A sad statement, really...

blackroseivy

That customer I have who wants her RICH guy to divorce his wife has been back. All that she wanted to know was if she was "going to get jewelry" from him for V-day...

*sigh*

I wish I could counsel this girl, but she really isn't paying me for that... is she?

(The answer, btw, was "The Ace of Coins". I wasn't surprised.)

Lillie

Well, that's some people, isn't it?

How can she actually be that shallow?
Who knows? but apparently she is!

I don't think it is any good counselling someone like that. I expect she is very happy with her life (and her jewellery!)
I don't expect she would see why she should change,

And no, that's not what she is paying you for.
So, take her money and run!
At least it is an easy question to answer. And she'll be pleased with it, and come back to give you more money for answering another inane, selfish, shallow question!

Sienna

It is disheartening when people want you to use the Tarot for shallow questions. But I agree whole heartedly with Lillie, the Universe wants you to benefit from this girl, otherwise it wouldn't have provided her! So yes take the money and run! Look on it as your reward for having to listen to her shallowness!

Love & Light
Sx

sharpchick

And from what you have said about this particular client, I'm pretty sure any counseling you did would sail right over her head. It looks to me like she's getting exactly what she wants - and deserves.

But that's just me.

blackroseivy

Wow, yeah, harsh words, here! :p

All I can say is, yeah, you're all pretty much right. I may be more concerned with my spiritual well-being than many of my clients will turn out to be. Also more aware in that way. So, I will give out such awareness where it is warranted, & where it is sought; & otherwise, I will try my best to simply serve up & deliver what they are looking for. After all, that's why they pay me the big bux, right? :p

Emeraldgirl

here are always going to be shallow people out there but that is a bit of heartless query. It's a pity but people like that very rarely change. I used to work with a girl who was like that and it never did bring her any happiness.

Sophie

Well perhaps it is sad, from the spiritual point of view, but we are all on our own path. This lady is not actually hurting more than herself in all this - and maybe that is the path she needs to follow in order to find her own meaning in life. We all follow our path, as best we can. Who are we to say - she is shallow, she is wrong?

The Ace of Pentacles is an interesting card. I've always seen the Pentacles as a bridge between matter and spirit - or more than that, the symbol of spirit in matter. Gone are the days, I hope, when we separate the two. The Ace represents the essence, the distillation of that link. It could be that her spiritual path goes via jewellery (or she could just be a greedy gold-digger - but then I'd have expected another card than this beautiful garden card).

I believe that jewellery has often been used as a metaphor for beauty and virtue - though a good woman is supposed to be worth more than rubies, according to King Solomon's Proverbs - and he should know ;)

And I ask a question: is the desire to receive a piece of jewellery from one's lover worse than the desire to receive a pack of cards, or a holiday - sentiments I have seen expressed on this forum? Love is a feeling, granted, but it also relies on gestures, and the gift of jewellery is a time-honoured gesture between lovers. Of course, if her question was - "how big will that rock be?" then we can question her feelings for this guy in the first place :eek:

firecatpickles

Thank you for the slam-dunk, Helvetica. I was in the same position about 10 years ago. If this person is lucky she won't be paying the price for the rest of her life.

Anyway, I was beginning to have flashbacks to Summer Vacation Bible School where there was a crash-course in learning how to become more judgmental... We naturals call this "passing Toth," and it is as dangerous as it sounds.

Reece

Kiama

If I had a client like that I would not see it as my place to try to change her - who knows, my own judgement of her could be wrong. She may really love the guy in question, and asking if he's going to buy her jewellry for V-day may be her way of confirming whether or not he loves her as much as his wife...?

Sometimes, as Tarot readers, I think we do need to just read for the question we are asked, take the money, and hope the querent knows what they're doing. I'm not a life coach - I'm a Tarot reader.

Blessings,

Kiama

Sophie

hehe Kilt's Knave, I'm as judgmental as anybody - if I count the number of times I've said "it's wrong" or "this person is wrong" and translate that into dollars, I'll be able to give her a piece of jewellery myself ;) - I'm just a contrary so-and-so, or maybe under undue influence of Justice...

But that Ace of Pentacles intrigued me, because it's material and spiritual, so...

I really don't think we can separate the two. The packs of cards we love so much, which are a spiritual support for us, are likely to be made in China, probably by underpaid, underprotected workers. Yet we covet them as much as this lady covets her jewellery from her lover.

so...I don't think it's an easy path to walk, that she's on, but perhaps she's not so far away - or we from her? (or at least me - trying for a bit of Chinese auto-criticism here :p)

Edited to add: well-said, Kiama!