral show you could also try small independent jewellery stores, they quite often have a lapidary that they deal with.

Ruby7

lacewing

Antique and collectible shows (large traveling ones) usually have a grinding booth for crystal. They grind chips on the rims of crystal glasses.

wizzle

I got a tool to grind the rims of crystal glasses by hand. It works quite well for that. It's called "Crystal Saver by DMT." It's like a very very fine file with one curved and one flat surface. I don't know how well it would work on quartz but it smoothed out the chips on my good crystal nicely. I got it from a catalogue but forgot which one.