7 Swords/Mary Greer

Horace

I just finished reading an article in the 2006 Almanac by Mary Greer. I started by skimming and then had to go back and re-read. The whole article made sense and I'll re-read it again, no doubt. But one really new thought came through, about the 7 of Swords. about it being something left undone. about teachings left in plain sight, but few know their value.
This is a lot different than the 'thief' card. This is like stealing the safe but leaving the key on the hook next to it? He is looking back, does he know that he's leaving some possibilities behind? I have such a hard time with this card, any comments will help. Hh

Rosanne

Welcome Horace to the Forum! Using RWS, I don't often see this as a thief card. I see the guy avoiding direct confrontation and by clever planning may be able to 'best' the opposition. ~Rosanne

tmgrl2

Self-awareness and growth...but not always quickly.

Can't do it all at once...this fellow doesn't have room to carry much more, suggesting to me that he is trying to get the knowledge or learning done in a "sweep" but as he glances back...

Oops...missed something here...will wind up having to back-track anyhow, before I can move forward toward completion.

Rerminds me of when I come in the house with about 10 bags of groceries...and I put as many as I can in each hand, thinking I can somehow make only one trip up the stairs....but...

I rarely can do it all at once. I usually have to come back for one or two...so

Solution?

What's my rush? If I have to come back anyhow, I really should think about taking things in a bit more "doable" fashion rather than create the frustration of a heavy load, which leaves me having to go back for the rest...ANYHOW!

terri

Ukkonen

One possibility to see this card:

He holds in his hands five swords - 5 of Swords,
He leaves behind two swords - 2 of Swords.

Beginning steps in dealing with a difficult situation -?

Horace

Thanks everybody

Well, you really confused me now. No, what you did was give me so many questions to think about.

He looks like he's gotten away with something. Are the 2 swords left, lost opportunities? I don't know if there was planning in this caper. It seems more like a spur of the moment take. Going with your interpretations, this card could be like a calculated risk? Or could it refer to censorship?
OH my...I'm getting paralysis from analysis! Hh

tmgrl2

Forgot to say welcome, Horace!!

Confusion is a good thing!!

Card meanings arise from the spread, the question (if there is one) the positions and interrelationships of the cards.....Learning what others say about the cards is a good beginning.

The other day I did a reading in the Advice thread and La Torre (The Tower) came to me as a Channeled Whelk....(it was a spiral tower).

I went with that.

It's a good idea to take a deck, one that you like, and journal what comes to you as you meditate on the card. There is no right or wrong when you read Tarot.

There are some standard meanings for suits and numbers and majors and minors....but beyond that the wonder of the interpretation occurs.

terri

Sulis

I see the 7s as challenges that we enter into voluntarily, they relate to the Major Arcana card The Chariot.
Swords represent the mind, thoughts, words, communication.

Put the 2 together and you get someone using their intellect or communication skills to get them out of a problem or a tricky situation.
This is a card about careful problem solving or planning.

You may find these threads useful:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=48529&highlight=swords
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=46506&highlight=swords
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=41652&highlight=swords
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=1392&highlight=swords

Love Sulis xx

Horace

Sulis, thanks for the links, I read them all. I noticed that the Fey card also has her face turned away.

I understand that in the challenge(7) of taking my thoughts(swords) into reality, (which is what I'm doing right here and now,) I will need a plan. As I carry out my plan, looking back, I might have some reservations about my choices.

But if the guy on the RWS was a better planner and his plan wasn't spur of the moment, don't you think he would have at least brought gloves? Hh