Why do so many intuitive readers suggest journaling?

Deana

Sorry if this seems like a daft question. I've seen lots of people suggest that the way to learn to read intuitively is to look at each card and write a journal entry about every thought that comes to your head about that card.

I've tried this with several decks, and then found later than I wasn't reading that deck intuitively; I was reading it through the filter of my first impressions when I wrote the journal entry...much the same as if I'd read a book and memorized the meanings. The only difference is that I came up with the meanings myself.

I get my best intuitive readings from decks I barely know. I can look at the cards and I don't have preconceived notions about what they mean, either from a book or my own previous reaction to them, and I can get some amazing leaps of intuition that seems to happen less with the decks I know inside out and upside down.

Or is that just what I tell myself so I can justify buying new decks? <g>

Has anyone else noticed journaling getting in the way of intuitive reading? Or am I just the odd one out on that? On another thread, someone called it "public school syndrome" and I really like that. I worked hard in school and cared about my grades because I thought those things would make me successful. They have not. Nine times out of ten, approaching life the way I approached schoolwork blocks me up and messes up whatever I'm trying to do. Maybe my brain sees what I wrote in my journal entries as "my answers" about a card and still goes into "get the right answer" mode.

This is how I run myself in circles: I get a new deck, preferably very different than what I'm used to and I get amazing intuitive readings from it. Then I start feeling like I'm just being lazy and that everyone knows you have to journal each card blah blah blah. So my "let's do it the right way" self journals each card, and then my intuition shuts down because it just likes to play. I am very good at running myself in circles because the part of me that wants structure and the part of me that feels caged in by structure can't work it out.

Alta

I think you answered your own question Deana! Stop journalling, it is not the learning method that works for you. I do not use it either.

But for many people it is invaluable. Different strokes I guess.

Grizabella

I don't journal either. I think it's that old public school syndrome again. (I was the one who said that. :) ) People read the suggestions given here and just automatically go into that mindset, thinking that's what a person has to do to learn tarot or that something else they read here is what they have to do. I know I felt that way at first. To learn tarot, do what works best for you. If journalling isn't it, then don't journal. I think sometimes people word their posts in such a way that it may sound as if there's just THE way to do the learning when they often only meant to give suggestions. There isn't just THE way to learn tarot. Learn by doing whatever works best for you and you'll get the best results. Then when you share what worked for you, just remember to phrase it as a suggestion. :D

Sheri

I don't journal (I didn't know what I was doing was called journalling until I joined AT) necesssarily as an intuitive learning method...I do it because I want to remember all my readings (doggone short term memory! :) ). I initially started so I could see how close my readings were to what really happened - especially when I asked about future events. It is also fun to go back through my first readings and see how my relationship with my beloved RWS deck has evolved. In fact the first few pages were IChing readings because that was what I was into before I discovered Tarot (Runes before that).

I have learned alot by just documenting my readings. Everyone has their own way of enjoying, celebrating and following their paths. For some, journalling works and for others it doesn't. I think I am somewhere in between (want to write it down but also lazy so only the minimum). :p

Thanks for a great question!

valeria :)

Sulis

I do journal and I've found that it helps me.

I write down my readings and I also write down my daily draws (when I can be bothered to do them).

I read through my journal every couple of months and I'm always quite amazed at insights I've had from cards that are unusual and not 'textbook' - if I didn't write them down, I'd have just forgotten them.
The journal is there just to remind me of things I've seen in the cards but haven't thought of since.

Sulis xx

tarotbear

Why do so many intuitive readers suggest journaling?

Just because you are intuitive doesn't mean you have a good memory ... :)

Sulis

tarotbear said:
Just because you are intuitive doesn't mean you have a good memory ... :)
That's what I was trying to say - thanks Tb

Sulis xx

Cerulean

What stage works for you is great!

If you wish, you may have already found that the style of tarot deck you prefer already has a structure imprinted in yourself. So a glance satisfies you on reading the structure and a new deck variation of an image adds a fresh insight.

If freshness is what someone may enjoy, maybe oracles or just reading other items might be where they are headed.

Some people like to interact with writing and add tarot. Or they interact with tarot and like the idea of adding writing for integration.

Some people interact with quick impressions and may not need to use a writing or drawing art to integrate what they desire to know or remember.

Some people just interact with images and want to simply chat about their impression, and leave it at that...or just do a rapid eye flick on whatever strikes them at that moment.

I may not yet have found the one perfect tarot deck that allows me to do so many different ways of interacting with an image that comes up. If I found my interaction with decks are going stale, I switch my mode of divination or may not read tarot for awhile.

Hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

Best regards,

Cerulean

Umbrae

I suggest journaling regardless of your learning style.

It helps us learn about ourselves. And Tarot, what we see and do with it changes and grows as we change and grow. Journaling allows is to look backwards objectively.

Nothing is static. Even our perception of reality is dynamic!

Rote memorization of keywords is a static exercise.

Journaling – even with memorization turns the static to dynamic. Let’s say you write some keywords about the 6 of Pentacles into a journal; you begin, “A present, a gift, generosity, gain.” And you start making connections…

Stephen King wrote “Dreamcatcher” in his hospital bed with pen and paper. IMO, the book blows – however there’s an afterward – where Stephen King talks about writing, not on a computer, but actual writing with a pen and paper. Go to the library and read the afterward.

Something happens when you take pen (or pencil, which I prefer for many reasons) and paper and begin to write. Things open up. Connections are made…

Journaling is a beautiful thing. It’s writing to and for yourself…

And as you do it, over and over, all about Tarot…you may find that your understanding, and appreciation of Tarot begins to expand.

It moves into the dynamic, just a little fuller…

:smoker:

agedog1

Journaling? I diagram all my readings. Maybe I'm wierd?

When I'm teaching my lecture notes are in Hebrew Letter, Tarot Diagrams, or symbols. That's my type of shorthand.

For example The magician = I, six of Pentacles 6p. If the card is reversed I ad a tiny r. For the planets I put their symbols. Say I want to emphasis something in my lectures - I put the symbol for Mercury down.

Maybe what I do is my own personal code?