The deck picking who to read for?

tabi

I got a new deck this weekend, it is the Dragon Tarot. It was intended to be given as a gift to someone else. As I looked closer I choose to keep it because it is a little difficult for someone who is new to tarot to get into.

I personally have no draw what so ever to this deck (the signs of impluse shopping here), but I decided to give it a try to see how it worked out. I did several readings over the week, both for myself and for two other people. My readings make NO sense at all. The friends I did readings for said it nailed their question perfectly to the point of scary. So what is the problem:

Do some deck don't work for personal reading? Or is it because I have no personal draw to this deck effecting how it reads for me? Or do I simply need to use it more for it to make sense?

Also noticed that the Tower and Devil card unusual meanings than what I am use to. Wondering if I did myself a disservice by not getting the book and card set?

Thank you for any help

Lillie

Hi

What deck is it?

I often find it is harder to read for myself.
It is much easier to be objective about someone else, but sometimes when it comes to me, I just can't see (or perhaps don't want to see) the truth!

If this deck is giving good readings for other people, then it seems that you are connecting well with it. Perhaps you just need a little more time with it. Or perhaps it was the questions you were asking. Perhaps you didn't want to hear what it was telling you? (just a suggestion)

If you feel you need to know more about the symbols used by the artist than what you can see from just looking, then it might be a good idea to get the book too, as that usually explains why certain symbols were used.

Damn. Sorry. You said it was the Dragon Tarot.

But still, there are a couple of dagon tarots. Which one was it?
One of these I have looked at a lot, and I really like the dragon pictures.
But I don't know if I would ever get it, as it is very 'themed'. More dragon than tarot...
But I am sure that a lot of people like it.
It all depends what speaks to you. And if your readings were good with it, then perhaps it is for you.

souljourney

Do you find it hard to read because the pip cards aren't illustrated?
I just got the Labyrinth Tarot and it has unillustrated pips so it's a bit hard for me... lots of referencing the book. It only has a LWB.
I thought the Dragon Tarot deck has a LWB at least, even if you didn't get the bigger book with the set. If it's the deck I'm thinking of it's by US Games. Their LWB's seem to be ok.
I also find it harder to read for myself, and at times people I know well. I think that is because I already have person opinions about the situation I'm reading about. Try doing some readings here... where you don't have preconcieved ideas and maybe let that energy seep into the reading.
I would say if at some point you don't have a draw or connection then just trade the deck away. I'm trying to do that with some right now as a matter of fact.
Let us know how it goes.
SJ

tabi

It is the Dragon Tarot from US Games. It does have a LWB the meanings are understandable, but I have no idea how they got The Devil and The Tower meanings. The fact they don't really have anything on the pips may be part of the problem.

I generally don't have a problem reading for myself. Honestly mine tend to make the most sense to me. Mainly because I am so brutal with myself.

The deck itself is just okay with me. I love dragons, they are done really well but the over all color seems very dull. I don't like "dark" decks. There isn't a bad vibe to it at all the visual appeal isn't there for me. It feels good when I shuffle them, my readings just don't makes sense.

I am going to *TRY* working with them more. If they dont work they may be giving away to someone else or traded...well maybe not my nine year old son really likes them.

**So I have spent more time with the dragon deck, while it still isn't the greatest one to do readings for myself. It has definitely grown on me. I am starting to really like the art work, even the pips. I will say that the right ligthing does wonders to it. I love the quirkiness it seemed to have picked up. There are still some cards that I don't 100% agree with, like the Devil and Tower, but I read them first as how they are usually meant and if it doesn't fit I use their suggestions of it.

Still hunting for a deck for a 9 almost 10 year old boy.