All in the Family

firecatpickles

So I get my cheapo Thnder Bay TdM starter deck, and it comes in this huge box, with a book and everything (not that I am going to look at the book just yet), when my partner says, "So is this my tarot deck?" I told him if he wanted it to be --and he tells me he is going to read the book first! I

am very excited for him that he is taking an interest in tarot!

Anyone who has been in the same situation, please feel free to share your experiences and advice...

KK

Rhiamon

well, my hubby always looks through my new decks and tells me which ones he likes, and he has asked me to read for him a few times...but my 2 year old thinks any cards he gets, like an Old Maid deck that came in a Happy Meal, are Tarot cards like mommy's..LOL...does that count?hehe

P.s. congrats on creating another tarot junkie :thumbsup:

Deana

My husband has two decks: Universal/de Angelis and Fey. He uses them from time to time. Actually, he looks at the pictures on the Fey but turns to the Universal when he does an actual reading, which is two or three times a year.

My seven year old son has a Whimsical and a Hanson Roberts, and he's not happy with either. I wasn't comfortable getting him some of the ones on his wishlist because they have nudity that just doesn't seem appropriate for his age. He has a notebook that's officially his Tarot notebook, but he hates writing so he hasn't done much with it.

My mom has two decks, the Hanson Roberts and the Tarot of the White Cats. She's thrilled with both of them because she likes for things to be sweet and light, but she rarely does a reading and if she does, she'll usually ask me what it means and then she looks it up in the LWB to confirm...usually the LWB sounds like a fortune cookie and has nothing to do with what I just said, so she sighs and puts the cards away again. My dad bought her two actual books on Tarot, but she figures that if anyone knows the meanings of the cards, it would be the author of the LWB.

So far, my four year old son does not have a deck, but he loves to look at the pictures in the decks I have and he has definite preferences, such as the Druidcraft.

I haven't converted anyone else yet...

a_shikhs

My younger sister really wants to learn how to read the cards.. She has Magical Unicorns by Doreen Virtue and loves it.. Now she wants some serious readings and is after my life to teach her how to read tarot cards.. I am planning to buy her a deck after her exams and teach her once and for all.. :D

Sulis

Kilts-knave said:
and he tells me he is going to read the book first!

Hi Kilts_Knave,

I think you may be disappointed and so will your partner if you read the book first.
The book's probably ok but it doesn't go with a Marseilles deck - it's a RWS based book, nothing to do with the deck in the box at all - not really sure why it's sold as a set.

Sulis xx

Baroli

Well, since all of my relatives are "Bible-bumping-Baptists", (how's that for aliteration, LOL) and I am single unless you count my cat, who enjoys laying over them and occasionally when I am not looking bites them, my guess is no, not yet.

Baroli52

Emily

The deck that comes with the set is a very good reproduction Conver, but the book as Sulis says is pure RWS.

I read with RWS symbolism so the book found a place in my tarot library but I was also impressed with the deck and it is still the only pure Marseille I have in my collection :)