RWS/Thoth

archer1

I am new to Tarot about 3 mos or so... I have purchased different decks 4 of them are rws but for some reason I have an easier time with the Thoth deck. Any one have an idea as to why... I still am learning so I am working with both the decks..

thanks..

Alta

Maybe you should post that question in the Thoth Forum. :D

wizzle

I was pretty much in your shoes when I first started out with Tarot. I think it was largely because I find the colors in the Thoth a whole lot more appealing. Lady Harris did a wonderful job that way.

Also, the RWS is rather simple when compared with the Thoth. But that's really deceptive. As I've come to study the RWS, it's just as rich symbolically. And even the limited pallet I now find interesting. It has an elegance via it's the limitation I found boring at first.

They are both great decks. But you have to give a lot of credit to a deck like RWS which has spawned a zillion clones. As good as the Thoth is, it's not quite up there in terms of inspiration. Maybe it's just more difficult. I think it's amazing that the RWS can be at once simple and complex to the degree it is.

There is no earthly reason why it has to be Thoth versus RWS. In tarot we can have our cake and eat it too, but maybe not by putting both decks on the same plate. Enjoy.

starrystarrynight

Archer, I found the same thing. I do think that the pictures on the Rider-Waite deck are more conductive to learning the cards. Obviously, they are very descriptive. Each tells its own little story.

The Thoth, on the other hand...beautiful, artistic imagery that spoke volumes to me the first time I picked them up. But, I mean, look at them from a learner's perspective. Exactly what would make you think The Lord Of Peace when you look at the Two of Swords??

It's all a matter of taste. I would never let go of my R-W, but I usually use the Thoth to read.

job

I have the Thoth deck and the RWS (I think!?!). I can't use the Thoth deck for reading. To look at... sure. Reading... no.
The RWS deck picked me.

EDIT: I should say that I have books with the RWS cards in them.

ravenest

archer1 said:
for some reason I have an easier time with the Thoth deck. Any one have an idea as to why...
thanks..
Maybe you are a Thelemite?

archer1

Thanks to all for your help....

Not sure about being a Thelemite. Wouldn't even know where to begin with that one. Any suggestions....??????????????????

Dwaas

archer1 said:
Not sure about being a Thelemite. Wouldn't even know where to begin with that one. Any suggestions....??????????????????

You should definitely ask this at the Thoth forum :D

And answering your former question:
Why not appreciate each deck for it's specific character? If you work with more than decks you may find out differences in other decks as well being "easy" to learn, or decks which "speak louder" etc. I'd say just enjoy those differences and learn as much as you can, from all your decks no matter how many or less you have. :)
Blessings